• [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tysonk28 wrote:
Dude, that title....

That's why I clicked on the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that title...

"Are you lonely?" Nope. Not at all. I don't mind being alone, but I don't feel lonely. Why is it so hard for people to get not everyone wants to be surrounded by an entourage?

"Do you play with yourself?" Whaaaaa-?!? Oh wait, I'm not on reddit but boardgamegeek - context is everything. Man, I need to stay away from reddit more.

Honestly, I have no problems playing solo, going to dinner by myself, watching a movie alone, or going for a walk just to get some solitude. The title makes it sound like solo activities are somehow... not normal. Loneliness happens when you think you need someone there to be happy. I don't. (If you think I'm just a basement dweller, I'm not - I am happily married and my wife makes up the other 50-75% of my gaming.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always intend for it to be with 2 or more, but most of the time it doesn't work out that way.

Pete (makes do with what he's got)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Parish
United States
Bartonville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Sithlord extreme
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm alone in a hotel tonight with Internet and my iPad......yep.....agricola it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
The only time I'll play a board game by myself is to learn it and make sure I've understood the rules.

If it isn't made for solo play, then there's no point.

And if it is made for solo play, I generally find that it doesn't fit my definition of "game" (generally - I am aware that some few games have a form of AI, but I've never seen one rise above crudity that isn't worth bothering with - a computer game would be a much better option).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim's Dad: "It's like banging a tennis ball against a brick wall, which can be fun. It can be fun, but it's not a game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This rise in solo game popularity is why I designed a solitaire game. They are probably one of the most challenging types of games to design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some solo play when my fiancee isn't up to game with me but I've found out the hard way that it is not the same. So now I don't solo at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be interested to see the response from the 1 Player guild if you'd like more targeted results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Corrao
Italy
Caulonia Marina
RC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could play every day, I would like to play every day.
I could buy many games, but I get to play only once a week, a long session though.
I am not keen on solo games, you need the people, even better if friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played a board game by myself. That's what my Xbox is for. If Im alone I can just step into a world with thousands of other online gamers in a matter of seconds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Hunt
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
I've never played a board game by myself. That's what my Xbox is for. If Im alone I can just step into a world with thousands of other online gamers in a matter of seconds.

Your XBox plays your games for you?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo a lot. While I can't say I completely disregard the social aspect of board games, I think if the game is well designed, it will shine through in solo play. This applies only to games with official support for solo play, though.

More importantly, for me plenty of co-op games benefit from solo play. I feel a lot more tension if I'm the only person responsible and there is nobody to take a part of the blame/glory at the end. Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island and Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game are 2 such games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lancee
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played Agricola solo a few times. Once was to learn the game because the heaviest game I played before that was Catan. And a couple of times afterwards. I have some co-ops that lend themselves for solo play as well like Robinson Crusoe but they take a long time setting up, which I don't think is worth the investment. Rather just wait a couple of days until I can play it with some friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
olliehunt wrote:
bradelli wrote:

Depends on the game.

@Topic: Rarely.

If I play a board game in solo mode, it's most often part of the phase in which I am learning the rules and getting familiar with the game's flow. It's never a full game, though.

The game which I played most often solitarily is Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, which happened 4 times by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas W
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mb
If you lack human players to play with, ipad or web versions are imo the way to go - at least you can play the games the way they were meant to be played against AI bots. bonus - the games go by super fast! That said, you could also just play computer games too, like Civ, which I feel would appeal to many board gamers.

I can't really fathom playing a real board game though by myself, even if there are solo rules... it just seems too much hassle for the fun factor. And aside from solitaire games that are designed for it, you lose out on way too much playing solo versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had fantastic games of Field Commander: Napoleon which has an excellent inbuilt AI and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island which actually thematically makes more sense single player. It's a different experience to be sure from playing with others, but I don't think it's worse or better. I'm looking forward to the intriguing solo setup for Viticulture which comes with the Tuscany expansion. It looks to have a well thought out AI. We'll see how it goes.

I don't quite see why anyone should put anyone down for enjoying a game in a manner that works for them.

In regards to the title, I don't think "lonely" necessarily has any link to solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
olliehunt wrote:
bradelli wrote:

Yeah, it's called AI. I can load up a game of Halo and play against the Xbox. Mr Xbox offers a great challenge and can be asked to play gently or at a much greater skill level. Or I can log into Xbox Live and play against real people. I don't think I'd ever get into playing solo board games - it is just too easy to play other games online with other people, or play against the computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:

You may as well equate multiplayer video games to multiplayer board games as well. Board games and video games are different. I think they're both great, but they're certainly not the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the last, as I am not sure if any of my games need at least three players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Not sure about the last, as I am not sure if any of my games need at least three players.

Considering that for the past year most of my gaming has been being done with my fiance, or solo, I'd say an annoying amount of mine need at least three people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
Tysonk28 wrote:
Dude, that title....

Sorry, my english is not many good.
To clarify, in English, "playing with yourself" is a euphemism for masturbation. So your thread title appears to be asking if lonely boardgamers masturbate. A less ambiguous title might be "Do you play boardgames solo?" Actually just changing it to "play by yourself", instead of "with" yourself might be sufficient to avoid the euphemism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
robininni wrote:
Sorry, my english is not many good.
To clarify, in English, "playing with yourself" is a euphemism for masturbation. So your thread title appears to be asking if lonely boardgamers masturbate. A less ambiguous title might be "Do you play boardgames solo?" Actually just changing it to "play by yourself", instead of "with" yourself might be sufficient to avoid the euphemism.

*WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.