Brenton Cumberpatch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

We've played this 4 or 5 times now & played this last night with friedns who haven't and starting to get into board games. It had varied levels of enthusiasm from the group and we encountered some questions we were a bit fuzzy on.

1/. Monster movement.
Are monsters hampered in movement like the Heroes? Foe example, monster and 2 heroes in a room. Does the monster use 2 movement to exit or pass through the room?
We ruled it could move though freely as the rules use the term Explorer.

2/. Hero movement and attacking.
Can the hero move some of the speed, attack and then move the rest. We ruled they could as the rules said the movement ends once you draw a card.

3/. Speed and Damage.
Another thing to come up from the move/attack/move was this. Hero moves, attacks monster and gets defeated. Some of the damage comes off their speed, does this now affect the remainder of the movement?
We ruled that their movement was tied to their speed, not set at the beginning of their turn. Because really, if you're fighting something and get hurt, you aren't going to be able to move as efficiently as you did before...

4/. Stunned Monsters & Defending.
Can a stunned monster defend against an attack? We haven't played enough scenarios to understand this one fully but it came up in scenario 17 with the special attack. (Funnily enough most of the heroes wanted it to not be able to defend itself... the traitor was not amused )
We eventually ruled that it could as the heroes were beating the traitor handily and we didn't need any more help

4/. Secret Passage.
Does the secret passage let you avoid the exit effects of a room tile?
Group consesus was that it could but I felt that the exit effect should happen as the secret passage is just another exit, like a door.

Thanks for your help with these. Any help you can give us is appreciated

Chur,

Brenton
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Varios Movement & Attacking questions
edit-b wrote:

1/. Monster movement.
Are monsters hampered in movement like the Heroes? Foe example, monster and 2 heroes in a room. Does the monster use 2 movement to exit or pass through the room?
We ruled it could move though freely as the rules use the term Explorer.


Yes, heroes can indeed slow down monsters and traitors.

edit-b wrote:

2/. Hero movement and attacking.
Can the hero move some of the speed, attack and then move the rest. We ruled they could as the rules said the movement ends once you draw a card.


Yes, you can attack in the middle of your movement.

edit-b wrote:

3/. Speed and Damage.
Another thing to come up from the move/attack/move was this. Hero moves, attacks monster and gets defeated. Some of the damage comes off their speed, does this now affect the remainder of the movement?
We ruled that their movement was tied to their speed, not set at the beginning of their turn. Because really, if you're fighting something and get hurt, you aren't going to be able to move as efficiently as you did before...


Hmm. The FAQ doesn't say. Personally, I like how you ruled here.

edit-b wrote:

4/. Stunned Monsters & Defending.
Can a stunned monster defend against an attack? We haven't played enough scenarios to understand this one fully but it came up in scenario 17 with the special attack. (Funnily enough most of the heroes wanted it to not be able to defend itself... the traitor was not amused )
We eventually ruled that it could as the heroes were beating the traitor handily and we didn't need any more help


I haven't played scenario 17, and choose not to look at it ( ) but yes, you can attack a stunned monster. They do still roll to defend, but if they successfully defend, the attack still takes no damage.


edit-b wrote:
4/. Secret Passage.
Does the secret passage let you avoid the exit effects of a room tile?
Group consesus was that it could but I felt that the exit effect should happen as the secret passage is just another exit, like a door.


It doesn't matter how you leave. If you leave a room that says it does evil things when you leave, then it does those evil things.


All my answers (except for #3, as mentioned) come from the online FAQ posted by Hasbro: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs/hoth

I also recommend printing out the revised versions of both the Traitor's Tome and the Secrets of Survival: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/downloads and scroll about a fifth of the way down.

Enjoy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Varios Movement & Attacking questions
Related question:

There are four rooms that heal you. The way I read the rules, you could sit there and push up your stats to max, but that is *boring*. How do folks play this? I'm tempted to say you can't use it before the haunt starts, but afterwards you can use it ad infinitum. Once the haunt starts there's a clear danger in sitting around doing nothing, so I think it should take care of itself.

Is there a FAQ ruling on this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton Cumberpatch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Varios Movement & Attacking questions
daw65 wrote:
All my answers (except for #3, as mentioned) come from the online FAQ posted by Hasbro: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs/hoth

I also recommend printing out the revised versions of both the Traitor's Tome and the Secrets of Survival: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/downloads and scroll about a fifth of the way down.

Enjoy!


I was not aware of those! Thanks for the links and your answers.



B
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
Re: Varios Movement & Attacking questions
kostek wrote:
Related question:

There are four rooms that heal you. The way I read the rules, you could sit there and push up your stats to max, but that is *boring*. How do folks play this? I'm tempted to say you can't use it before the haunt starts, but afterwards you can use it ad infinitum. Once the haunt starts there's a clear danger in sitting around doing nothing, so I think it should take care of itself.

Is there a FAQ ruling on this?


If I recall, the FAQ says that each hero can use a particular room once per game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Varios Movement & Attacking questions
Your question, Ted, is addressed in the FAQ:

Chapel, Gymnasium, Larder, Library -- Can you stay in one of these rooms turn after turn to increase an attribute?
No. Each character can receive the benefit from each room just once per game (one boost for each trait for each player, if all four rooms are in play). Most players find this easy to remember, but if someone gets argumentative, keep a simple, written record
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Anthony Arcilla
Philippines
Los Baños
Laguna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Various Movement & Attacking questions
Quote:
4/. Stunned Monsters & Defending.
Can a stunned monster defend against an attack? We haven't played enough scenarios to understand this one fully but it came up in scenario 17 with the special attack. (Funnily enough most of the heroes wanted it to not be able to defend itself... the traitor was not amused )
We eventually ruled that it could as the heroes were beating the traitor handily and we didn't need any more help


Yes, stunned monsters can still defend with their dice, but they don't do any damage if they win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morin
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Various Movement & Attacking questions
edit-b wrote:
1. Monster movement.
Are monsters hampered in movement like the Heroes? Foe example, monster and 2 heroes in a room. Does the monster use 2 movement to exit or pass through the room?
We ruled it could move though freely as the rules use the term Explorer.


I run it that each opposing character means -1 to speed. So if a hero has a movement of 6, and trying to get past 3 foes, they need 4 to get across the tile.


edit-b wrote:
2. Hero movement and attacking.
Can the hero move some of the speed, attack and then move the rest. We ruled they could as the rules said the movement ends once you draw a card.


We play that once you attack, your movement ends.


edit-b wrote:
3. Speed and Damage.
Another thing to come up from the move/attack/move was this. Hero moves, attacks monster and gets defeated. Some of the damage comes off their speed, does this now affect the remainder of the movement?
We ruled that their movement was tied to their speed, not set at the beginning of their turn. Because really, if you're fighting something and get hurt, you aren't going to be able to move as efficiently as you did before...


We play similarly, damage taken to speed is immediately effective.


edit-b wrote:
4. Stunned Monsters & Defending.
Can a stunned monster defend against an attack? We haven't played enough scenarios to understand this one fully but it came up in scenario 17 with the special attack. (Funnily enough most of the heroes wanted it to not be able to defend itself... the traitor was not amused )
We eventually ruled that it could as the heroes were beating the traitor handily and we didn't need any more help


In most cases they can't kill monsters, so hitting a stunned monster does no good, unless it's part of the senario. I run it like this a stunned monster is simply staggered, not knocked out (they come back next turn). I believe the intent of the game is that the heroes are not powerful enough to defeat monsters entirely, but can hold their own. So if a hero attacks a stunned monster, the thing can still defend itself, it just doesn't have the wits to attack the round it was stunned.

edit-b wrote:
4. Secret Passage.
Does the secret passage let you avoid the exit effects of a room tile?
Group consesus was that it could but I felt that the exit effect should happen as the secret passage is just another exit, like a door.


I would play it on a tile-by-tile basis.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.