Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched a really bad game review video, and it got me thinking, why would someone create a bad review?

To clarify, I don't mean a review where the reviewer dislikes the game/gives the game a bad rating. I mean a poorly executed review.

In the review I watched recently, the reviewer clearly didn't have a good grasp of the game (they explained how to play the game incorrectly in a major way, they muddled through the explanation, etc.). It was as if they had been taught the game incorrectly and never bothered to check the rules themselves.

At the end of the review, their rating system for the game was very strange and confusing, and didn't make a whole lot of sense (they broke it down into categories, and gave each category a star rating, but some categories were x out of 2 stars and some were x out of 1 star, rather than rating each category with the same number of stars and then averaging the ratings.

Why would someone create a review like this? I mean, if you're gonna write/film a review, you ought to know how to play the game, right? And you've probably seen other, good, reviews, why not take some notes from them? Even if it's your first review, that's not an excuse to execute it poorly. I dunno, what do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hear hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it's the same reason why anyone does anything badly; they don't realise they're doing it badly. I want to ask for a link but respect you for being kind enough to spare the person in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
I suppose it's the same reason why anyone does anything badly; they don't realise they're doing it badly. I want to ask for a link but respect you for being kind enough to spare the person in question.
While it's true that some people do things badly because they don't realize they are doing them badly... there are people who are aware that they do things badly and still do them. Karoke seems to be a prime example of this. But I agree that in the example given, the people probably don't realize that they are giving a poor review. But I suspect the motivation is that they enjoy expressing themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Livett
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd put it in the same boat as doing literally anything else, and take the wise words of Jake from Adventure Time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why write a bad book? Why make a bad game? Why ever lose a game? Etc, etc, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies, we're doing the best we can!!

Link to the reviews we've done: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/169800/geeklist-chart...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Singh
United States
Moreno Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The barrier to entry for many things has significantly lowered in the past 10-15 years. Having your words seen by thousands was only possible if you were in a printed magazine. Having our photos seen by millions was only possible if you were in the newspaper business. Having your videos seen by the masses was only possible if you were in the television business. None of these things were easy. Only the people who were driven to achieve it and were lucky enough to be given the platform had their work seen.

Now you just click a button and your work is out there for the world to see. The gate keepers are gone. I'm all for this new frontier of publication, but the consequence is that everyone has a platform even if they probably shouldn't. And what does it matter to them? The effort is minimal. Just some tapping at a keyboard, snapping the shutter or hitting the record button. No sweat lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
My apologies, we're doing the best we can!!

Link to the reviews we've done: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/169800/geeklist-chart...

Ha ha, I didn't mean you guys! You're doing a great job, keep it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunning-Kruger effect, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
I supported because ...
badge
my silence is not questioned, nor is my presence, and sometimes there's magic!
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy way to collect a bit of on the assumption that whoever does the GeekMod probably doesn't know the game and won't pay too much attention to the video anyway. Seems you don't need to actually watch the video to GeekMod it. Anyway, why put in any effort if you're only doing it for a couple of geekgold?

As others have pointed out, anyone can create a video with very little effort. They might think they've done an awesome job, and might never have watched anyone else's videos. I know a few kids in my neighbourhood who think their video skills are amazing, but really just like the fact that they're on the interwebz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It could be many things that lead to a terrible review: they don't know they don't know, their 'bar' is set extremely low and they wouldn't know 'quality' if it smacked them in the face, they aren't really interested in reviewing in the first place, but want an excuse to be seen on the internet, etc.

Like someone else said, these days anyone can put anything on the internet. This is both good and bad. Overall I would say it is resoundingly good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'd love to see more good reviews, so anybody who would be interested in contributing to this noble quest is more than welcome:

Voice of Experience Reviews Contest 2015: Prizes!

(one can participate by reviewing any ranked game they've played at least 10 times, deadline is April the 6th.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, BGG encourages bad reviews. You get microbadge awards based purely on quantity (GeekMod standards are *really* low), while there's no system award for quality. You reap what you sow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notclive wrote:
Easy way to collect a bit of on the assumption that whoever does the GeekMod probably doesn't know the game and won't pay too much attention to the video anyway. Seems you don't need to actually watch the video to GeekMod it. Anyway, why put in any effort if you're only doing it for a couple of geekgold?

As others have pointed out, anyone can create a video with very little effort. They might think they've done an awesome job, and might never have watched anyone else's videos. I know a few kids in my neighbourhood who think their video skills are amazing, but really just like the fact that they're on the interwebz.

The review was on YouTube, not on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:

That couldn't be more obvious to me. Thanks for articulating what I would hope many feel. Who puts something out for public ridicule they KNOW is bad? Very few if any is my guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbergom wrote:
Dunning-Kruger effect, maybe?

For those who don't know what this: Often the people who rate their own performance the best are the least competent doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
I supported because ...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
The review was on YouTube, not on here.

Well that's a relief

Your reviewers might honestly believe they're doing the world a service with their awesome new idea of reviewing boardgames. There's a chance they've never thought to look for other reviews, or even found BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're actually questioning quality control on YouTube?

YouTube???

That's like asking why everyone takes videos of their cats wearing silly costumes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
They could also still be finding they're style and way of doing things. Our early efforts were nothing short of awful. Seriously, like train wreck style bad. Who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:

YouTube???

That's like asking why everyone takes videos of their cats wearing silly costumes...

I only mentioned they did it on YouTube because someone suggested they did it for GeekGold. Does YouTube give you GeekGold now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
I supported because ...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
I only mentioned they did it on YouTube because someone suggested they did it for GeekGold. Does YouTube give you GeekGold now?

I understand you can get geekgold for linking a video. There was a thread recently where someone linked dozens of older review videos with the explicit intention of farming geekgold. Voices were raised, but cooler heads prevailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
kaziam wrote:

YouTube???

That's like asking why everyone takes videos of their cats wearing silly costumes... ;)

Everything should be in GeekGold. GeekGold should replace BitCoin. I want to buy pizza with GeekGold!

And I agree with the Dunning-Kruger hypothesis: The bad video reviewer has no idea that they're a bad video reviewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I do some things badly. I still want to do them so I do. I hope I am getting better at some of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Singh
United States
Moreno Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallboy wrote:
I know I do some things badly. I still want to do them so I do. I hope I am getting better at some of them

And keep at it! People do things poorly and put online for everyone to see? So what? Sure the signal to noise ratio might be worse off, but in the grand scheme of things, board game reviews are silly to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.