Subject: Those pesky skill tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Porter
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My son and I used to almost never bother with skill tokens, since they are liable to move around at the slightest jostle. They are almost useless for us. Or at least they were, before I made a modification. Now they work great, exactly as intended.

Here is a highly detailed and complicated step by step process for fixing skill tokens

1) Lay them all out, with the "rough" side up.

2) Slather rubber cement all over them. Be generous in glopping it on. I hold them by the tip when doing this, so just the "fat" part ends up with rubber cement.

3) Let completely dry. Like, overnight.

4) Enjoy your non-slip skill tokens. They will stay where you put them on the dashboard, but come off without sticking. Even when you stand the dashboards up for a picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea. I'll give this a go.

I also found another use for them: Eviction Day - custom scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How do they hold up when you store them after say a glued side from 1 has been touching the glued side of another?

Do you store them together?

I've been toying with elmers craft tacky glue but haven't done that test yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Porter
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have a tendency to cling together and I'm sure if you rubbed them against each other you might get some of it to come off.

But as long as you let them completely dry first, they won't actually glue together. We keep them all in a little bag and have had no problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
per ekelund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Great idea but beeing from Europe I have no idea what Elmers Rubber cement is.
Checked on ebay and there seem to be two variants, one No-Wrinkle and one Craft bond Rubber cement. What is the difference ?
How sticky will they be ? Like Post-It notes ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seijin Zero
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rubber cement is just a type of glue, nothing special. I don't think it's an American exclusive. It's a pretty old-fashioned type of glue at that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_cement
Can't really elaborate on the different formulas of different brands though. I think it would be like those boogers that hold gift cards to a paper backing when you buy them (pretty sure that's rubber cement too), but after you peal it off. Not the original seal when it was applied as fresh glue. So, less than post-it note sticky, but with way more rubbery friction that post-its.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monza64 wrote:
Great idea but beeing from Europe I have no idea what Elmers Rubber cement is.
Checked on ebay and there seem to be two variants, one No-Wrinkle and one Craft bond Rubber cement. What is the difference ?
How sticky will they be ? Like Post-It notes ?

You can get Elmers Rubber Cement on amazon.co.uk or amazon.de - I don't know if that's any use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
per ekelund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Very helpfull. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
The idea is good and simple.. great alternative

Personally, I have gone and laminated my cards and just use dry erase markers.. I will never go back to anything else.. it doesnt move, you can make notes on how many actions you have right on the card.. if you recive a special action like Born leader you can mark it down.. it comes off easily with some paper towel with no mess, no fiddly parts to knock.. and best of all, it protects the card itself and they look brand new all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seijin Zero
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Telnets wrote:
The idea is good and simple.. great alternative

Personally, I have gone and laminated my cards and just use dry erase markers.. I will never go back to anything else.. it doesnt move, you can make notes on how many actions you have right on the card.. if you recive a special action like Born leader you can mark it down.. it comes off easily with some paper towel with no mess, no fiddly parts to knock.. and best of all, it protects the card itself and they look brand new all the time.

You could probably just scan and print a copy of the cards if you didn't want to "ruin" the original game pieces. That's probably what I'm doing.
I don't like having markers at the table though. I think I'm going with magnets. small magnets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seijin Zero
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1578506026?tag=article-boardgameg...

Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/1593593384?tag=article-boardgameg...

Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00STLOSKU?tag=article-boardgameg...

Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001KUN5J2?tag=article-boardgameg...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
if you have people too young, or not capable of handing a marker at a table and not writing on everything other then the card, then yeah.. go with magnets

printing cards is just a waste of paper and time.. much easier to just have them laminated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seijin Zero
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dry erase still tends to build up over time. And you don't need to be negligent to mess up. Lean on the card when you're moving a game piece across the table, sit down, grab a card, and smear all the ink you just touched on the card. Or your hands get dirty while wiping the ink off to rewrite something, or a million different scenarios. I'd rather go with magnets, or write on plain paper copies with a pencil.
But we can all agree that the stock markers are pretty lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
per ekelund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
You can get Elmers Rubber Cement on amazon.co.uk or amazon.de

In England the cost is around £4, in Germany around €35. Whats up with that?
My worst problem is that niether of them will ship this very product abroad shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seijin Zero
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You should be able to find it anywhere. Grocery store, hardware store, craft store, hobby store, department store, drug store... Someone is bound to have it. It's just a very common glue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
per ekelund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I doubt very much it is possible to find in Sweden. Have been looking for similar products like specifik cleaning agents without any luck.
Maybee I can have it shipped within England to a friend of mine and she can ship it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Porter
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with shipping (I find from doing a little research) is that it's rather flammable.

On another forum (magicians use this stuff a lot apparently) I found the suggestion to look for it under the brand name "Fixogum".

I also found a suggestion there for Germany.

Yow, 9 Euros for 100ml, seems a bit steep. http://www.magicshop.ch/rubber-cement.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
per ekelund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I went to Swedens largest retail chain of hobby material (Panduro) but they had no such glue like suspected.
Flamability is probably the reason for not shipping but I fail to see the difference between shipping within Germany and outside. The risk should be about the same, I figure.
I also noted the connection to magicians since many people had bought rubber cemet and playing cards from amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Porter
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine the magician connection is for the same reason I found this to be a good application for this stuff.

If you let it dry on one surface, you end up with a rubber coating that sticks well to glossy smooth surfaces, but can easily be peeled up.

There are probably all kinds of tricky things you can do to cards with something with that property.

When I was a kid my favorite application was to paint my entire desk with it. Then after it dried, I would roll it up into a rubber ball. Sometimes with multiple layers. It looked kind of gross, it would bounce in random directions, and not very well, but it was still a rubber ball I had made myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
per ekelund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I found something, in the garage !
My wife had bought this some years ago and it works very good. Just the correct stickyness, a little bit better than Post It notes.
I choose to spray about 1/3 of the surface of doors, barricades etc. that tends to be pushed around by dice, zombies and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
..and it looks like it even works on vertical surfaces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.