Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big thank you to Matúš Kotry for answering all these questions!

Here we go with the list!
-----------------------------------------------
Q: During setup, is the favor card that we don't keep discarded face up o face down?
A: Discard them face up on the same discard pile you will use for Favor cards played during the game.

Q: During turn order selection, are favor and ingredient cards drawn simultaneously or in a specific order? This is important when drawing the Herbalist favor.
A: Feel free to draw the ingredients first so that you can discard them in case you draw the Herbalist favor card.

Q: Same question as before, but during setup.
A: And the same answer : Draw the ingredients first. It's even more important here, because with no ingredients on your hand the Herbalist would be weaker than it is supposed to be.

Q: Regarding the No negative potion can affect you twice in the same round rule, does it apply to any negative potion regardless of color (i.e.: we suffer only the first negative potion effect, even if the 2nd one is a different colored negative potion), or specific to every color (i.e.: we can suffer both the R- and B- negative effects)?
A: The second thing you wrote is correct: if you drink two negative potions with different colors, you get affected by both of them. The "No negative potion can affect you twice" applies only to two identical potions.
(Btw note that the rule says "twice in the same round". That means when I drink for example B- using Custodian card and then I drink again B- on regular Drink potion action space, I only lose 1 rep. for the first one)

Q: Should the Boots of Speed allow you to take a second action on the Custodian favor card?
A: Yes. The Custodian card literally creates an imaginary action space just for you, which is situated between Transmute and Sell potion action spaces. And the Boots of speed can be used "on any action space except of Sell potion". So this imaginary one also counts.

Q: If a player has Boots of Speed and declines to perform an action (putting his cube/cubes in the Unused cubed space), can he still use the Boots to perform the previously declined action after all players have finished executing that action?
A: Yes. Text of the Boots of speed says that you can use it "On an action space where you have at least one cube". So it doesn't matter whether that cube was used or declined.

Q: If a player with Boots of Speed, during the Debunk Theory action, uses the Immediate Publication option, can he perform the additional action granted by the Boots during the ensuing Publish Theory action, even though he removed the cube during the Debunk Theory action?
A: Yes.

Q: When using Periscope, does the spied player know which ingredient is seen by the spying player?
A: Well, you've got me with this one. I didn't think about it when I was writing the rules so the rulebook indeed does not cover this.

But thematically, when someone is spying on you, you most likely won't ever find out what information he learned. So the answer is that the spied player does not know what ingredient was seen by the spying player.

That means if someone uses Periscope on you, you should shuffle the ingredient cards face down, then pass them to the spying player. He looks at one and then discards them both.

This may get a little bit tricky if the spied player has the Magic mortar. In that case after the spying player looks at one of the cards, he should shuffle them again, discard one of them and return the other one back to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Official FAQs - awaiting answers
If I remember correctly, the manual states that, during set up, one draws two Favor cards and keeps one before drawing Ingredient cards. So, if one draws a starting Herbalist card and keeps it, does he first draw his starting Ingredient cards before resolving the Herbalist card, or does he resolve the Herbalist card and then draw his starting Ingredient cards? We played it as the former, since the latter renders the Herbalist card useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Galandil"]

Q: Regarding the No negative potion can affect you twice in the same round rule, does it apply to any negative potion regardless of color (i.e.: we suffer only the first negative potion effect, even if the 2nd one is a different colored negative potion), or specific to every color (i.e.: we can suffer both the R- and B- negative effects)?
A:

Im fairly sure this rule means that no single type of negative potion can affect you more than once in a round. You can suffer the ill affects of all three in one round, however... A potential but very unlikely scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:
If I remember correctly, the manual states that, during set up, one draws two Favor cards and keeps one before drawing Ingredient cards. So, if one draws a starting Herbalist card and keeps it, does he first draw his starting Ingredient cards before resolving the Herbalist card, or does he resolve the Herbalist card and then draw his starting Ingredient cards? We played it as the former, since the latter renders the Herbalist card useless.

You're right, it's the same problem regarding the turn order, I added the question to the list, thank you for pointing it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
Im fairly sure this rule means that no single type of negative potion can affect you more than once in a round. You can suffer the ill affects of all three in one round, however... A potential but very unlikely scenario.

I do play this way the same, but the wording isn't crystal clear imho, so no harm to ask this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:

page 10: No negative potion can affect You twice in the same
round.

With the word "Twice" it's meaning the same color.

But I agree that it could be written better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
I would also like to see an official answer to whether the player being spied on with Periscope gets to know which ingredient the other player saw. The closest thing to an answer in the existing thread on it is basically "What do you think would happen if you used a magical periscope to spy on an alchemy experiment?", which really doesn't do it for me as a rules answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
I would also like to see an official answer to whether the player being spied on with Periscope gets to know which ingredient the other player saw. The closest thing to an answer in the existing thread on it is basically "What do you think would happen if you used a magical periscope to spy on an alchemy experiment?", which really doesn't do it for me as a rules answer.

Added the question to the list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Grey Dolphin Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:

We had this question. We played it as yes, they know, because the player who tested can look at their cards at any moment until they reach the discard pile. Once they hit the discard pile, no one can look. Using those facts, we figured that they would have to know (because the testing player could quickly look at the non-chosen ingredient at any time).

I'm interested in the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess there aren't any more questions to ask CGE, tomorrow I'll send a PM to them to ask come check the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matúš Kotry
Slovakia
--
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, here are the official answers:

Q: During setup, is the favor card that we don't keep discarded face up o face down?
A: Discard them face up on the same discard pile you will use for Favor cards played during the game.

Q: During turn order selection, are favor and ingredient cards drawn simultaneously or in a specific order? This is important when drawing the Herbalist favor.
A: Mysterio wrote:
Quote:
If I remember correctly, the manual states that, during set up, one draws two Favor cards and keeps one before drawing Ingredient cards.

But actually there is no such thing in the rulebook. So feel free to draw the ingredients first so that you can discard them in case you draw the Herbalist favor card.

Q: Same question as before, but during setup.
A: And the same answer : Draw the ingredients first. It's even more important here, because with no ingredients on your hand the Herbalist would be weaker than it is supposed to be.

A: The second thing you wrote is correct: if you drink two negative potions with different colors, you get affected by both of them. The "No negative potion can affect you twice" applies only to two identical potions.

(Btw note that the rule says "twice in the same round". That means when I drink for example B- using Custodian card and then I drink again B- on regular Drink potion action space, I only lose 1 rep. for the first one)

Q: Should the Boots of Speed allow you to take a second action on the Custodian favor card?
A: Yes. The Custodian card literally creates an imaginary action space just for you, which is situated between Transmute and Sell potion action spaces. And the Boots of speed can be used "on any action space except of Sell potion". So this imaginary one also counts.

Q: If a player has Boots of Speed and declines to perform an action (putting his cube/cubes in the Unused cubed space), can he still use the Boots to perform the previously declined action after all players have finished executing that action?
A: Yes. Text of the Boots of speed says that you can use it "On an action space where you have at least one cube". So it doesn't matter whether that cube was used or declined.

Q: When using Periscope, does the spied player know which ingredient is seen by the spying player?
A: Well, you've got me with this one. I didn't think about it when I was writing the rules so the rulebook indeed does not cover this.

But thematically, when someone is spying on you, you most likely wont ever find out, what information he learned. So the answer is that the spied player does not know what ingredient was seen by the spying player.

That means if someone uses Periscope on you, you should shuffle the ingredient cards face down, then pass them to the spying player. He looks at one and then discards them both.

This may get a little bit tricky if the spied player has the Magic mortar. In that case after the spying player looks at one of the cards, he should shuffle them again, discard one of them and return the other one back to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ko3matus wrote:
A: Mysterio wrote:
Quote:
If I remember correctly, the manual states that, during set up, one draws two Favor cards and keeps one before drawing Ingredient cards.

But actually there is no such thing in the rulebook. So feel free to draw the ingredients first so that you can discard them in case you draw the Herbalist favor card.

True, the rule book doesn't specifically state that one draws two Favor cards and keeps one before drawing Ingredient cards. However, in the Private Section portion of the rule book on page 6, the Favor Cards section is listed before the Ingredient Cards section. At least that's how I read that section.

Regardless, thank you for the clarifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much Matúš!

I'm editing the original post with your answers, probably I'll make asap a pdf to post in the files section too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much. I will print these FAQ's and use them during game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roubosga wrote:

You might want to wait a little bit, I just uploaded the PDF with the FAQs.

Edit: PDF is up in the Files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
Roubosga wrote:

You might want to wait a little bit, I just uploaded the PDF with the FAQs.

Edit: PDF is up in the Files section.

Wow, that's a beauty! Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Galandil for this 3d, the manual is poor written and the game has hit a huge success, so thanks for this FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Γοργοπόδαρος
Greece
flag msg tools
All that is gold does not glitter
badge
Not all those who wander are lost
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. In page 13 says "Except for that, your seal now counts just as much as anyone else's seal on that theory". What is the meaning of that phrase? If i put a seal (by endorsing a theory) with a silver star, do i get the 3 victory points in the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedioakenshield wrote:
Hi everyone. In page 13 says "Except for that, your seal now counts just as much as anyone else's seal on that theory". What is the meaning of that phrase? If i put a seal (by endorsing a theory) with a silver star, do i get the 3 victory points in the end?

If the theory is correct, yes, you do get the 3 points. That's exactly the meaning of that phrase, if you endorse a theory, instead of publishing it for first, you get eventually the same score (or the same penalties) if that theory happens to be true (or false) in the end game (or during a debunk theory action).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Γοργοπόδαρος
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
jedioakenshield wrote:

If the theory is correct, yes, you do get the 3 points. That's exactly the meaning of that phrase, if you endorse a theory, instead of publishing it for first, you get eventually the same score (or the same penalties) if that theory happens to be true (or false) in the end game (or during a debunk theory action).

I see. I thought maybe it counts as much points as the first publisher gets. But your explanation makes a lot more sense! Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedioakenshield wrote:
I see. I thought maybe it counts as much points as the first publisher gets. But your explanation makes a lot more sense! Thank you very much!

The only differences between publishing and endorsing are these:

- When publishing, you pay 1 gold to the bank and you gain +1 reputation;
- When endorsing, you pay 1 gold to the bank, plus 1 gold to every other player who already has a seal on that theory, and you get no reputation.

After this, the seals on the theories are treated the same way for all game purposes, it makes no difference who published first and who endorsed after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
showdan evac
United Kingdom
Ebbw vale
GWENT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would like to know that when you use the master debunking setting on the app are the other players ment to know whot ingredient are used. In other case of the ingredient being used one is ment to know. I would assume so else there is no way of telling if your debunk is corect but it seems odd. you get whot am saying?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
showdan wrote:
I would like to know that when you use the master debunking setting on the app are the other players ment to know whot ingredient are used. In other case of the ingredient being used one is ment to know. I would assume so else there is no way of telling if your debunk is corect but it seems odd. you get whot am saying?

Yes, you show exactly what you are mixing. Pretty sure the rules say to put the device in the middle of the table for all to see when debunking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Γοργοπόδαρος
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I have two questions that need to be answered.

First question:

In page 13 says:

The unstarred seals are for hedging against a certain
aspect. This is represented by a question mark on a
background of that color. If you are proven wrong about that
aspect of the ingredient’s alchemical, you suffer no penalty.
(Only the color matters, not the size of the circle.)

Now, i will give u an example of my last game: i had published a theory about toad with a red seal. At the end of the game, it was proven that i had wrong sign on the red aspect but also wrong circle at the blue aspect. So, should i get the penalty of -4 points or not?

Second question:

When we use the favor card named "custodian", if the result of the potion is negative, do we suffer the impacts of the potion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.