1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Short, easy to set up games like Love Letter for a family rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PeteZero PeteZero
Scotland
flag msg tools
We are a family (3boys, 9,11,13), who like to game, esp., on weekends we get the board games out. But during the week, it is so busy, and if you want to play, it must be something fast and easy, but still needs to be of high quality. Running time, best 10-15min.
So my boys have discovered Love Letter. At the moment it is THE game. Even playing it before school. And after school , and whenever they find a minute.
Are there games like this out there, which you could recommend?

For shorter games we have:
Escape the Curse of the Temple: to much to set up, and they don't like it. Too stressful.
Sushi Go: played, nice, but somehow misses something
Qwixx: one of them does not like it
7 minute Empire: good, they like it, comes out now and then
Wizard: comes out occasionally

Other games they really like:
King of Tokyo
Settlers of Catan
Forbidden Desert
Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Coup?
I don`t know how your boys can handle bluffing and deduction, but It`s fast and easy and everyone I know likes it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmb
Look into: No Thanks!, For Sale, Cockroach Poker for some pretty quick and easy card games.

Or: Can't Stop as an easy to set up and play game (but may take a little longer).

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Plato 3000 and Archaeology: The Card Game are two others that might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Les Coteaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harbour would be a good game since it's easy to set up and play pretty fast. It's a cube pusher though. About 30 minute play time

One Night Werewolf, it work pretty well at 4 players to and give a nice social game to play in less than 10 minutes.

Fairy Tails is a drafting game that is easy to learn but have nice mechanics for a small box. 20-30 minute

Timeline : Educative and play really fast. Pretty good to learn basic stuff to your kids in a nice fashion. 10-15 minute

Seventh Hero : Push your luck/ Strategy game where you try to recruit 6 out of 7 heroes all with different powers. Really fun. Plays in 20 minute

All of those games are pretty much one deck of card to shuffle and only Harbour have pieces for each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Cheatham
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
doodle city

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
How about Qwirkle for a light, quick, zero-setup-time game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillotine is a quick, light, 2-5 player card game that adds humor to the French Revolution. It is a fun game, but it will usually take longer than 10 - 15 minutes to play. I'd say more like 20 - 30 minutes.

Biblios is also good, but will probably take closer to 30 minutes to play. It supports 2 - 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to match the time that it takes to play Love Letter is kinda hard. There are few games that have that level of play and play that quickly.

However, my top pick for quick yet somewhat deep would have to be:

Mr. Jack Pocket - It's an excellent small quick game. Two player only though but definitely worth buying.

A +1 to Guillotine mentioned above but it will take a little bit longer.

Other small quick games I would highly suggest are:

Knockout - Really enjoy this game!!!
Age of War - A fun dice fest and depending on how well you roll can affect the time required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Unnamed Object. Quick to set up, quick to play, and I can see kids loving the press your luck aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Fairy Tale... Plays well from 2-5 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red7

Linko! (this one can be ordered directly from the Ravensburger site)

Note these are both quick playing card games. Red7, BTW, is kind of like Love Letter meets Fluxx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fedel
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) (young boys would love the foam guns)
Guillotine
Saboteur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotta
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nobody but Us Chickens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panayiotis Zois
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios, For Sale, Coloretto, Bottle Imp, Sticheln, Mu and lots more, Wizard Extreme, Frank's Zoo, PAX, Archaeology, Wyatt Earp, Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper, Little Devils, No Thanks, 6 Nimmt!, Tichu, Haggis, Botswana, Guillotine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The amazing , easy to teach/learn, fast
Blueprints

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ For Sale
+1 Guillotine
+1 Red7 (play the base game without advanced stuff)

Timeline is fun, but if they can remember any dates at all, it doesn't have a lot of replayability after a while. Perhaps if you mixed sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take a serious look at Romans Go Home!. It's fast (10-15 minutes once you know how to play), is inexpensive and fits in your pocket, works well with 2, 3 or 4 players and can be played with as much or as little "strategy" as you want (you can try to really get into your opponent's head...or you can just play your cards and see what happens).

For such a small package, it has really impressed me and is becoming one of my favorite fillers. I think they'll enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seung-Bin Bae
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteZero wrote:

Sushi Go: played, nice, but somehow misses something

In this case, +1 for Fairy Tale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skull
Dixit or something else in the "choose my card" genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sauce
United States
West Chester
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish!
Zooloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No one saying Lost Legacy yet? It´s the obvious choice. Similar gameplay and set up. And there are a few sets, so they can have some variation in their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawn Gnome
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I would love to get my 5th CR Star
mb
If your boys really enjoy Love Letter I would totally check out Lost Legacy: The Starship or Lost Legacy: Flying Garden. Same game with a fantasy/space/science fiction theme. I have a 7 year old son and he really likes to play Lost Legacy with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawn Gnome
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I would love to get my 5th CR Star
mb
MrCleanOr wrote:
No one saying Lost Legacy yet? It´s the obvious choice. Similar gameplay and set up. And there are a few sets, so they can have some variation in their games.

Bet to the punch! I was laughing the whole way down this post. I found it hard to believe that nobody had mentioned it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids are 8, 10, and 13. Our current favorite fast game is Star Realms. Takes us about 20 minutes to play a game and there's not really any setup other than shuffling. My 13 year old and I play a game every day before school.

We've only played it 2 player, but there are rules for more than 2 players included with the game (although I think you either need to get another copy of the game for the starter cards or modify the starter cards that everyone gets to do this).

We also like trick taking games, so we've occasionally been playing a few rounds of Diamonds if we have a few minutes before bedtime also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.