Hide
7 Posts

Formula D» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two Questions about Motor Damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John D'Alessandro
msg tools
I apologize if this first question should be obvious, but the use of "or"s is confusing me slightly. Subsection 16-0-1 of the Master Rules state that "when a driver rolls a 20 in 5th gear or a 30 in 6th gear...he must roll the black die to test the resistance or reliability of his engine, and so must do all the other drivers in 5th or 6th gear at this moment." Is the phrase "in 5th or 6th gear" intended to include any driver in a gear above 4th, or only those in the same gear as the player who triggered the check, i.e. if A is in 5th gear and B rolls a 30 in 6th gear (or if A is in 6th and B rolls a 20 in 5th), must A roll because he is in a gear above 4th, or is he exempt because he is not in the same gear as the player who triggered the check? If the former, the language "a gear above 4th" or "either of the top two gears" would be more clear; in case of the latter, adding "respectively" after "in 5th or 6th gear" would clarify the intent, as would the phrase "the same gear as the player who triggered the check".

My second question pertains to Subsection 16-0-3, the Rule of Inertia. If my roll in 4th gear is enough for me to reach my pit stall, may I (provided I still have WP remaining in my pit) use the inertia roll to enter my pit stall, declare a Long Pit Stop, and use the WP in my pit to repair Engine WP and thus remain in the race?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Papageorgiou
Greece
Larisa
Larisa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding the first question all cars above 4th gear must roll to check engine.

your second question is an interesting one. The rules mention that the car is eliminated if the engine blows, but is allowed one more move, (or consecutive moves if on last lap and after the last corner before the finish line). Since it does not mention pits but instead says elimination, I believe you cannot make any repairs in this case.
On the other hand, you could house rule if you wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D'Alessandro
msg tools
Okay, that makes sense from a realism standpoint, as a blown engine is not something that even the best F1 teams can repair in time to return to the track within the same race, let alone without losing a significant amount of time as a Formula D pit stop would. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I must have an older version of the rules. Is the Master Rules available somewhere?

Incidentally in regard to your second question, my version of the rules says when moving in the pit lane "The rules for gearing down, collision, braking and engine damage do not apply in the pit lane." So you can overshoot your pit stall with no problem. The rules go on to state that in a 'Technical Pit Stop' the driver changes his tires and can regain 2WP in any zone except tires. This means that an engine can be repaired in the pit. However, I agree that thematically it doesn't make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Master Rules are here

They are from before the Formula D edition, but still the best there are, opinions may vary, though.

On inertia:
You have to go as far as you can during your inertia move, and since changing lanes to go into the pits will slow you down, you are not allowed to do that.

On overshooting pits:
True, you have 'infinite' brakes for this move.

On repairing engine in pits:
You can choose to interpret it as engineers taking time to fasten a few nuts & bolts or adjust settings.

On rules that you do not like or think do not make sense:
Houserule it. The main purpose of gaming is to have fun, and if any rules prevent this, they should be changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taalmod wrote:
The Master Rules are here

They are from before the Formula D edition, but still the best there are, opinions may vary, though.

On inertia:
You have to go as far as you can during your inertia move, and since changing lanes to go into the pits will slow you down, you are not allowed to do that.

On overshooting pits:
True, you have 'infinite' brakes for this move.

On repairing engine in pits:
You can choose to interpret it as engineers taking time to fasten a few nuts & bolts or adjust settings.

On rules that you do not like or think do not make sense:
Houserule it. The main purpose of gaming is to have fun, and if any rules prevent this, they should be changed.

Thanks! Only browsed through them. I like the organization and the wording is much clearer. I had some nagging doubts about some rules, this should clear things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes absolutely no sense that if Player A rolls 20 in 5th gear, other players should also check for their engine's resistance.

I'm not a fan of house rulee. I'm actually very much opposed to house rules. But this is one case that I would definitely ignore if and when I have my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.