Popular Tags: [View All]
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should an experienced gamer but a complete newbie to this game take the role of the Americans or British? Does it matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BartowWing wrote:
Should an experienced gamer but a complete newbie to this game take the role of the Americans or British? Does it matter?

British
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The British tend to be stronger early game. The Americans gain strength as the game goes along.

For this reason I would give the newer player the British.

Not to be self-serving but...

I recommend you download and print my Colony Control chart here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/61605/yaccc-colony-control...

This will help give a goal to the newer player. He can see where he stands in terms of colonies and which he might easily gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, British. Takes a bit to grok American play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
British, with a caveat.

It is easier to see the British advantages and make use of them, as they are more closely related to traditional uses of military in popular games.

The caveat: You should probably remind the British player frequently that the game is won or lost based on political control, not based on how many battles you win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ketchum
United States
New Castle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
BartowWing wrote:

British

It's hard to disagree with the game designer, and I may be biased by my many game plays, but I'd want to play the Americans were I a n00b. The Brits have the power, but what would a newbie do if dealt a hand of 1 cards and events as the Brits? The Americans have a ton of flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.