Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Schitthelm
Germany
Erlangen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

after finishing some games of P.I. I would like to share with you what I think about this game.

Your job is to solve criminal cases similar to Cluedo in this game: You have a crime, a location and a suspect to determine. In the following I will refer to aspects of a case. Each player has his own case to solve which is known by one of his neighbors. You therefore know the case of your other neighbor.

To find out who is the best investigator the same Mini-game is played three times to rule out luck a bit.

So, what options do you have in a Minigame? Everytime it is your turn you can pick one of three options: The first one is to ask information about one of the aspects of your case. In this case you get specific information about this aspect: You might have found the right thing, or that it is close or you can exclude a whole lot of possibilities.

The second one is to place one of your five Assistant P.I.s (for the whole set of 3 minigames!). He gathers information about all 3 aspects of your case but does not know which information belongs to which aspect.

After a few turns you will have a lot of information and you can crack the case. The third option is to acuse and show what you got: Name the person, the location and the crime and get points or loose the mini game.

On first glance it looks like pure deduction, so where is the luck?

One aspect is which aspect specific questions you can ask: there is only a small number available at a time and especially in the late phase of a mini game it is possible that no card provides you with helpful information. On the other side you can be incredibly lucky and take 3 cards and hit 3 times.

The other luckfactor is the outcome of an assistant P.I: If you are lucky it gives you very specific information and excludes a whole lot for you. If you are unlucky you get unspecific information and cannot exclude anything at all.

t is more important? The power to deduct or luck?
I am pretty good at deduction and in the last 4 games I won 3 and finished one second place. The one I did not win was caused by incredible luck by another player in 2 of 3 mini games. In general my impression is that players who are good at logical deduction have a very clear advantage against normal players.

So who could consider picking up this game?
You have to like deduction problems. To have an enjoyable game it is also important that the other members of the group are comparably good in deduction or at least have a high love for it. In addition I would advise against playing it with 4 or 5 players because it can happen that you have to wait for a long time if a player cannot decide which action to take. Meanwhile I usually start trying to solve the cases of other players and therefor get information for my case but this is exhausting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.