Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Imperial fire 51st State/New Era for you or are you keeping both. Please elaborate as to why for either case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers fired The New Era with Winter for me.

Reasons:
- better rules
- heavy symbols were replaced by easy text
- enhanced gameplay
- deck separation for faction specific cards
- limited number of rounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for the rules to the 51st State Master Set before I decide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Did Imperial fire 51st State/New Era for you or are you keeping both. Please elaborate as to why for either case

I have all 51 State franchise cards and expansions.
To clarify - I don't own IS, I knew that I don't need to buy it, so I didn't have bought it. I played it several times and ensured that was a good choice.
When it will be an opportunity to get it cheaper or by Math Trade I maybe will get it.
51 State with some fixes introduced in New Era and Winter is quite good and balanced game.

Better in 51 System:

Cards have up to two types - you can only overbuild a building with matching type- Buildings in IS have only one type (indicated by border color) and overbuilding doesn't require a match.

You could only produce victory point 3 times on a card in 51. Losing this limit leads to unbounded combos in IS where some powerful building can score too many points to be fun, when you play against such combo.

There was a limit of 3 cards as deals and conquests in 51. No such limit lead to ridiculous situations in IS.

Art in 51's cards was drawn, locations was shown from differen pespectives and sometimes focused on details. It was art and illustration.
Art in IS is always top-down, buildings in faction are similar cards are rerely reconizable by ilustration alone. Art is very good and detailed but it is Google Earth ancient edtion.

Every card in 51 had 3 ways to use, most cards in IS only have 2.

Worse in 51 system:

You couldn't get a card for two workers in 51 (and it WAS bad).

You were limited by your faction card to one "contact" action of each time (build,deal,conquest,rebuild) per round. You had to use card abilities to get additional "contact tokens".

51 State had icons "decribing" cards abilities, not so intuitive as in Race for the Galaxy and in RFTG harder icons were expalined on cards.
So one very good change was sticking to the text in card abilities in IS but some people find it too small.

So in my opinion Bruges fired 51 State, before even IS had the chance. But IS wouldn't fire 51 State for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
So in my opinion Bruges fired 51 State, before even IS had the chance.

Wait, what? Where did that come from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormparkiet wrote:
rafal100 wrote:

It was the infamous ol' Stealth Bruges Attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Stormparkiet wrote:
rafal100 wrote:

It was the infamous ol' Stealth Bruges Attack

5 color of "workers" are quite analogous to resouces in 51st State. There are 6 ways to use cards in Bruges vs 3 in 51st. Game tempo doesn't accelerate in Bruges as much as in 51st (and IS has snowball engine growth in comparition to both of them). Bruges is the more streamlined version of 51st State that I wanted to play, while remaining a tight balanced game. IS goes in quite different direction - maybe not bad direction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
I'm waiting for the rules to the 51st State Master Set before I decide!

Well I am debating keeping both, need to play each a few more times and decide. I like them both for different reasons but in the long run without some rules overhaul to 51st state, Imperial settlers seems to be the better of the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure whether Bruges fired New Era, but I certainly know Imperial Settlers didn't fire New Era. I prefer the symbols in NE to the microfiche sized text in IS. I like one big deck the everyone draws from instead of each faction having their own deck. The art is cooler in NE in my opinion, although I do prefer the theme in IS. Mainly, I like NE more because it feels harder, more challenging. I like that a card can only be used three times, or that you can only have three deals. It forces you to constantly evaluate your situation. IS is more of a sandbox style game. It's easier to play. It's more open ended, and consequently more accessible. I am also worried that IS is going to head down the "customizable" path. I am all about expansions adding cards to the game, more factions, etc. However, I don't think I can get excited about tweaking my Japanese deck.

All that said, and I still really like Imperial Settlers. In fact, it gets played more in my house. My wife hates New Era. She was shocked when I told her Imperial Settlers was the same game engine. So there's that. I think it just comes down to preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Onnen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 51st once, but have found that IS improved on every aspect of the game play. Everything - from the theme to the art - is more approachable, IMO. I've also found that each faction having their deck gives them a personality. That's one of my biggest knocks on Marvel Legandary: NOT having unique decks by character makes the theme feel muddled. But, again, that's just me... I'll be interesting to see what they do with the "booster" decks and expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AOski wrote:
I've only played 51st once, but have found that IS improved on every aspect of the game play. Everything - from the theme to the art - is more approachable, IMO. I've also found that each faction having their deck gives them a personality. That's one of my biggest knocks on Marvel Legandary: NOT having unique decks by character makes the theme feel muddled. But, again, that's just me... I'll be interesting to see what they do with the "booster" decks and expansions.

I like the player boards and individual decks as well but I prefer the theme/art in 51st state. Hoping they do a 2.0 overhaul to it when the big box comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about having an actual scoreboard instead of using the back of the box? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petteri Heino
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The text size in Imperial Settlers is not problem for me. I always prefer games with text instead of symbols. For example, i don't like Race For The Galaxy because the heavy symbol usage.

I have never played 51st State and New Era, but i'm still tempted because the Neuroshima Hex theme these games have. The only thing i don't like in Imperial Settlers is the theme. For me it's dull.

Otherwise Imperial Settlers is a great game. The solo game of Imperial Settlers is also the most fun solo game i played in any game so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.