Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on when would be the best time to use the Market? I'm thinking it wouldn't come into play in the first few turns when workers are scarce. If you have a spare worker, it might even be OK to go there later in the order, just to pick up a card you think another player might turn in. I can see though two general strategic reasons for going there:

1 -- In connection with going first in the Council and then looking at the inventions and reordering them, then if you are a card or two short and the card in question is likely to be in the market, it saves you the cost of going to that specific location. This seems to be a great way to set up for turns 8 or 9, because you will know what inventions are likely to come out, what resources you can get, plus be in a position to possibly prevent inventions that could help other players to come out as well.

2 -- If you are thinking of starting on a recently revealed invention (probably one of the more difficult ones) and are a card or two short and the specific location is likely to be real pricey.

In any event, this tactic only works if you have the excess card or cards that you are sure you are not going to need to do an invention. Thus, it seems like it's going to be useful (if at all) late in the game as collecting lots of cards up to that point seems a generally useful exercise.

I do like the expansion though because it gives players a way out when they are a card or two short and, in the normal game, would thus be forced to sit out the critical rounds 8-9 with an idle lab or labs, which of course is usually going to be a recipe for defeat in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.