Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart
Australia
Wongawallan
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question from someone interested in getting into this game and world: How much of a money sink is this game? i.e. will I need to be buying new golems every month to keep my army competitive?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You won't need to buy new Golems to stay competitive, but you might want to because the design appeals to you.

You can make two very competitive 500 point armies with the armies that come in the box and free digital assets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HBS is slowing their release schedule down to about every other month now that all the Kickstarter backer rewards have been pushed out. So you're looking at an Arcanum pack (3 figure golem pack) every other month at a $35 MSRP. Sometimes those months might contain a colossal figure or map tile set but still, not a lot of money every other month for this type of game.

The game is "faction oriented". The base game comes with 3 figures from the Durani Empire faction and three figures from the Gudanna Dominion faction. There is also a Mercenary Kings faction. So you can pick a faction and just get things that work within that faction if you like.

The factions break down like this...

- Durani Empire uses Durani (stone golems), Urugal (bone golems), and Zikia (wood golems)
- Gudanna Empire uses Gudanna (blood & sand golems), Urugal, and Zikia
- Mercenary Kings uses Urugal and Zikia

Each Arcanum (type of golem... what they're made of) plays a little differently. Additionally, the knights that pilot golems are unique to a faction. So just because all three can use Urugal golems, none of the Urugal knights are shared within the factions. Each has their own unique knights with abilities that play well within the faction they've sworn allegiance to.

One of the nice things about the game is that it isn't "limited" (like HeroClix, for example). Everything will continue to be made and placed on shelves. So if you feel like you don't want to drop a bunch of money at once, you can pick up a new Arcanum pack every month (or whenever)... there isn't the urgency to get it now before it's gone.

Is it a bit costly to get started? Yes, more so than say a lot of board games (although there are some expensive board games out there!) but probably on par with something like X-Wing. Do you have to continually spend money to "keep up"? Not at all. With the ability to customize golems with knights and relics, everything is competitive in some way and probably will stay that way. And with releases every other month, it should be fairly easy to keep up even if you wanted everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are currently two Expansions per Arcanum, with 4 total Arcanum, making a total of 8 Expansions (the Base Set comes with the Golems from 2 of these Expansions).

If you focus your army on a particular Faction, the pool of Golems to choose from is really manageable, even if you're a completist.

You can even focus further on one of the story based sub-factions and focus your choices even more.

I make my armies part of the Gudanna Dominion and we've sworn loyalty to Raga Nandanna. So, I have personal restrictions that mean I only use Gudanna and Urugal Golems in my armies. That's 4 Expansions at $35 or less to have all the basic Golems available to me. Add another $65 if you want the Valkali Colossus. So, I could have spent $205 MSRP and had all the basic Golems available for my chosen sub-faction. That's easily enough to build a 2000 APV army, but I've never played a match with more than 1000 APV at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Australia
Wongawallan
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info. This is very interesting. I guess the other thing is that if I did jump into this game, I'd like to be involved in the evolving story. But at the moment, I don't know of any Emissaries in Brisbane. Do regular games between friends influence the story at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Argh.

My post just got eaten.

Short version:

For the first Living World Campaign, an Emissary wasn't required to unlock them. Play between friends was counted.

It's not clear if it will work exactly the same way in the next campaign, but I think players will still have a way to access these scenarios without an Emissary. There may be better access if you have an Emissary, but I think they'll still be accessible.

You could always apply to represent Brisbane:

http://golemarcana.com/emissaries/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly can become the Brisbane Emissary.

But to answer the question, you can influence the lore without the presence of an Emissary. When the Living Scenarios start up again you will be able to play them. The release will allow the Emissaries to have access to run Living Scenarios for a period of time before they will become available to everyone. Ultimately it doesn't matter because the results of the battle aren't determined until the entire play period is over. The window for general open play of the Living Scenarios was two weeks for each scenario for the first set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.