Hide
12 Posts

Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Small World Race - Relic Knights rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf Calderon
msg tools
Hey guys, I was recently inspired to make several custom Small World races with the plan to post them as ready to print PDFs - The first of these is Relic Knights.

You can view the PDF here
http://issuu.com/moopymorkyfeet/docs/relic_knights_smallworl...

Rules:

6 Tokens base / 15 total

Before your first conquest, select an opponent to place the Relic token in a region. The region holding the Relic token may not be Immune or be made Immune, and the Relic Knights may never begin their conquests in a region or adjacent to a region containing the Relic token. The Relic token may not be placed in a region already containing an active Relic Knight race token. At the end of any turn in which your Relic Knights occupy the region containing the Relic token, remove it; take a new Relic Knight token from the tray, add it to the troops you redeploy, and collect a bonus Victory coin. Then, select a new opponent (if available) to place the Relic token in a new region. Remove the Relic token when your Relic Knights go into Decline.

The Relic Knights are on a constant quest to obtain Relics, with each Relic bringing more wealth and additional knights into the fold. They're really fun in multiplayer, as the other players will use you as a political tool and weapon.

If you're interested in trying them out, here is the direct download link for the PDF:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/hwhb1j1uv8fe4ux

I'll be posting new free race PDFs on my hobby blog each week which is here:
www.moopysavessummer.com

Here's a picture of the pieces I made to test with

Thanks for checking them out! If you print these up and try them out, I'd love your feedback and anecdotes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Toman
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
I love Fan made races and will definitely print these out. One question though, how many tokens should there be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Calderon
msg tools
15 total, the PDF lets you know to print the second page twice for the other 5 tokens and the back side of the Relic token

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
The shape of the relic token that you have used, is the shape that is used for regions being immune to conquest and powers (Halfling holes, Heroes, Dragon etc.) You should choose another shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Calderon
msg tools
Hi Lars, thanks a lot for the feedback! I think you're right, and I made the quick change. Ideally it would be a little chalice cut-out token but instead it's a square the same size as a race token, which is probably easier when cut/pasting a printed version anyway.

let me know if you try them out, and thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you clarify this rule?

MoopyMorkyfeet wrote:
... and the Relic Knights may never begin their conquests in a region or adjacent to a region containing the Relic token. The Relic token may not be placed in a region already containing an active Relic Knight race token.

It sounds like it means the first conquest relic knights make each turn must be into a region that is one region away from the relic. So, it would take three conquests per turn to get to the relic (ie. first conquest is into a region not adjacent to relic, second conquest is into a region that is adjacent to the relic, third conquest is into the region with the relic).

Or does it mean that at the start of their turn, they just cannot be in the region with the relic nor in any region adjacent to the region with the relic? But, what if the opponent places the relic in a region that is adjacent to a relic knight owned region?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Calderon
msg tools
"the Relic Knights may never begin their conquests in a region or adjacent to a region containing the Relic token."
Hi! Yes, best case scenario, your first conquest has to be three regions away from where the relic is.

"The Relic token may not be placed in a region already containing an active Relic Knight race token."
This rule is more for your opponents than you as the active relic knights player - when an opponent places the relic token, they cannot place it in a region already occupied by the relic knights.

But, what if the opponent places the relic in a region that is adjacent to a relic knight owned region?
That's ok - the rules only prevent you from picking up your race and redeploying it right on top of or right next to the relic - but other than not being able to place the relic token in a region you already occupy or placing it in an immune region, an opponent can place the relic token anywhere they want, including right next to an active relic knight token or one of your previous races that are now in Decline. they'd better have a good reason to place it adjacent to you though, because you'll be getting a bonus victory coin and a new race token if you conquer that region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer
msg tools
Interesting race idea. Feels like a hybrid of Orcs and Skeletons.

Regarding that rule about 'never begin their conquests in a region or adjacent to a region containing the Relic token'.

It does seem to prevent the Relic Knights from making conquests on a turn when they begin the turn located in a region adjacent to the Relic token.

Your rule states 'never begin their conquests' under such and such condition.

Or at the least, its confusing. If your Relic Knights are in a region adjacent to the Relic, should you make the first conquest of the turn in some other region, and then its ok to make a subsequent conquest of the Relic that turn? (since the rules states 'never begin their conquests'

It's obvious what you're intent is, I just think the wording can be cleared up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Calderon
msg tools
casualgamer77 wrote:
Interesting race idea. Feels like a hybrid of Orcs and Skeletons.

Regarding that rule about 'never begin their conquests in a region or adjacent to a region containing the Relic token'.

It does seem to prevent the Relic Knights from making conquests on a turn when they begin the turn located in a region adjacent to the Relic token.

Your rule states 'never begin their conquests' under such and such condition.

Or at the least, its confusing. If your Relic Knights are in a region adjacent to the Relic, should you make the first conquest of the turn in some other region, and then its ok to make a subsequent conquest of the Relic that turn? (since the rules states 'never begin their conquests'

It's obvious what you're intent is, I just think the wording can be cleared up.

Hmm haddn't had this comment - this is very much under the umbrella of rules as written vs intended - would the phrase "when entering the board" help with your concern rather than "begin their conquests"? Seems like that would cover it.

My hobby background is in wargaming so Im definitely not a stranger to someone trying some leap of logic to create a loophole by misinterpreting rules hahaha.

EDIT - ok the wording has been updated to "when entering the board" so that should cover it. You're a badass, Casual! thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer
msg tools
Yeah that seems to clear it up nicely. And glad to help

I haven't done any wargaming, but have a few friends who are sticklers with rules. They need them to be AIR TIGHT. I suppose I'm looking out for those folks and their stress levels hahaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like this idea.

I was trying to do something similar but without the additional race token for each relic conquered. Do you think the balance of your race would be kept if, instead of gaining an additional RT, the player got a set number of VP? For example, 4 relics, one worth 1 VP, 2 worth 3 VP, one worth 5 VP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Calderon
msg tools
nathanielz wrote:
I like this idea.

I was trying to do something similar but without the additional race token for each relic conquered. Do you think the balance of your race would be kept if, instead of gaining an additional RT, the player got a set number of VP? For example, 4 relics, one worth 1 VP, 2 worth 3 VP, one worth 5 VP?

Thats another interesting way to take it, in that case would there be 4 Relic tokens with varying Victory Coins values and you'd be after a different random token without knowing the value?

For me that's a little too close to the newer Skags race and their 'loot' mechanic, and might also make going after the Relic less desirable, plus would you run out of Relic tokens after getting all 4?

The idea behind the Relic Knights is that they're a race that can be used politically in multiplayer games and will constantly be given an incentive to go into combat. Yeah, the token can be put into one of your own In Decline regions and often does when you're playing 1v1 and its not your first race, but it makes for a fun dynamic in 3+ player games, especially in larger 4-5 player games as different opponents use you to attack another enemy. "Sorry, the Relic token is in your region, i gotta get it" hehe.

Thematically, the longer your 'crusade' or 'quest' goes on, the more knights you will rally, to a maximum of 15 possible tokens (compare to 20 for Skeletons and 18 for Sorcerers), and players may try to shut you down by attacking you so you cannot go through their regions. The Relic token gives another race token to fuel your ability to reach a new Relic in future turns or try to replenish the race tokens you've lost in the course of stomping around other player's regions as they begin to try to curb you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.