Subject: Map tearing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I recently picked up a copy of Unconditional Surrender. Upon cracking it open I was dismayed to find the Western map already slightly tearing at the lower seam. I'm fairly new to the wargaming world (I know, I know... Unconditional Surrender might not have been the best place for a newbie to start ), is this a fairly common thing to deal with, or have I just got a bum copy? I'm just worried that my maps going to fall apart in play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
POUM
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't now about the tearing from start, mine was fine, but it's a thin map for sure. Be sure to always use plexiglass over your maps.

USE is a great game for newbies. Simple rules, compared to many other similar games. One of the best games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This past summer GMT was offering replacement maps because of the issue. I didn't have a problem at first so didn't bother, but when I did have a tear develop, (October/November sometime), I contacted GMT and they sent out a replacement.

It may be worth it to reach out to GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I put a small piece of tape on the edges of the map at the seam to prevent it from happening. Plus Plexi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plexi isn't for everyone - but I would say it is a must for this game. Yes, the map was surprisingly thin to me - I haven't had any tears yet but can see the folds already becoming more pronounced. Fortunately, once you have the plexi laid down, you should be good for 50+ hours.

I wouldn't say this game is great for newcomers to wargaming - but it IS, comparatively speaking, very easy to digest compared to other grand strategic games on the subject. And it is one heck of a fun time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Also, I put a small piece of tape on the edges of the map at the seam to prevent it from happening. Plus Plexi.

If you do go the tape route, make sure to use archivists' or document repair tape, and not scotch tape. Scotch tape will dry up and fall off, leaving a crusty glue stain on your map. Just put some archivists' tape on the back of the map where the tear is - it's also much more flexible than scotch tape, and good for fixing torn seams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone heard if GMT is going to produce a mounted board for P500 anytime in the near future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a good size of plexiglass to pick up for USE (and indeed any future games I may purchase)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I got my first plexi recently (for a a Christmas present haha) and it is 3mm. I find that is perfect and I'll be picking up another sheet or two in the near future.

really, I don't know what I did before plexi. I must have seemed like a barbarian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That is, 3mm thick. If you're takling about the other dimensions then 10mm over the standard map size is probably good. USE would require two sheets, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayOBedlam wrote:
What's a good size of plexiglass to pick up for USE (and indeed any future games I may purchase)?

Mine is 36" by 72" which is perfect for the maps, country charts and player aides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
Has anyone heard if GMT is going to produce a mounted board for P500 anytime in the near future?

I'm not aware of it. USE just sold out so they'll need to check their current schedule and resources to determine when to put it or some alternative like mounted maps back on P500.

In the meantime I guess you could write them to express interest in mounted maps.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my game yesterday and the Western map tore a bit at a seam when I unfolded it.

Personally I'd love a deluxe map.

I'd love more small map gametes like Unconditional Surrender! Case Blue even more!

GREAT GAME!! By the way, thanks for the time & effort, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine tore as well while unfolding the map for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Lindley
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
flag msg tools
Lych Gate every 2nd Wednesday...
badge
Geek, before it was fashionable...
mbmbmbmbmb
Small tear here on opening the Western map *REALLY* thin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadgr
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy is on the way, but these stories of map rippage don't worry me. I just picked up a NASA-designed robotic arm to handle the delicate task. You've got counter clippers, you've got surgical tweezers, but do you have a robotic map unfurler?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.