Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresh off his 3.1 victory, Xavy was eager to keep his momentum going. After realizing that 3.2 comes with the Wraith pack (the latest addition to his forces, for having been super helpful around the house, really above and beyond stuff), and not the Hobgoblins which we still don't have, we went about setting up.

I was playing the Invaders this time around, while Xavy took Lord Max and Friend. He loaded Max down, with everything he could outside of Create Spawn and Chisel....Malevolent Spawn, Drain Life, Sinister Plot, and Swift Strike. That left him just enough points to put Swift Strike on the generic Wraith.

After Sarpiel's victory in 3.1, it only made sense for me to take him here. Knowing he'd be facing wraiths, he grabbed his Holy Warhammer, the Shield of Virtue, and Soaring Assault. Supporing him would be Nymmestra with Disintegrate, Blur, Magic Missile, and Leadership.

Carrying Chisel was Talon Everhale, with Precise Shot and the Prayer of Healing.

I felt pretty good about this team. Talon could lay back while Nym and Sarpiel brought Max down to his 1 life point, then show him the chisel. It was a good plan. Maybe a great plan.

So according to plan, Sarpiel advances up the middle, Talon slowly advances up my left flank, and Nymmestra up the left preparing her Mage Armor. The wraiths SPRINT up the middle, both heading to ground to get some cover against Nymm's spells. The rubble has fallen mostly in the middle of the map, creating a very difficult area for my walkers to navigate through. We're out of range, so we plan for turn 2.

Nymm prepares her Disintegrate, while Talon tries to hang back, but the wraiths are much faster than I've anticipated. And more nimble. Sarpiel can't get into position for an attack, but Nymm fires off her Disintegrate, taking Lord Max down to 1 health. Now, if I can just get Talon close enough to him.

But then Xavy does something I did not expect. His wraiths start...spinning. He's giving up his action in order to keep me in his attack arcs. And doing so is making it very difficult for Sarpiel to keep Max in his sights. Nymm, Talon, and Sarpiel manage to kill the generic wraith, but not before Max hits Sarpiel, healing a point of damage. Talon has gotten herself boxed in between some rubble, and decides she needs to pivot in order to get ready to present Chisel to Lord Max, and that's exactly when Max strikes. Even with Nymm taking Max back down to 1 Life, Max pounces on poor Talon, rolling 3 hits and a Crit. He sucks the life from her, and claims Chisel as his own.

Xavy pulled off a very convincing win this time around. I place such a high value on actions...I think rightfully so...that it never occurred to me that he would spend much time pivoting, but that's exactly what he did with Lord Max. He pivoted two rounds in a row, giving him excellent coverage for attacks, and avoiding Sarpiel's attack arcs completely. Talon proved too slow to really avoid Max's attacks, and doesn't have the agility to survive the kind of attack Xavy made on her. Sapriel would probably have made the better choice to hold Chisel, since Nymmestra alone was going to be able to weaken him enough to score the win.

So Xavy claims his second XP, and now has access to Chisel.

Next we get ready for The Toll of the Dread Alarum. Xavy's chosen to play the defenders again. Nymmestra and Disintegrate was his first favorite combo in the game, and Disintegrating giants is one of his favorite things to do. I'd say I feel pretty confident, as the Invaders can build a force tailored to the adventure, while the Defenders must take Nymmestra and Galaderos, but after our last two game, my confidence is waning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a Xavy Beauchamp fan micro-badge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny O
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet, nor alas, one for fans of his dad. But there should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He won the Ancient White Dragon Fellowship prize at the OP1 we went to. He hasn't even really brought the big guns out against me, and I'm starting to get a little worried for when he does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.