Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this question was asked already but this forum is 189 pages long, so i ask it again. Maybe you feel free to answer in this new post or post a link to an old one:

This game has three expansions now with a lot of modules.
My group likes this game a lot, but we haven't tried out all modules yet.

What combination of modules do you think is the best for a great and balanced experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few answers here, but it's an old thread so it might be worth keeping this thread up for some new answers too:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1247451/recommendation-expa...

Personally I like 5+ players all expansions game to Kobol, either with or or without the CFB, it's good either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of them.
Base game is best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clementson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toerck wrote:
What combination of modules do you think is the best for a great and balanced experience?

Well that's the trick isn't it? 'Balanced' is highly subjective and will depend a lot on your play group.

Personally I like these setups, all of which could be considered 'balanced' in some way or other;

Basegame + Pegasus IC, Cylon overlay and Quorum rules + Exodus with Ionian Nebula but no CFB
Basegame + Pegasus IC and Quorum rules + Daybreak. Kobol as destination.
Basegame + Pegasus. Kobol destination.

EDIT: Forgot the cylon overlay in the top option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should try modules separately to find out what experience works for you. I'd start in this order.

I'd recommend Base Game + Daybreak. This one works great anyway you play it. Mutiny can be a problem for some since it forces players to sacrifice a turn: thats a big nono for some. Yet, I believe it is a balancing mechanism that appropriately raises the difficulty of the game. (Recommended with 5 or 6)

Then, remove Daybreak entirely and move onto Pegasus.

Next, try out Base Game + Pegasus. I find that Pegasus only hits all cylinders if you use all of its included components at once: Optional New Caprica, Optional Cylon Leaders. A lot of the expansion behaves funky without certain modules. (Recommended with 6 only. I really think you need 5 "Humans" and 1 "CL" for the mechanics in the expansion to shine.)

Remove Pegasus entirely and move onto Exodus.

I think Exodus is divisive. People either hate it or love it. I recommend you try it, but I would not throw out the Cylon Attack Cards. (Recommended with 5 only. Behaves very stubbornly with 6.)

At this point, you've tried everything and know how everything is supposed to work independently from one another. Only then can you really make a decision about what works best for you. Personally, I don't think any combination of expansions works great. Exodus is a monster that distracts from any of Pegasus and Daybreak's offerings, while Daybreak largel overwrites Pegasus' offerings.

Try one at a time. In my opinion, starting with Daybreak.

Personally, the only components I use from Pegasus are the updated IC skill cards. I use nothing from Exodus. Otherwise, I play Base Game or Daybreak only. (Although recently, I'm feeling more of an affection towards base game only).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game works great with all expansions. To learn them in easy bits I suggest adding them in order. The best "module" is the Cylon Fleet Board from Exodus, which solves a big issue with the base game.

When you are ready for the "full" experience there is a Combined Rulebook on the files page for this purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toerck wrote:
I think this question was asked already but this forum is 189 pages long, so i ask it again. Maybe you feel free to answer in this new post or post a link to an old one:

This game has three expansions now with a lot of modules.
My group likes this game a lot, but we haven't tried out all modules yet.

If you can get this game in a lot and often, and also already have the expansions, you can certainly try out some of the fleshed and drawn out plans suggested (and I reckon are yet to be posted).

If you won't play this game frequently, then consider going directly to the setup that intrigues you and your group. If you can only get in one game no more than every other month, you may have bitter folks who have to wait a year or more just to try out the things they want. OTOH, that needs to be balanced out by those who do not prefer to have too many things, or at least certain modules. Something you'll need to decide.

As mentioned, "great" and "balanced" ends up being subjective to people's preferences, the way people play (e.g. some pilots reveal ASAP, others prefer to avoid titles), and how the odds come out in a game with die rolls and card draws. I've gotten to the point where for the most part, you can plan and plan and plan, but 1) it all goes to hell depending on when cylons come out, 2) who the cylons are, and 3) it's possible to spend too much time planning and setting up instead of playing and explaining the game itself.

That said, I prefer the game with all expansions. If you learn the subsets you're playing with too soon, it can create a sort of "mechanical game" where there's not enough room for deviation. You get this with everything in, but certainly not as quickly.
Peg: all required core material including updated IC

Exo: all required core material
I prefer it with CFB. If folks are concerned about meta-gaming this, then it may be time to try out the variant where all cylon ship icons give +1 on Pursuit track
I prefer Conflicted Loyalties, but can play a game without them. I can't believe Boomer in one game managed to use that as an excuse to NOT reckon away a CAC. Worked for a bit too

Day: all required core material
I go either way with CL vs. Mutr. vs. both, so any setup of 3p to 7p works for me.

Objective: any work for me. I prefer NC or IN since those are the hardest to get in. Prefer to avoid Kobol since every does it. I like variety
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG gives the best gaming experience with the optional modules and objectives which suit your group the best. Include new bits at suitable intervals, try out the different options, and keep the things that work, return to the others later when you have added other bits to see if they still suck. Keep playing, learn, and have varied experiences.

(We usually play with all expansions to Kobol, with Daybreak Cylon Leader Motives for 4/6-player games. Occasionally we revisit alternative objectives or combinations of options.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
None of them.
Base game is best.

This, plus (nearly) all additional skill, character, quorum and destination cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.