Hide
11 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about re-rolls. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giancarlo Benedetti
msg tools
I am playing Diala and have a question regarding re-rolls. When I am defending both the imperial player and myself roll our respective attack and defense roll. After the roll it appears I have blocked everything and the imperial player declares he is going to re-roll one of his attack dice. Now according to him at that moment, before seeing his re-roll, I have to declare if I am going to re-roll one of my own dice and once he has re-rolled his dice if i didn't declare a re-roll prior I am no longer able to re-roll. I believe that is incorrect and that he has to re-roll first and then I can decide if I want to re-roll or not.

Hope that wasn't confusing and that someone can help us clear this up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. Each ability must be fully resolved before the next is declared (unless an ability interrupts or happens immediately during another ability). The attacker must finish declaring and resolving his rerolls before the defender declares and resolves any, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Stark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
My reading of the rules here is that the attacker rolls attack dice at the same time as the defender rolls defense dice. That writing of the rules seems to include rerolls so the defender would have to declare a reroll at the same time as the attacker decides to reroll. Here are the relevant sections in the RRG:

[Attack Steps]
2. Roll Dice: The attacker rolls his attack dice at the same time as the defender rolls defense dice (listed under “Defense” on the target figure’s Hero sheet or Deployment card).

3. Rerolls: If players have any effects that reroll dice, they are resolved now.
- Each die may be rerolled only once per attack regardless of who is rerolling the die.

[Special Situations]
- Red, blue, yellow, and green dice are referred to as attack dice. Black and white dice are referred to as defense dice.
- An ability that allows a player to reroll dice can only be used
during step 3 of the attack.
------ RRG Stuff Ends ---------

So, for me, it's the explicit definition of defense and attack dice under "Special Situations" that does it. So attack step 3 refers back to step 2 which says attack and defense dice are rolled at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing in step/phase 3 which refers to step/phase 2. Also, it is silly to require that the dice be rolled completely simultaneously, it is enough that both attacker and defender have rolled their dice before moving to phase 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Benedetti
msg tools
Tony I have read those rules carefully and differ in your opinion because in phase 3, the reroll phase, unlike in the previous phase 2, the attack phase, it doesnt say the following "the attacker rolls his attack dice at the same time as the defender rolls defense dice" or something to that similar effect.

Which to me means that in phase 3 he can reroll his dice first and then I reroll after him, if I want to, no problem cause either way both rerolls would still be resolved in that same phase just not at the same time. Said in another way the fact that phase 3 says "are resolved now" is not that same as saying "both players reroll their dice at the same time" or something to that effect as the previous phase does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, we went over this in a previous thread. The rerolls do not need to happen simultaneously. The wording is very different in that section to the first roll.

The reason why the first roll must be simultaneous is probably the additional dice abilities. You must declare all abilities that add dice to the pool before you roll any of them. Note that abilities that allow you to roll an extra die are written in a way to 'add 1 green die to the dice pool' rather than telling you to 'roll 1 additional green die'.

Rerolls are a different thing and happen one at a time. If they were intended to happen simultaneously, there would be a reroll pool and abilities would be written in a way to add dice to the reroll pool rather than telling you to reroll a die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giancarlo Benedetti
msg tools
Hey Jorgen, any chance you have the link to the thread where this was discussed previously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The previous thread was: Timing for reroll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Stark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just to clarify, what I posted above only applies to situations where a figure declares an attack on another figure. Attribute rolls do not apply here. I just read the previous thread. Wow. There are so many ways to read into this rule. I can see it either way and agree we need an official ruling.

What I still cannot get past is that FFG takes the time to define attack and defense dice as their respective colors within the attack section. And then step 2 states that the attacker rolls attack dice at the same time as the defender rolls defense dice. I'm probably reading too much into it when I say that step 2 implies a rule. But isn't that the case since there's no mention of what order players reroll in under step 3? Since attack dice and defense dice can be rerolled doesn't what's stated in step 2 still apply?

Let me know if I should post this in the old thread as I noticed nobody had this take on the rules. Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pachuco2k wrote:
I'm probably reading too much into it when I say that step 2 implies a rule. But isn't that the case since there's no mention of what order players reroll in under step 3? Since attack dice and defense dice can be rerolled doesn't what's stated in step 2 still apply?

The stuff in step 2 applies only to step 2. Nothing about it implies that the same rule should be followed in step 3. Doing so would make step 3 work in a way totally opposed to every other ability in the game.

There is no other point in the game where you would activate all the abilities before resolving any of them, not even step 2. In step 2, you activate an ability to add a die to the pool, add the die to the pool and the ability is resolved. An attacker might do this with one ability, then add a second dice with a different ability. The defender might then use an ability to remove one of the attacker's dice and use a different ability to add a defense die of his own. Once the defender stops using abilities, you roll all the dice remaining in the pool. Note that at no point were you resolving multiple abilities at the same time, as they resolve as soon as the die is added to the pool.

Rerolls, on the other hand, are not resolved until the die is actually rolled. When the ability is activated, you must fully resolve it, including physically rerolling the die. Then the next ability can be activated. All abilities in the game work this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Stark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Clipper wrote:
When the ability is activated, you must fully resolve it, including physically rerolling the die. Then the next ability can be activated. All abilities in the game work this way.

Now it makes total sense. Thinking of it as an ability that needs to be fully resolved was the missing piece. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.