Ian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is part 2/3 of my rather productive micro-game spurt. I finally had a few hours to myself that did not involve graduate work - so it all just kind of came out at once. This was the first of the three that I made over the weekend, but I was not sure to post this one - yet. It is "WIP-ish" because I am not entirely satisfied with the rules as listed on the card. As a summary, I think it is fine - but I think I need to probably write out more to clarify (the game is not that hard)

Wren's Nest
2-4 Players (works well for any number of players - 2 works quite well)
Ages 4+ - I originally planned this one for learning colors/numbers

Contents
12 Nest Cards
5 Wild Cards
1 Rules Summary

Summary
During a round, players build a 4-card nest. Each round is broken into 2 phases. Players receive 2 cards each phase: they keep one and pass the other one. Players then choose the side they want to score on each card and place the cards on the table to start their nests (facing towards the center - bird - is what I have in the rules, but it might be easier to face towards the player). The second phase has the same process as the first (keep one card, pass the other). Once the second phase cards are played, the points are tallied and the round ends. The object of the game is to have the highest combined point total from all 4 cards. The player with the highest total attracts the bird and wins the round.

The catch: only one side from each card can score - and each color can only score once. Wild Cards score the maximum 3 points each BUT only if there is an odd number - otherwise, they score nothing. Why? What better to attract a bird than a mate? If there are already 2 Wild Cards in the nest - three is a crowd ... so you are less likely to attract the bird.

Nest Card

The Nest Cards have 4 different colors to represent the 4 different choices a player can use to select which side scores. Points are indicated by the pips (in this case, one side has "0"). Players have to carefully choose which color they want to use to score, since each color can only be used once. This also means that the second phase has a little more defensive/management potential in making sure to not give the other player[s] a card that would benefit them.

Wild Card

The Wild Cards can count as any color and score 3 points each if you can play an odd number of them (1 or 3), so they can be rather valuable: however, an even number of Wild Cards means that your nest is less desirable (instincts and nature and all kiss) and score 0 points each.

The Wild Cards allow for there to be a little more "tension" in the game in the sense that a player could gamble and pass a WC to another player who has already played a WC in the first round to try to get them out of 3 points (which is the highest point total you can score on any one card). It adds a little bit of passive-aggressive actions and also makes the game a little more interesting - and less a foregone conclusion if the first phase was rather high scoring for one player.

So that is Wren's Nest.

BGG Entry Page

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry is now posted - version 1 pdf is available for download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.