Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could I be both the Governor and the Admiral, for instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Squelart
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Auctioning (Almost) All The Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, If other players let you do this, you can be master of both sea and land defenses!
Of course it means you have spent two of your movements on these while others got other things, so make it count!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ottevaere Wouter
Belgium
Vosselaar
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the correct historical theme of the game: you don't get the title of Admiral or Governor, because you are playing as an English privateer who's pillaging Spanish forts, towns and ships.

Getting the Admiral and/or Governor tile means that you laid your hands on information from the Admiral and/or Governor about the military strength of respectively ships and/or soldiers.

So if you got both tiles, you are well informed about the military strenghts of both naval and land forces of the Spanish colonial army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Squelart
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Auctioning (Almost) All The Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ottevaere, I wouldn't agree with your interpretation, since the player actively chooses where the defenses go, instead of just having a look at randomly-placed disks.

How about this: While visiting Plymouth, you meet shady characters who can bribe the Admiral and/or Governor on your behalf and entice them to distribute their defenses as you suggest before you set sail.

Or closer to your idea: You intercept defense plans as they are dispatched, but you may change them as you see fit before forwarding them.

Edit: But yes I agree with your point that the player is probably not the Admiral and/or Governor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
gerald wrote:
Ottevaere, I wouldn't agree with your interpretation, since the player actively chooses where the defenses go, instead of just having a look at randomly-placed disks.

How about this: While visiting Plymouth, you meet shady characters who can bribe the Admiral and/or Governor on your behalf and entice them to distribute their defenses as you suggest before you set sail.

Or closer to your idea: You intercept defense plans as they are dispatched, but you may change them as you see fit before forwarding them.

Edit: But yes I agree with your point that the player is probably not the Admiral and/or Governor.
I find it a stretch to put too much super logical theme to the tile. Remember, placing the strength is only half of the power. You also get to claim points for each remaining gem, and the governor gets to move up one place when sailing out. Any theme logic added to that would be quite the stretch I think. It's a euro style game, you can't expect the theme to be flawless. I'm happy with how much theme it has as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
gerald wrote:

I find it a stretch to put too much super logical theme to the tile. Remember, placing the strength is only half of the power. You also get to claim points for each remaining gem, and the governor gets to move up one place when sailing out. Any theme logic added to that would be quite the stretch I think. It's a euro style game, you can't expect the theme to be flawless. I'm happy with how much theme it has as it is.

I think we're all just trying to have some fun with the theme.
To *roleplay* it a bit, as it were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
United States
Prospect
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My original thematic intention was that you have captured defensive plans and troop deployments or even captured a Spanish Admiral or Governor (or someone just below them in rank who knows the troop or frigate placements. Drake did 2 voyages prior to the first voyage listed in this game. The purpose was purely to gain information on the Spanish Main and learn how the Spaniards defended it. He made no attacks on these two voyages.

The benefits gained by such voyages was to be represented by the power of the Governor and the Admiral i.e. information about the Main unknown to other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
gerald wrote:

I do. While you could make the theme "break" here, basically you know what the Governor does and/or influence him, giving you an advantage.

For that this game has a lot of euro mechanics I found it to be very thematic (the other "thematic euros" I can recommend are Löwenherz and Infamy - rare gems.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.