BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Android: Netrunner for couples? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lehel Kovács
Hungary
flag msg tools
mb
I am in dilemma in choosing our next game to purchase with my fiancée. Netrunner is on our wishlist for a while because the theme and the mechanisms are tempting (and of course the high BGG ranking is promising, too) but I would have a couple of questions before visiting our local gaming store.

We absolutely don't want to build decks for tournaments, just want to have a good and deep card game to play (we do really enjoy Dominion and Star Realms but these are lighter and shorter games for us). My initial question is whether Netrunner would fit for this purpose?

How many replayability is coming out from the base set? How many expansions are needed to be purchased to have a good replay value (let's say compared to Summoner Wars which is also one of our favorite game) considering that we don't want to involve ourselves so seriously in this game?

I've read and watched several reviews and discussions about this game but couldn't find answers on my questions, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is lots of replayability in the Core Set. I'm sure you could buy it and have plenty of fun. It's not balanced though, and that's a bit more of a concern. Out of the box some factions (I.e. Weyland) are better equipped than others. For a minimal purchase this is largely negated by buying a second Core Set. After that any of the cycle Datapacks add cards for all 7 factions and if you have a particular favourite faction you can buy the big box expansions.
I would but a single Core Set first and see if both of you enjoy the game mechanically. If you do, then almost any additional purchases will add variety and improved replayability. If you like it you will definitely get your money's worth from the Core. But whole other avenues of Deckbuilding and customisation will open to you if/when you start expanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you have described there, I think you will both really enjoy this game.

When only playing the 2 of you, you'll get heaps of distance out of the base set (there are a few teams to play for each faction, plus you can switch up factions). The main reason for needing to quickly acquire the expansions is to stay competitive against other players. Where you both are using the same card pool, it's not an issue.

Yes you do need to build decks, but when using the same card pool it's quite enjoyable (Each faction has their own card options, so you aren't competing for cards in a draft or anything like that). You just build a deck out of your available pool. There are some suggested starting decks to get you started (In the books and online).

If you play heaps, you'll likely want to grab a few expansions, not because you need to, but simply because it renews the game, making it quite fresh again with a few new card mechanics and combo's etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Vega

Asbury Park
New Jersey
msg tools
The replayability with even the base set is high. Corps get 4 factions while runners get 3. That's 12 fresh games right there. Then when you add how mny times you'd like to play with your favorite corp/runner, then playing as the runner when you've only played as corp and vice versa... You get a lot of the core game.

Plus it's a really fun game with huge theme to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game's replay value is high: 3 runners, 4 factions, a lot of neutral cards and you can use other factions' cards under some certain restrictions and rules.

If you don't like idea pre-game deck-building, I would not recommend this game.

If you are looking for a different but also clever card game, check out San Juan (second edition).

Having said that, Android: Netrunner is the best modern card game in my opinion: asymmetrical, bluffing, pre-game deckbuilding, LCG instead of CCG format, fantastic artworks, very different factions, hard to master.

Still, the theme, depth and initial learning curve can be problem for some players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to own this game and exclusively played it with my wife. When doing so we never bothered with deck customizations and stuck with a specific runner/corporation along with the generic cards. It was certainly fun, but I felt certain runners/corporations weren't quite balanced using only their factions cards. Since I had zero interest in expanding the game or getting into deck building I eventually sold the game.

That being said I still believe the base games offers lots of quality playthroughs and replayability. It really is a fantastic game and part of me regrets trading it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehel Kovács
Hungary
flag msg tools
mb
Kyur wrote:
The base game's replay value is high: 3 runners, 4 factions, a lot of neutral cards and you can use other factions' cards under some certain restrictions and rules.

If you don't like idea pre-game deck-building, I would not recommend this game.

If you are looking for a different but also clever card game, check out San Juan (second edition).

Having said that, Android: Netrunner is the best modern card game in my opinion: asymmetrical, bluffing, pre-game deckbuilding, LCG instead of CCG format, fantastic artworks, very different factions, hard to master.

Still, the theme, depth and initial learning curve can be problem for some players.

We have RftG and we love it but it scratches a different itch (i.e. not so interactive and about build up something which earns VPs at the end of the game).

We have not tried any pre-deck building game before but that's not a concern for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy the core set asap! maybe you win't like it and you can sell it again. If you do like it, this game is fantastic. In my opinion, there is no better game on the market, period. And there is soooo much to explore. If my wife was into this I would be living the dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
Buy the core set asap! maybe you win't like it and you can sell it again. If you do like it, this game is fantastic. In my opinion, there is no better game on the market, period. And there is soooo much to explore. If my wife was into this I would be living the dream.

This post could have been from me.

I love the game, but it's one of the very few game in my/our collection she does not like at all.

Luckily, we can play and enjoy the other 99% of my collection together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."
badge
Small talk (noun): insincere questions and dishonest answers.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest you both play a few games of it at an FLGS before buying - while Star realms and Dominion are 2 of my all time favorite games, and I enjoyed the 1 game of Summoner wars I've played, A:N is something I didn't like one bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Netrunner with my girlfriend and we both like it very much. We have one problem though and that is the deck building. I have played some Magic and LOTR LCG so I could surley build some half descent deck but my girlfriend have 0 experience in this (and don´t want to either).

So now we play the core set and the pre build decks but I don´t really know where to go after that. Should I just build decks for both of us? Dunno...

Anyway, I highly recommend it, great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Per deckbuilding, one can go to a few sites for decklists: cardgamedb.com, netrunnerdb.com, stimhack.com, acoo.net

As far as replayability with one base set, I can't say; I dove into the game when I got in. However, I can tell that Doomtown: Reloaded has a lot of replayablity in one box, and I believe it to be better balanced in one box than Netrunner. They are two of my top games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.