Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince "How it's Played Board Games" Putorek
United States
Bristol
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,
I need some help beating a dark side deck my friend has put together. Neither of us are great players, and we only play casually not in tournaments or anything like that. Our decks are built mostly for fun and coming up with cool themes. The deck he has constructed consists of;
Sith Affiliation
1x The Executor Arrives
1x Black Squadron Assault
1x Endless Reserves
1x A Dark Time for the Rebellion
1x Imperial Blockade
1x Deploy the Fleet
1x Defense Protocol
1x The Endor Gambit
2x Death and Despayre
He has named his deck Vehicular Manslaughter and the name seems to fit pretty well.

My deck consists of;
Smugglers and Spies Affiliation
1x May the Force be with You
1x Wookiee Life Debt
2x A Hero’s Trial
2x Following Fate
2x Ties of Blood
2x Questionable Contacts
I call my deck The Dream Team but it hasn’t been that dreamie.

We've played these two decks against each other three times now. He has won all three. Two of the games came down to the last turn, he got the Death Star dial up to 12 on his turn and had it made it to my turn I would've destroyed my third objective. The other game he blew me out in. There seems to be two main problems I'm having; first of all while I'm able to use Twi’lek Smuggler, Speeder Bikes and my mains like Yoda, Obi-wan, Leia and even Han to keep his board tactics down and the Force with me most of the time, he just has to get through a few times with the Death Squadron Star Destroyer, Devastator, Imperial I – class Star Destroyer or Executor. In all three games he's taken out three of my objectives. That's six points on the Death Star dial right there, and even taking one point off with my Dagobah Nudj isn't enough. I can't seem to do enough damage to his objectives.

That leads to the second problem I'm having. It's not that I can't damage his objectives but rather in all three games I've had three or four damage on an objective and I'm ready to take it out on my next turn and he draws into his Defense Upgrade. In all three games he's gotten them both out, making two of his objectives have eight damage capacity. It has happened several times when I’ve already had three or four damage on an objective and now all of a sudden I have to do four or five more damage to that objective and I just haven't been able to do it fast enough.

It seems like what I need is something that will remove those enhancements from play. The only thing I can see to do is put in a Tribal Support to get the Yub Yub’s, but then they are conditional on being able to Focus and Ewok unit. Even if I decide to use that Objective Set what Objective Set should I take out? Also can you think of any better sets or cards that can help me get rid of those enhancements? Or some other sets that would play a different strategy that would allow me to defeat his deck? We only play for fun but I would like to be able to beat this deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have time to go looking at everything, but I tend to try to fight vehicle vs vehicle. Not always the best way, but it is a way.
That or just throw a bunch of Tactics units on there and bog him down... I am sure there will be more helpful comments with more specific details later.

EDIT:
It got the best of me... Here is my 2-cents.
I would switch to Rebels rather than Smugglers and get Home One (The Rebel Fleet, #11) in there, add another copy of My the Force Be With You, and either seriously reconsider your Following Fate set due to your lack of "expendable" force users (either add more force users, or put Core Kenobi in it's place?). I've also had good luck with Mission Briefing and having Heavy Blaster Emplacement putting the heat on the Empire.

That, or keep your Smugglers, but add Across the Anoat Sector instead of Wookie Life debt. for the Sleuth Scouts which are nice little units vs high-cost decks.

Okay, now I hope that helps... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that occurs to me, if you packed in double copies of Following Fate and Self Preservation (and went pure Jedi), it could make his life very uncomfortable by suiciding Gotal Outcasts against his objectives to trigger the Following Fate version of Obi-Wan.

You can also pop in The Master's Domain for the instant force flip. Then The Outcasts transform into instant Star Destroyer killers without any warning.

"I'm going to attack with two units that have no icons whatsoever. If you block and destroy one, then I'll get to nuke one of your units. But, surprise, now they both have two blast icons."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only have 9 objectives listed for the DS deck.

For youre deck Id suggest a second copy of May the Force be with You. Having essentially 4 Yodas will make the deck much more consistent.

Also looking at your deck Id put $ on that LS deck everytime against that DS deck. You should have no problem keeping him focused down because 1 his things are expensive and 2 he only has 1 elite unit. Even if he is able to draw into Vast Resources and the other ways of reducing ship costs I don't see him getting more than 1 unit a turn maybe 2. You should also be winning edge almost every time. I wouldn't put too much focus on finding answers to the enhancement. Don't make youre deck worse just deal with one card in his deck.

Heres my suggestions:

-2 Following Fate
-1 Leia
-1 Wookie Life Debt

+1 May the Force be with you
+1 Asteroid Sanctuary
+1 Along the Gamor Run

Theres really tons of options for you though. Lots of variations to this list!

Maybe check out some of the awesome articles found on the various SWLCG sites. Mike Cipra just wrote an article about the Edge Battle on Fliptheforce. Knowing when to attack and when to defend is pretty crucial in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bristol
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stubobj wrote:
You only have 9 objectives listed for the DS deck.

Thanks for pointing that out, I did an edit and added the missing Objective Set which was The Endor Gambit.

stubobj wrote:
Also looking at your deck Id put $ on that LS deck everytime against that DS deck. You should have no problem keeping him focused down because 1 his things are expensive and 2 he only has 1 elite unit. Even if he is able to draw into Vast Resources and the other ways of reducing ship costs I don't see him getting more than 1 unit a turn maybe 2. You should also be winning edge almost every time.

I also thought the LS would win fairly easily against this DS deck, for the same reasons you mention. I do lock his board down a lot, rarely lose the force and win most edge battles. That having been said as is typical of Imperial heavy decks he produces a lot of resources. Between the Objective Death and Despayre which he almost always has at least one of on the board, and cards like Capt. Needa, Admiral's Orders, Control Room, Death Squadron Command, Vast Resources and the Sith Holocron to get out Executor he manages to do alright. I think he holds on to his Defense Upgrades until I've done three or four damage to an objective. Then he puts the Defense Upgrade on that objective and suddenly I've done an awful lot of work with no payoff. I then have to decide, do I continue to attack the objective with the Defense Upgrade or move onto another one. If I move onto another one he waits till I have three or four damage on that one and puts another Defense Upgrade on it.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm going to try tweaking my deck a little based on those suggestions and see if I can pull out a win or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bristol
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an interesting note about deck probabilities. In the game where my friend crushed me I had drawn my first 13 cards before I got one of my mains. So the first 12 cards did not produce a Leia, Obi-wan, Luke, Han, Yoda or Chewy. In this deck there are 50 cards to draw from. Of those 50, ten are my main characters. Using Hypergeometric calculations the odds of drawing at least one of my main characters in the first 12 cards is 95.3%. In other words what happened to me, not drawing a main in my first 12 cards , would only happen 4.7% of the time. Lucky me I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.