Imperial Settlers» Forums » Variants

Subject: Unofficial faction: the Totalitarians (now with cards) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
So, you're curious about the Totalitarians? Well, in totalitarian regimes you don't ask about the state, it's the state that asks about you! Who was it that sent you, what did they want to know and what acts of sabotage did they tell you to perform in the beautiful, prosperous and peace-loving realm of Totalitaria?
The Totalitarians are a large host, governed with a strong hand. Always on the lookout for enemies, they will identify foreign agents amongst their ranks and conduct missions abroad, capturing enemy spies. Once captured, these will remain in house arrest until international pleas or bribes lead to their release. Don't worry, though - in the end successful UN negotiations will grant them all freedom. At a good price, of course.
Meanwhile, the Totalitarian people will give battle to the challenges of every day existence as well as they can. They are numerous, they work hard, they rejoice in their country’s international advantages and the greatness of their leader. Also, goods and general help from abroad are much appreciated, so keep on sending those packages from the rotten, declining, so-called "free World".

Here's another faction I've been working on (the last one for now, I promise). The files (cards, board, clarifications) are available for download in the "Files" section (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1330624/unofficial-faction-t...).

Example card:

If you enjoy it or if you give it a few plays and have some constructive criticism, I'd be very happy to hear from you. While I have some good fun playing this faction, it can undoubtedly be improved and balanced-out based on your feedback. That's what I'm counting on.

I hope the theme isn't too depressing. While totalitarian regimes are not much fun in real life, this is supposed to be only a game.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Unofficial faction: the Totalitarians
I didn't go into any detaled testing etc (and probably I won't) but I had a remark about Action cards.
In IS if action cards is used it is indicated by leaving goods used to activate card on the activated card. I don't how it would work with Amnesty(Action: release 1H from house arrest to build a common location for free
) or Private initiative (Action: discard 2 cards, get 1 common card and 1 G
)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Re: Unofficial faction: the Totalitarians
With Amnesty the 1H that's being released should be placed on the card to mark that it's been used. You're not getting that 1H to use for yourself (not getting it back into your supply), so you might as well put it on the card (or even should , for that matter). I guess what may be confusing is that you'd expect to get that 1H if you release him - but you don't. If the text on a card doesn't specifically say you get to take 1H or put a detainee into your supply, you don't.

As far as marking an action on Private Initiative goes, it should work the same way as some of the official cards work, e.g. the Tavern. I always put the discarded cards on the action card (slightly offset), though, admittedly, it can disorganise the tableau a bit.

Thanks for giving it a read and for your remarks! Hope you change your mind about trying it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.