Subject: Escape from Mount Gram rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/3/3/escape-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
For myself, I am looking forward to seeing more encounter manipulation. Indeed, to make a deck full of that. I hope the partly previewed (if not spoiled entirely) The Door is Closed! will become a good option for that deck (look into the Wastes of Eriador preview if you want to see the card).

Also, the two Ent-related cards make me excited.

Finally, the art is nice, again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I find that fitting: Spirit for direct "when revealed" cancelation, Lore for manipulation (Tactics and Leadership for a blitz). I hope to see another "A Test of Will" type of card -- ally sacrifice sort of thing; and certainly enough Lore encounter manipulation so that the strategy becomes vivid. Keen as Lances seems to have a great potential. It is good also that it is itself put into the victory display. To play it for 3 neutral resources is already very good -- with that kind of flexibility; anything below 3 is absolutely superb (especially for the latter two options).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:

I'm not seeing the Ent-relationship here. Please explain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MagusDuNord wrote:
jpraibis wrote:

"While Leadership players benefit from a pair of cards that encourage direct action against the Enemy, Tactics players gain a pair of Ent-focused cards..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
MagusDuNord wrote:
jpraibis wrote:

"While Leadership players benefit from a pair of cards that encourage direct action against the Enemy, Tactics players gain a pair of Ent-focused cards..."

Blargh!

I was confounded by the Voice of Saruman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
5 resources to lower threat by 4, is already good by itself tbh. I can easily put that in my tactics deck along with Gandalf for decent threat reduction. The fact that further copies of it get cheaper is even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
5 resources to lower threat by 4, is already good by itself tbh. I can easily put that in my tactics deck along with Gandalf for decent threat reduction. The fact that further copies of it get cheaper is even better.

completely agree. and the card draw is nice as well for tactics.

i also have a feeling that we'll get cards similar to Leave No Trace in every sphere, reducing it even further if you and everyone in your group play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
i also have a feeling that we'll get cards similar to Leave No Trace in every sphere, reducing it even further if you and everyone in your group play them.

Up to three times...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrsinor wrote:
dr00 wrote:

Up to three times...whistle
yes... for that card

i imagine the others will also have the limit as well, but Leave No Trace explicitly mentions itself, not 'any card that can be added to the victory display'

if we do actually get similar cards for Leadership, Spirit, and Tactics, that's at least 15 potential cards going into the victory display (plus 3 for every other player using Keen as Lances), so.... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
if we do actually get similar cards for Leadership, Spirit, and Tactics, that's at least 15 potential cards going into the victory display (plus 3 for every other player using Keen as Lances), so.... whistle

Good thing the FAQ already specifies that card costs cannot be reduced below 0, or there would be a whole lot of questions directed Caleb's way, and a brand-new FAQ update coming out in a BIG hurry. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
dr00 wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:

completely agree. and the card draw is nice as well for tactics.

I do not think in every sphere, I believe only in Lore, but we are bound to get more... Keen as Lances will enter many a deck, I feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just happy for anything neutral that can draw cards or reduce threat, because I can play it in mono tactics (Mablung helps with ressources) and the card itself helps with later incarnations. And if we get something tactics that goes to the victory display without victory points, that will be more fun. Totally excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
Keen as Lances will enter many a deck, I feel.

Especially as, if nothing else, it reduces its own cost, making the second and third plays progressively cheaper while.

But Elrond is going to play it for free for me anyway. Or Gandalf is going to enjoy his +5 attack.

Oooh...or Radagast is going to enjoy his +5 attack...let's get to work, mono-tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmunn wrote:
dr00 wrote:

Good thing the FAQ already specifies that card costs cannot be reduced below 0, or there would be a whole lot of questions directed Caleb's way, and a brand-new FAQ update coming out in a BIG hurry. laugh
well, since it looks at 'cards' and not 'player cards,' with 3 Leave No Trace, 3 locations added from Leave No Trace, up to 12 cards added with Out of the Wild (even more considering recursion), and 11 possible Keen as Lances (still need one left to get this massive discount) in a four player game....

This is obviously in the most extreme example, but even if I'm completely wrong in my prediction, it's already possible to go way over what's needed.

I also think it's great that he's covered this. I also think that people will still ask this question lol, especially if we get a lot more of these cards

EDIT: forgot Scout Ahead. Also, given that they're all Lore so far, maybe we won't get any for other spheres, but my gut feeling is that Descendants of Kings will be a Leadership event that also affects the victory display. Can't wait to find out either way though. I'm loving these new mechanics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
On a side note, some three previews ago we were told to look forward to a new Dúnadan hero spoiler, together with two Dúnedain-oriented decks made to work together. Is there another preview coming soon then? Or was this postponed due to the trouble with shipping?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one preview where I think I am just as excited about the quest as the player cards. Seems like allies are going to be captured and saved. Also those previewed goblins should be fun to fight with their relatively weak stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And once again, I seem to be more enthusiastic about the quest than the player cards, it's a trend for this new cycle.

I'm not sure about the whole "victory display" manipulation mechanic, and besides, I'm a bit vexed it's taking Lore card slots, that's less possible Ranger things for me.

There's actually the Distant Stars Lore event, relating to Ranger and Scout alike. I think it's a nice thematic Location control though I'm not sure about it. In my Ranger of Ithilien decks, I always use 3 slots or so in my deck to put some kind of Location control, such as Strider's Path, Secret Path or even Shortcut (as I'm playing Pippin). Such Ranger decks are generally not very good at questing and location control so it's kind of a shielding ability.

That being say, it's the second location control Ranger event we get from this cycle, after Expert Trackers in The Lost Realm, which allows you to put some progress on any location after you engage an enemy.

What I'm not so sure about is that you need to exhaust a Ranger to trigger both of those events. Exhaustion in Lore sphere (containing most of the Rangers) comes to a price because there's not much readying ability (Wingfoot, Lembas).

Could be interesting with the second Ithilien Tracker you put on table, his action becoming useless if there's already one in play. I usually put my Ranger Bow on those extra Ithilien Trackers, but maybe I'll try using those events instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
Also, given that they're all Lore so far, maybe we won't get any for other spheres, but my gut feeling is that Descendants of Kings will be a Leadership event that also affects the victory display.
The first preview for the cycle (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/1/29/the-was...) said that encounter deck manipulation would be specifically Lore's thing in this cycle, and this preview said pretty much the same thing. I think Keen as Lances is a way of sweetening the deal for the other spheres, and extra incentive to go for this strategy, especially in multiplayer of course.

I love encounter deck manipulation strategies but they've been limited in power before now (I do really love my Spirit/Lore secrecy deck though), so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it focused on in this cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
dr00 wrote:
Also, given that they're all Lore so far, maybe we won't get any for other spheres, but my gut feeling is that Descendants of Kings will be a Leadership event that also affects the victory display.
The first preview for the cycle (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/1/29/the-was...) said that encounter deck manipulation would be specifically Lore's thing in this cycle, and this preview said pretty much the same thing. I think Keen as Lances is a way of sweetening the deal for the other spheres, and extra incentive to go for this strategy, especially in multiplayer of course.

I love encounter deck manipulation strategies but they've been limited in power before now (I do really love my Spirit/Lore secrecy deck though), so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it focused on in this cycle.
good points.

If tactics and leadership are getting valour, and lore is getting victory display manipulation, I wonder is spirit is getting something unique or if they feel that the sphere already does so much already? (I could easily see either scenario)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
They mentioned Spirit is getting Noldor-focused cards. I hope there is at least five or six of those rather than two or three. Noldor has some great cards, especially heroes, but there are very few in number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.