Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
71 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Good or bad taste??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_locked [+] politicallyincorrect [+] copyright [+] photoshopped [+] photos [+] [View All]
Berry van der rijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
I need your opinion on something.

I created with photoshop an image in which I pasted some game attributes in such a way that they represented the Twin Towers in NYC. I thought it was a nice way to include the game attributes in a already existing picture which I found using Google image search. I tried to upload it to the BGG image database and the image was rejected because the image was offensive.

The optional comment on this was the following: "not offensive really but could touch off needless pain and who needs that? poor taste"

This is the picture I am talking about:

The original picture is the following:

My question is. Is this really too offensive? If so, why? I am from The Netherlands and do understand what happend on 9-11 but is it still poor taste to create an image like this and upload it to BGG???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's offensive, but have you asked Peter O'Malley if it's ok for you to copy his picture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
What game was this for? I do not recognize those bits...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berry van der rijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
pronoblem wrote:
What game was this for? I do not recognize those bits...

The gamepieces are from the game Skyline of the World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't bother me. What are we supposed to do now? Delete every existing picture of the twin towers because some maniacs destroyed them? Pretend they never existed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad taste at all. I can understand some treatments to that image being offensive, but that surely is not. People are just being oversensitive.

On a related note... only a few days after the event a colleague of mine commented on the attack in front of a group of people: "I don't really care, those buildings were ugly anyhow". To which I laughed out loud. It did offend people in the group and many walked away speechless. Sometimes the best way to deal with grief is to laugh at the situation at hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will be the voice of dissent here and say that yes, I could see how people might get offended. However I don't think that would be enough to reject the picture.

I just think it's a dumb picture, though, so I don't care either way (no offense )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berry van der rijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
But why was it deleted from the BGG database as it stated in the message from the admin.

This was the complete text in the message:
------------------------------------------------------------------
We're sorry that we couldn't use the recent image that you uploaded to BGG related to 'Skyline of the World', and it was removed it from the system.

Reasons:
Reason: The image was irrelevant to the subject.

Reason: The image was offensive.

Comments (optional):
not offensive really but could touch off needless pain and who needs that?
poor taste

Sincerely,
BGG Community
------------------------------------------------------------------

Why was it irrelevant and why was it offensive? I replied to this message with these questions but I didn't get a response yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoenherr
msg tools
mb
Another good reason is that you dont(?) own the right to the image, although that does not seem to be the reason given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't personally find it to be in bad taste, but there are some people who would make the Twin Towers into a kind of iconic holy place. My suggestion to you would be to try it with a different sky line. There are plenty of other cities out there to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berry van der rijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
BagpipeDan wrote:
I just think it's a dumb picture, though, so I don't care either way (no offense )

Non taken. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berry van der rijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
sloan66 wrote:
My suggestion to you would be to try it with a different sky line. There are plenty of other cities out there to choose from.

That was also my intention. This was the first of a serie I wanted to create and since the Twin Towers are a perfect example of the towers I want to duplicate with the pieces of the game (Skyline of the World) I thought I'd start with this one and wait for the reactions at BGG if I did a good job or not, but I did not get that far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why was it irrelevant and why was it offensive?

Because it was someone's opinion that it was. No matter what you do, someone's going to be offended. Not much you can do about it.

I like it, myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rotterdam wrote:
BagpipeDan wrote:

Non taken. shake

The wink represents sarcasm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berry van der rijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
BagpipeDan wrote:
Rotterdam wrote:
BagpipeDan wrote:

Non taken. shake

The wink represents sarcasm

The shaking of the head too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
It doesn't bother me. What are we supposed to do now? Delete every existing picture of the twin towers because some maniacs destroyed them? Pretend they never existed?

I know a dude who worked for the Discovery channel whose job it was to go back and watch through all the programs in their archive, and take a note of all references to the Twin Towers, so that they could later be removed in case they were re-aired.

Hurray for altering history!

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one that voted to decline this.
Reason is that the original image that it was taken from was not yours. I had seen the original before. And you have even posted the original one here in this thread. It is unfortunate that we have other photos here that are clearly copyrighted images that get photoshopped and uploaded. Which in turn makes others do the same.
It was my mistake and I apologize for not taking the time to write in the comment that was my reason instead of the just checking offensive. I found that it was offensive to steal the photo not that it was of the Twin Towers.
Finally I am not a fan of photoshopped images such as these, but I would not decline it because of just that, since that is a personal opinion.

Take care David Namaksy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosmores wrote:
I was one that voted to decline this.
Reason is that the original image that it was taken from was not yours. I had seen the original before. And you have even posted the original one here in this thread. It is unfortunate that we have other photos here that are clearly copyrighted images that get photoshopped and uploaded. Which in turn makes others do the same.
It was my mistake and I apologize for not taking the time to write in the comment that was my reason instead of the just checking offensive. I found that it was offensive to steal the photo not that it was of the Twin Towers.
Finally I am not a fan of photoshopped images such as these, but I would not decline it because of just that, since that is a personal opinion.

Take care David Namaksy

Go get a royalty-free picture of the towers and do it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:

Royalties have nothing to do with it. It is still a copyrighted image that was someone else's work that did not receive credit for it or give permission for his photo to be used that way. In fact the name was intentionally removed.

Just for reference here is the licence for photos here.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd-nc/1.0/

But sure find an image that someone has allowed to be altered and posted without credit and do it again. I would not have a problem with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berry van der rijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
ixnay66 wrote:

How do I ever really know that there is no royalty on a foto, which I find using Google or any other search engine. I have never been in NYC so I certainly do not have any pictures of the Twin Towers myselves.

If anyone has a nice picture, which I can use for this matter, I would be very greatfull...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rotterdam wrote:
If anyone has a nice picture, which I can use for this matter, I would be very greatfull...

I've used this:

http://gimp-savvy.com/PHOTO-ARCHIVE/

---and other sites listed here:

http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2005/04/01/where_to_find_...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why was it irrelevant and why was it offensive?

I don't think it's offensive or in bad taste at all, but it is totally irrelevant. What does it do for anyone looking for info on the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berry van der rijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
GSReis wrote:
What does it do for anyone looking for info on the game?

The game is called Skyline of the World and it is about building penthouses on big towers, so I wanted to create an image of a skyline with the game pieces in it and the skyline of Lower Manhattan is perfect for that. Nothing more, nothing less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bounced this one as offensive. 343 firefighters. I'll bounce it, or a related pic, again if I see it again.

I'd as quickly bounce a pic of A&A bomber minis overflying Dresden, or meeples being shoveled into the furnaces of Bergen-Belsen. There's a line between trivializing horror and learning from it. This is over that line.

And now I'm outta this thread, so if you're gonna write a learned discourse about why you're right and I'm wrong because your opinion is objectively correct, you'll be doing it for your own audience, because on this one, I really don't care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gbohrer wrote:
...because on this one, I really don't care.

Obviously, you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.