Subject: Image Exposures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: photos [+] [View All]
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
Please...if you take a picture of a scene that contains a lot of white (like a snowy landscape or a game being played on a white table or tablecloth), make sure you adjust the exposure for it. If you don't, the camera thinks the scene is overexposed and when it compensates for overexposure, the white parts of the image become gray.

I'm no photography expert, so I may have the technicals wrong (maybe some help from a pro here?), but here's the gist of how to fix this:

Get into position to take the picture, then hold up something gray in front of the camera that takes up most of the frame and do your light metering on that. Just make sure the gray thing is getting exposed to whatever light source you have. They actually make gray boards for this purpose.

As an alternative, try to frame the shot to exclude most of the whiteness while metering. Then, while maintaining the meter reading, move away to re-frame the scene as desired. (My digital camera has a half-press feature that holds the reading until you fully press the trigger. Unfortunately, it's hard to do too much moving around with the trigger half-pressed. For most boardgame images, though, I suspect the extent of motion is leaning forwards and leaning back.) I think you want about half the scene to be non-white so the camera gets a more accurate average of the light from the scene.

As a side-note, this also applies when there's a lot of black or dark color in the scene, but in the opposite direction of course. The camera will overexpose the dark scene and gray out the dark colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.