David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview
Wits and Wagers is a party trivia game that awards those that know the answer, but has greater awards for those that know who has the right answer. Combining roulette-style betting with trivia, this is a lively game that gets you thinking and laughing.

Each player (or team) is given a small dry-erase card and a marker, and a question is read that has a numerical answer. The guessers are to come up with an answer without going over (good old "Price Is Right Rules").

Next, all the guesses are shown and arranged in numerical order on the betting mat. Players have two bets of $5 to place on any one or two answers they like. Depending on where an answer is arranged it has odds ranging from 1-1 to 4-1. The correct answer is read, and at this time someone gets to act as croupier and pay out those that bet on the answer that came in equal to or just under the correct answer (I love being the croupier). The individual that gave the right answer gets $10. Those that bet on the right answer get paid out depending on the odds, so a $5 on 3-1 odds would get you $15.

Seven rounds are played. The game takes about 20-30 minutes for newbies and large groups, but certainly starts flying once people are familiar with the game.

Visuals
The creaters did a great job on the game. Mainly with the betting mat. I'm sure some manufacturers tried to get them to cut out this costly piece, but it really adds to the game. The game comes with a nice thick mat that is used to track bets. It looks like a traveling Craps mat, or something out of roulette. And, there are even wooden cubes, which makes all of us gamers feel at home.

Rules
The rules are well-written and easily understandable. Plenty of full-color samples make actually reading the rules not necessary.

Mechanics
The mechanics of the game are nice and simple, as any good party game should.

Impressions
I'm a big fan of the game, and of Dominic Crapuchettes the author. I had many dealings with him while purchasing this and Cluzzle, and he was accomodating and friendly beyond all expectations. If for no other reason, buy this game merely to support one of the 'good guy' game designers.
One of the difficulties of finding a good party game is dealing with an odd number of players. This alleviates the problem in two ways: the game supports up to 7 players, but teams work wonderfully. So, as long as your number can be split into 4, 5, 6 or 7 teams you're golden. If you're dealing with some prime number, then as the host sit out and play 'game show host' (this allows you to also be the bank/croupier). It's actually a lot of fun to just read the cards and deal with the money. (I'm one of those 'center of attention' kinda people.)

I've played this with small groups (just two couples) and larger groups (I brought it to an all-nighter at work), and it went over well with both.

This is also a great game for mixed groups because it doesn't overly favor the 'Trivial Pursuit' expert. Don't be scared off by the 'trivia' aspect of this game! Most of the questions have little to do with history, science or literature. Most are weird questions that take a lot of common sense, or just a flat out wild guess. That's where a lot of the fun comes in. One bright guy at work was doing real well with the questions, but being a young guy thought that 600 grams of carbohydrates a day was what Atkins limits you to. Being a So Cal boy, I thought 1500 inches of snow a year was a decent average for a northern state.

My Rating
I give this 8.25 according to the BGG scale. Note that I haven't handed out a single 10, and very few 9's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm a big fan of the game, and of Dominic Crapuchettes the author. I had many dealings with him while purchasing this and Cluzzle, and he was accomodating and friendly beyond all expectations.

Ahh shucks! blush

Quote:
If for no other reason, buy this game merely to support one of the 'good guy' game designers.

I'd rather this not happen (and I doubt it will). That would be like getting overly positive feedback from game testers (which is not helpful in the long run).

(Psst! I think you missed point #3 in last week's assigned reading: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/132846 )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, Dave. This has become our "go-to" game when we have a group of people over. The betting and the interesting facts are a great combo.

I think trivia games became popular because most people enjoy reading trivia, but recalling trivial facts is a different matter, this game fixes that.

I can't wait to put this on the table over the holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.