Thunderbirds» Forums » General

Subject: A question for the painters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you plan to paint the Tracy brothers ? If so, how will you identify them during gameplay ?

My painting skills, and memory, aren't going to help me identify a painted peg-sized Alan from Virgil from John...

I'm thinking of not painting their hats or only painting the vehicles but does anyone have any other ideas ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of want to paint them, and now they come with decals so even better. But not sure about the pegs. I worry since they get a lot of handling that paint will wear off quickly. If they are tight in the vehicle holes you are going to be pushing/pulling them a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dean
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will probably paint them but there should be plenty of coloured areas like the sashes and caps that will make them simple to visually ID. Since they've unlocked the unique sculpts for the brothers, I think it will be easier to tell them apart than it might have been, painted or not.

Unless they seem too loose in the holes, I doubt I will paint the pegs themselves. They'll not be on display most of the time so it doesn't seem worth the effort or possible peghole tolerance issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a crack at painting one of the character pegs and there was a bit of a weird reaction when I lacquered the finished, painted piece.

I washed the figure, under-coated it using a Halford's rattle can primer, then used GW Citadel paints and spray varnish; the plastic softened noticeably after the varnish and the paint lifted. Luckily I was able to scrub it all off with only minor discolouration/scuffing of the peg.

My advice would be to experiment with your primer/paint/varnish combo on the removable section of Thunderbird 2 before risking the rest of the plastic bits...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't some sort of ink/wash work? It would accentuate the molding without damaging the piece or obscuring the colour of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
parp wrote:
I had a crack at painting one of the character pegs and there was a bit of a weird reaction when I lacquered the finished, painted piece.

That is why I bought an extra set of figures.whistle It will be my first go at painting figures so I wanted an insurance policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
parp wrote:

I washed the figure, under-coated it using a Halford's rattle can primer, then used GW Citadel paints and spray varnish; the plastic softened noticeably after the varnish and the paint lifted. Luckily I was able to scrub it all off with only minor discolouration/scuffing of the peg.

My advice would be to experiment with your primer/paint/varnish combo on the removable section of Thunderbird 2 before risking the rest of the plastic bits...

Yikes - sorry to hear that but thanks for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.