Zach Hillegas
msg tools
mbmb
FFG has just released the official FAQ/Errata and Tournament rules. If you take a look at the tournament rules, there's artwork for a droid that shares (some) resemblance to a Magnaguard from Episode III. If I were a betting man, I'd say this is our first look at a new unit to come. I wouldn't doubt it FFG was ready to announce some kind of mini-expansion any day now. It makes me wonder if they were intending to when the figure packs released, but haven't yet because of the shipping delays.

Between the new X-Wing wave releasing and the dice pack becoming available, as well as the FAQ/Tournament rules popping up, I think we're close to FINALLY getting our hands on those figure packs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am not so sure. Some artwork from the Star Wars RPG was recycled in Imperial Assault, so artwork is not unique to games, but to IP licences. IDK if that droid made an appearance in Star Wars RPG, but it might be possible.

Anyway, I doubt they will announce an expansion so soon after release. I'd guess they announce it on GenCon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i guess it will be a little bit sooner.

but there will be alot of FFG star wars stuff at gencon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
but looking at the RPG artwork could be a hint for future models.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure if the other packs hadn't been delayed as they have been we would have heard some news by now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it interesting that all expansions are "legal" the day they're released, but the skirmish missions are limited to just the three that came in the core set. This means that even after the Han/Chewie/IG-88 missions are out, they aren't legal for tournaments until the FAQ is updated

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't follow your logic. Skirmish missions do not restrict which deployment cards can be used (no exclusion of elite for example), so you should be able to use any deployment card from the base game that you have the corresponding figure for, including Chewbacca, Han Solo, etc.

(Skirmish missions can't restrict the cards to be used, because the armies are built before and without knowledge of the mission.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was referring to just the missions, not the figures. Each expansion pack comes with a skirmish map and 2 skirmish missions (an A and a B). The tournament rules specifically limit the skirmish missions to "Mos Eisley Outskirts, Massassi Ruins, and Moisture Farm", the maps that came with the core set (the core map, the Vader map, and the Luke map). So the maps that come with the various expansion packs will not immediately be tournament legal until a FAQ update. The rest of the expansion will be, just not the skirmish missions and map...

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that explains it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Jack
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at the Skirmish Tourny Rules 1.01 updated 3/3/15 and I don't see any art that we haven't seen before, and no droids at all. Am I missing something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MightyJack wrote:
I'm looking at the Skirmish Tourny Rules 1.01 updated 3/3/15 and I don't see any art that we haven't seen before, and no droids at all. Am I missing something?


He is talking about this guy:

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I was referring to just the missions, not the figures. Each expansion pack comes with a skirmish map and 2 skirmish missions (an A and a B). The tournament rules specifically limit the skirmish missions to "Mos Eisley Outskirts, Massassi Ruins, and Moisture Farm", the maps that came with the core set (the core map, the Vader map, and the Luke map). So the maps that come with the various expansion packs will not immediately be tournament legal until a FAQ update. The rest of the expansion will be, just not the skirmish missions and map...

-shnar


I think the theory here is you can be playing with the characters for a long time before the release since you already have character cards. But they haven't released any info on the maps themselves, so they'll give a bit of time for the maps to be out there and let people play on them before they make them legal. After all what the map and scenario is can have a great impact on your squad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
After all what the map and scenario is can have a great impact on your squad.

The skirmish rules make you build the squads first, then the scenario is randomly picked, and I don't think the tournament rules change that (at least I did not see anything when I skimmed through them). So, your squad should be prepared for any map, although you might gamble about getting certain type of scenario.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
karrde wrote:
After all what the map and scenario is can have a great impact on your squad.

The skirmish rules make you build the squads first, then the scenario is randomly picked, and I don't think the tournament rules change that (at least I did not see anything when I skimmed through them). So, your squad should be prepared for any map, although you might gamble about getting certain type of scenario.


Right, so by delaying the legality of the expansion maps they're letting people get used to the new maps and compensate for them. That way they're not facing a unknown map for the first time in a tournament.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It brings up another question, what happens if you don't own that particular expansion? Everyone will own the 3 from the core set, but not everyone will own the expansions. Currently, they'll have the map tiles to make the map, but they won't have the card, etc, to know the details. And as future expansions come out, not everyone will have the tiles necessary to make all the maps. (I still wish they would just let preprinted maps be used by the TO)

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Each player must bring all components needed for their army and games. This includes, but is not limited to, Deployment cards and corresponding figures, Command cards, dice, tokens and counters, and all map tiles and Mission cards for any legal skirmish missions. The TO is not expected to supply any game components to players.

Emphasis mine.

Probably another reason why the packs missions won't be legal right away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
Quote:
Each player must bring all components needed for their army and games. This includes, but is not limited to, Deployment cards and corresponding figures, Command cards, dice, tokens and counters, and all map tiles and Mission cards for any legal skirmish missions. The TO is not expected to supply any game components to players.

Emphasis mine.

Probably another reason why the packs missions won't be legal right away.

Yeah, I'm just thinking even farther into the future. What happens when the first box expansion comes out with missions and those become tournament legal but not everyone at the tournament has that expansion?

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zwara81 wrote:
i guess it will be a little bit sooner.

but there will be alot of FFG star wars stuff at gencon


GenCon will be the official release of IA's (which will be the highest FFG game on the BGG ratings by that time) first big box expansion which will delve into the Empire working with the Scum and Villainy with some kind of plot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hillegas
msg tools
mbmb
Is this a prediction, or do you actually have a source for this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.