Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I've always been interested in miniatures wargames, bought tons of rulebooks and minis, painted like crazy, then wasa always disappointed.

I hate spending hundreds of dollars on minis, then building scenery, the worrying about where I can store all that junk, then play it once to learn it's a crappy game.

I don't enjoy games that are built around special powers. Yes I want units to be differents, but prefer subtle differences to: this unit can fly and crap exploding poop. This one can teleport and autokill, and this one got spray acid when he dies, and this one is worthless but funny...

I hate rolling buckets of dice then adding one because my armor is pink, another because I washed my socks, minus two for spaghetti overload plus three because of my badass skull pin on my shoulder, and remove 10 because the opponent is spooky, divide by 3.57 because he is taller than you then add 1,47 because the grass is wet.

Hate games where you spend 3 turns closing the gap between your minis because it's close range weapons. Then spending 10 turns with minis not moving on the map. Just rolling dice until one wins.

Tried Warhammer 40k, warhammer, malifaux, anima tactics, song of blades and heroes, lord of the rings, battlelore and memoir 44.

So, I'm looking for a fairly realistic wargame, preferably modern warfare with guns than medieval sword fights, that is quite easy to play without thousands of exceptions and small rules but that do allow for different units that goes a bit further than this unit can move 1 hex and attack with 2 dices, while this one move 2 hex and attack with 1 dice.

I would also like position on the battlefield to matter. Put the sniper on high ground, hide in the bushes, take cover inside buildings, blow them up with mortar, etc. Machine gun suppressive fire, grenades and rocket launcher. But not too detailed.

A simple but realistic game, that does not require to be a history buff to be able to play. That I don't need to knwo the differences between panzer III model F and G to be able to play competently.

And no miniatures. Cardboard is good enough.

Battlelore and memoir were to abstract for me. While there was some usage of cover, and some differences between units, it was not what I was looking for.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out some traditional war games maybe. One of the combat commander games could work. It's not as complex as you would think once you start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Cruz

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try Dust:Warfare!

There are some great videos by Rodney Smith from "how its played" describing the basics.

It has suppression, guns, big guns, Walkers..very light on the modifiers too.
Cool (and cheap!) minis..I'ts my go to miniatures game! We have a lot of old 40k players, check it out!

Edit: you said no more miniatures at the end there, missed that, but Dust Warfare is a cool game none the less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what about Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer?
It is the most realistic squad level game that I have seen and the rules are still easy to learn.

You could also try Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42. It is a nice game but there can be some gamey tactics.

As another option, you could always try Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes but for some reason this game didn't do it for me.

I haven't played any combat commander so can't say anything about that but if you like armor... this game has none. I know there is a module that has armor but don't know which one it is and how it plays

ASL... think this might be to complicated.

You could also take a look at Heroes of Normandie This one has snipers, leaders, armor and it is easy to make your own scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record. I really enjoyed Silent Storm and company of Heroes of the pc.

Maybe a game on the ipad could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Pacific
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
super_bruno wrote:

A simple but realistic game, that does not require to be a history buff to be able to play. That I don't need to knwo the differences between panzer III model F and G to be able to play competently.

As Han Solo once said, "Well that's the real trick, isn't it?" Actually, it isn't a trick at all, in a cardboard wargame the stats are almost always on the counter and you can easily SEE the difference (if any) between a PZ III ausf F and a -G.

Personally, I like Band of Brothers, which does have cover in buildings and trees, mortars, and a fairly short rulebook. It does NOT have blown up buildings, nor grenades and rocket launchers. Heroes of Normandie is more that style.

You also might want to try posting in the wargame subforum, you'd be sure to get a dozen or so answers over there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer does seem to be the standard response, I do own a copy and it seems good but I haven't played it much.

A quick defence of miniatures rules - you don't have to have the minis to play, I printed out some stickers with pictures of ancient Egyptian and Hittite warriors and attached them to 4x2cm foamcore rectangles to experiment with Warmaster Ancients in a different period.

Warmaster is a lot better than Warhammer in that you fight with units instead of heroes, where the ordinary soldiers are just there as extra wounds.

For a more modern setting, consider Stargrunt II, each squad just needs 6-8 counters - one leader, one support weapon and the rest regular infantry. My only problem with it is it works best at company level, ie 50-100 figures, which is fine if you use 15mm figures (or counters) but I've collected the 25mm figures and it needs a bit too much table space.

So I'm still looking for a good set of platoon-a-side rules - all I've found so far are either over-detailed skirmish rules intended for one figure per player or so light that it isn't worth getting the figures out of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, funniest post of the day. I'm totally making a flying unit with exploding poop.

I had same problem..give me the coolness of squad level fights but make the mobility, firepower, position stuff more like what I kept reading in the military history books. So not a game rigged to sell their minis with all their strange powers.

So far I'm liking elements of No Limits and Infinity, but I'll probably need to add them to my Frankenstein mash-up of elements from other systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmmm, Ogre!

Sorry, what were you saying? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
Gurps, maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
Gurps, maybe?

Gurps, otherwise known to me as: "here are millions of rules, mix and match to build your own game out of it".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Combat Commander: Europe or Combat Commander: Pacific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Postmark wrote:
Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer does seem to be the standard response, I do own a copy and it seems good but I haven't played it much.

A quick defence of miniatures rules - you don't have to have the minis to play, I printed out some stickers with pictures of ancient Egyptian and Hittite warriors and attached them to 4x2cm foamcore rectangles to experiment with Warmaster Ancients in a different period.

Warmaster is a lot better than Warhammer in that you fight with units instead of heroes, where the ordinary soldiers are just there as extra wounds.

For a more modern setting, consider Stargrunt II, each squad just needs 6-8 counters - one leader, one support weapon and the rest regular infantry. My only problem with it is it works best at company level, ie 50-100 figures, which is fine if you use 15mm figures (or counters) but I've collected the 25mm figures and it needs a bit too much table space.

So I'm still looking for a good set of platoon-a-side rules - all I've found so far are either over-detailed skirmish rules intended for one figure per player or so light that it isn't worth getting the figures out of the box.

Thanks! The problem with minis, is not only miniatures, but also terrain that you have to build, and usually requires at lest 6'x4' table. So lots of work to get started, and requires lots of table space and storage space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
durchske wrote:
what about Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer?
It is the most realistic squad level game that I have seen and the rules are still easy to learn.

You could also try Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42. It is a nice game but there can be some gamey tactics.

As another option, you could always try Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes but for some reason this game didn't do it for me.

I haven't played any combat commander so can't say anything about that but if you like armor... this game has none. I know there is a module that has armor but don't know which one it is and how it plays

ASL... think this might be to complicated.

You could also take a look at Heroes of Normandie This one has snipers, leaders, armor and it is easy to make your own scenarios.

+1 for each of them.

Also: Melee, if you are into crafting your own game ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quickly read the rules to both Ghost Panzer and Heroes of Normandie.

GP seems to have much cleaner rules compared to HoN. Much easier to follow. But HoN does offer much more options. Seems difficult to lear HoN from the rule book. There is so much if then in there it's kind of confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it's not quite an exact match (solidly sci-fi rather than modern, rules can be extremely complex if you throw everything in), you may want to take a look at the Battletech Introductory Box Set.

*Hex Map base means minimal terrain needed to play
*Special abilities come from equipment, not specific models
*With the Starter Set, most weapons/abilities are very straightforward, making the game easier to learn
*Positioning is EXTREMELY important, and most games turn into a sparring match of alternating closing in for an attack and fighting for cover, depending on initiative rolls. Very few Stand and Shoot games that I've seen (particularly if Light and Medium mechs are in the game).

However, if you're the sort of gamer I am, and you jump in whole-hog before actually trying it (WarmaHordes has, IIRC, a 60 dollar 2 player starter, Malifaux isn't much more expensive for 2 players, and most terrain transfers between games quite easily), then there is a LOT of stuff to drop your money on. But start with the starter set, and if that's a style of game you like, you have lots of room to expand and play in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Green
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Gamer Dedication
badge
Don't let the fun stop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest giving Bolt Action by Warlord Games a try. The financial footprint for a starter army (1000 points) is $100. Rules are $20 and specialized dice are $20. The starter army (usually) is an HQ squad, 4 infantry squads, a machine gun team, a mortar team, and a tank. Sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the country starter you purchase. Lots of youtube videos let you see how the game is played and whether you might like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's pretty specific! Ars Victor has a sci fi theme, but I think you could substitute with a modern one and it would work perfectly. It might be similarly abstract to Battlelore though. Otherwise it might be a good fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched a video of Heroes of Normandie. Not sure about that one. While it seems like a fun game. It appears to be quite gamey, with cards that allows you to remove order tokens from the enemy and the zone of control that allows you to block areas of the board, a bit like in Descent 2.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.