30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Sid Meier's Civilization (2010) Ask for a tip. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
I'm new @ this site. My English is not very good becouse i'm from Holland.

We've bought sid meiers civilisation (2010) this weekend and played them 4 times. But every time the player that played with the Germans wins the game. We did the correct rules and played allround 3 hours. The player constantly won becouse of the Tech level 5 card. The Germans have real good military advantage.. When they set a Tech card that unlocks the Army level, they get one card of that army and a recourse. We (the players that played the game) think its a to strong someting..

Have anyone tips for us?

If i've post this on the wrong topic my excuses!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there and welcome to the site! Each boardgame here has it's own forum, so ideally this should have been posted in the forum for Civilization.

Anywhoo, we'll try to help . I'm a little confused though. Are the Germans winning a Technological or Military victory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
They won a technological victory. The first one that researsch the level 5 Tech. It is becouse of they have an advantage. Only the Germans get a resource and a militairy unit card when the get a Tech card that unlocks a higher military level. So they get 4-7 free military units and 4-7 free recourses. With the recourse the player constantly choise the silk and get 9 trade (with a Tech card) so the unlock Tech cards very quick..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I see. Firstly the technological victory is actually the slowest. Playing as you as describe, it would take 15 turns to win. Other Civilizations can reach a tech victory much faster. The Russians, for instance can learn 4 techs every 3 turns at least. I think maybe your group is very focused on the strategies you know. It would be worth looking at the forums for this game.
People track their victories on here. Technology is the least won victory type. And while the Germans aren't considered bad, they are nowhere near as strong as some of the others. The Germans have an advantage but it is not any greater than the other countries advantages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you do know that the unit unlocked is the card and not the figure?

Anyway, the strategy you mention is very easily shut down. There is only 4 Silk in the marketplace. If you see a player abusing the silk->trade strategy then the other players should harvest silk. If the other players have the 4 silk, he/she can't choose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
Yes thats true (the silk strategy) but when spending the silk it is getting back on the market for using wright?

I read on the Dutch Forum that the Techstrategie the slow-one is indeed. So I think youre right that when we getting more experiance a other strategy can win.

Can you give me a link from the Russian 4Tech 3 round strategy? (If dit is not a big ask.. )

Thans fot thinking about this all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when you spend silk it goes back to the market. But you can just hold onto it until late in the game, forcing the player to follow a different path.

The Russian spy strategy is simple. Use your production to build spies who you send to the nearest city. This way you'll steal a free tech every few turns.

If you're enjoying the game then I seriously recommend buying both expansions. They add more Civilizations, a fifth player, improve combat, make culture and economic victories easier, increase the prominence of wonders and great people and add variety in terms of tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
Aha! Thats an sneaky strategy, (thanks!).
Yes I've seen the expansions packs. I'm sure we wil bought it, but we have a lot of fun playing the game without expansions allraidy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to game page from General Gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has a lot to grasp and it happens almost to everybody that in the beginning games are always won by tech. Try focusing on coins in your next game, it the base game it is the fastest victory path and I'm sure your friends won't notice your close to win until it's too late. Just do everything to get as much coins as fast as possible (spend all your resources on pottery, always spend 6 trade on democracy, get some culture for printing press and in the final turn place a bank in every city).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
Thank you for sharing tips, i will try the 'coin rush' next time.. I hope I will surprise my friends,

An other question:
With the expansions the game change a lot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geurt wrote:
Thank you for sharing tips, i will try the 'coin rush' next time.. I hope I will surprise my friends,

An other question:
With the expansions the game change a lot?

Yes and it becomes much much better. You kinda need both expansions in my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Both expansions improve greatly on what is already a fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
Ok. Than I've a new question. Wich Expension first?
Or do you say, first play the standard game. And when thats get bored than buy the expension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get both expansions if you first get one. But if you must choose, choose the newest. Wisdom and Warfare. But really, you need both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for going for WaW expansion first. The most interesting thing in FaF are the investments and you can simply make some cards yourself (probably you will even have one of it in the WaW expansion as they updated it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do completely agree that W&W is the superior expansion, I would always recommend F&F first if you have to buy them apart. Simply for the 5th player option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CJWF wrote:
+1 for going for WaW expansion first. The most interesting thing in FaF are the investments and you can simply make some cards yourself (probably you will even have one of it in the WaW expansion as they updated it).

I don't agree. The most exciting is the GP cards in FaF. WaW had the new units and social policy which was good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cash1981 wrote:
CJWF wrote:

I don't agree. The most exciting is the GP cards in FaF. WaW had the new units and social policy which was good!

I believe WaW balances the game a lot more than FaF (regarding the 4 victory pathways), also the civs are not as unbalanced as in FaF.
The fifth player material to me has been worthless up to now as I never used it and honestly, I believe 4 players is best for this game.
The great person deck is fun but there are some people who don't like it at all and it's not that important for balance. Depends strongly on your taste as there are times when a GP is nearly useless to you and other times when maybe even the very same GP wins you the game.

WaW also does a great job in balancing the techs as some of them are now much more attractive then before while others which were nearly indispensable are still OK but there are other options as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
You boys, make it difficult for me to choise. (I think I buy them both and try it out.

But last evening I've played this game and the germans didn't won(!)
We played the 3player game, and the Americans won by militairy victory.
I did the coin rush, and ended with 13 gold coin. For me it was a surprice. And my friends begin to laugh when they see that I constantly unlocks Tech card that are useful for collecting coin. But how further the game was, How more they say to eachother watch out for him and his coins.. ()

Finaly they both attacked me and one of them rampaged my capital city..

But we have fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to hear you didn't won, but at least now your group knows that there are better ways to win than tech.
If you really want to steamroll them with coins next time take germany. In this forum you should find how to play to win in 7 turns if I recall correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super happy that you were able to see another side to the game! You may not have won but at least you saw how victory was possible in a way different than your usual method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
I've been looking a video review from civ. And what I see surpriced me.

1.I see a player collecting production each city and build a building each city. I was thinking that you may build only one building at the fase city management?

2. The player on the video pics with each city a recource. I was thinking you may pic ONE recourse @ the city management fase.

Has this to do with the expansions rules? Or did I read the rules not correct, and can you get with the city management an action each city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each city gets it's own city action each turn. For each city you may either Make a purchase (using that cities own production), harvest a resource or devote to culture.

So, yes, you appear to be playing incorrectly. If you have two cities you have two actions during the city management. 1 for each city. And yes, each city generates it's own production which must be spent on itself. This is in the core game, and stays the same with the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geurt van Lagen
msg tools
thanks a lot! I've read de rulebook twice but not read it right i think..
The game changes now for me a lot. And now I now why tech victory was the most reacht wins by us. becouce we gather the trade from all city's but did one action @ the city management. The coin rush can play better with this rules, because you can gather faster..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.