Popular Tags: [View All]
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We seem to have a lot of UK residents here, so I'm wondering how you plan to vote in the upcoming election.

I think you have no good choices, if I were there I would probably reluctantly vote Conservative. Of course I don't really study UK politics as closely as US and I might feel differently if I were really in it.

I thought of posting a poll, but responses would be hard to disaggregate, so I'm interested in individual views instead. Do you expect to vote Conservative, Labour, or other? And if Other, are you voting for a candidate who might actually win in your constituency, or just a protest vote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll probably be voting Labour (usually go SNP, but I'm South of the border for this one). Consitutency was contested between Labour and Lib Dems in 2010, Labour winning with 17000 votes to the Lib Dem's 12000 (Conservatives scraped a measly 6000). Swing was towards the Lib Dems at that point though I'm expecting their vote to collapse this year (which judging from previous results will see the Lib Dems and Conservatives trade places).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I'll get your thread going.

Ukip (yes I'm serious) or Tory depending on how I feel on the day.

Don't worry though my dump is 55% labour... So much for every vote counting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll likely vote lib dems (assuming I get my postal vote sorted in time). Though I don't consider it a protest vote, since it's the party I'd most like in power. If protest votes were only votes for parties unlikely to win, Labour and Tory votes would be protest votes in many parts of the country.

Surprisingly, the constituency I'd vote in is a marginal this time (4th most marginal apparently).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's a sair fecht fur a hauf loaf.
badge
Furry boots?
mbmbmbmbmb
SNP for me.
There are indications of a landslide for the SNP in Scotland.
A large block of SNP MPs in the Westminster government will certainly shake things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vote Silly. You know it makes sense.

Having said that, this year I be mostly votin' Yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
I'll likely vote lib dems (assuming I get my postal vote sorted in time). Though I don't consider it a protest vote, since it's the party I'd most like in power.

Same for me - although I will be voting in person, I have voted Libdem ever since I've had the vote. Never had a candidate I've voted for, either in national or local elections, win.

For me I identify most strongly with the social liberal wing of the party, the so called Beveridge Group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably vote Green, on the basis that it's the party with policies I most strongly agree with. It will make no difference to the result in my constituency however! The current MP is LibDem with a large majority over the Tories, with SNP and Labour trailing way behind.

I voted LibDem last time mainly to ensure the Tories didn't get in, but having got someone who invariably sided with the government, I can't see the point, so 'protest vote' it is.

Having said that, someone recently pointed out that if people never voted for who they actually wanted and always voted tactically between the two main parties at the time, we'd still be deciding between Liberals and Conservatives (or even Whigs and Tories). So at some point you have to bite the bullet.

Of the many dysfunctional features of the UK electoral system, the lack of anything resembling proportional representation is the most glaring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll vote for whoever I think can keep the Conservatives and most especially UKIP, out of power - the former, broadly for the reasons outlined by CassetteBoy here (NSFW), the latter, not because they're racist bigots, but because they are incompetent idiots with simplistic, unworkable solutions, and half-baked "policies" driven by a toxic combination of fear and pompous self-regard.

So, likely the Lib-Dems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Green or spoil my ballot paper. I'm in a safe Labour seat so my vote is meaningless; the only question is what is the best way of registering disatisfaction with the voting system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
they are incompetent idiots with simplistic, unworkable solutions, and half-baked "policies" driven by a toxic combination of fear and pompous self-regard.

Sorry where you talking about ukip or every party? No one has any decent policies thanks to the five year government turnover. Every party is short termist and has ineffectual policies for a better country long term.

It's Keynesian politics, one party does something for the next to tear it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scott3387 wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
they are incompetent idiots with simplistic, unworkable solutions, and half-baked "policies" driven by a toxic combination of fear and pompous self-regard.

Sorry where you talking about ukip or every party? No one has any decent policies thanks to the five year government turnover. Every party is short termist and has ineffectual policies for a better country long term.

It's Keynesian politics, one party does something for the next to tear it down.

UKIP. The other parties are indeed short-termist, and indeed that is a flaw in our governmental system, but electing a group of people who suffer acutely from the English lower middle-class disease of all-consuming, overweening self-interest is a worse scenario than any other, in my opinion. They're not likely to form a government, of course, but where I live they have a slim chance of getting in, and I will do everything in my power (limited as it is) to stop that.

Voting for a party simply because they're "different" is perverse, and will produce unintended consequneces, in my estimation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:

Of the many dysfunctional features of the UK electoral system, the lack of anything resembling proportional representation is the most glaring.

Well, we had the chance five years ago. But noooo, we're all too stupid to be trusted with ballot papers

Stirlingmoomoo wrote:
SNP for me.
A large block of SNP MPs in the Westminster government will certainly shake things up a bit.

Given they're predicting a hung parliament I suspect the interesting question will be who they'd ally with. Con/UKIP coalition vs SNP/Lab/Green seems the most likely outcome, with the LD as a wildcard (assuming they muster enough seats anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's a sair fecht fur a hauf loaf.
badge
Furry boots?
mbmbmbmbmb
Archonsod wrote:

Stirlingmoomoo wrote:
SNP for me.

Given they're predicting a hung parliament I suspect the interesting question will be who they'd ally with. Con/UKIP coalition vs SNP/Lab/Green seems the most likely outcome, with the LD as a wildcard (assuming they muster enough seats anyway).

It is, certainly, going to be a very interesting election.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really sure, they are just such an odious lot.

It really is a toss up between labour (less likely to fuck up people I know), UKIP (at least we can get the European thing over and done with, problem is they will fuck up the aforementioned people) and the BNP (just to piss people off, I really get pissed at the undemocratic way they are treated).

I cannot vote Torry (I know they will fuck up the people I know) or the liberal (I trust them rather less then any of the other parties, I really believe they have zero integrity).

As for the rest, I cannot see anything worth voting for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campbell
United Kingdom
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of them are just self-interested f*ckwits.

Perhaps if we built a gallows in Parliament Square and had a real 'hung parliament' then it might act as a reminder as to whose interests they're meant to represent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil68 wrote:

Perhaps if we built a gallows in Parliament Square and had a real 'hung parliament' then it might act as a reminder as to whose interests they're meant to represent?
Hyperbole aside I have long argued that an election pledge should be a legally binding promise, and if you break it you should be automatically deselected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phil68 wrote:

Probably quicker and easier to just make their annual pay-rise ballot a public referendum.

slatersteven wrote:
Hyperbole aside I have long argued that an election pledge should be a legally binding promise, and if you break it you should be automatically deselected.

The only problem with that would be when circumstances change between making the pledge and being elected, thus rendering the pledge impossible. Although aren't they trying to bring in legislation that allows a sitting MP to be recalled via a no confidence vote in their constituency?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archonsod wrote:
Phil68 wrote:

Probably quicker and easier to just make their annual pay-rise ballot a public referendum.

slatersteven wrote:

The only problem with that would be when circumstances change between making the pledge and being elected, thus rendering the pledge impossible. Although aren't they trying to bring in legislation that allows a sitting MP to be recalled via a no confidence vote in their constituency?
That is what elections a for, a chance to explain why you changed your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
UKIP (at least we can get the European thing over and done with,

How will it get the European thing over and done with?

There is no sure winner in an EU referendum that I can see.

A recent poll shows 45% in favour of remaining in the EU, 35% against (without Northern Ireland being polled) with a load of don't knows.

A UKIP government that holds a referendum on EU membership, and loses (the people decide to remain members) would be even more of a disaster than my worst fears.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
UKIP (at least we can get the European thing over and done with,

How will it get the European thing over and done with?

There is no sure winner in an EU referendum that I can see.

A recent poll shows 45% in favour of remaining in the EU, 35% against (without Northern Ireland being polled) with a load of don't knows.

A UKIP government that holds a referendum on EU membership, and loses (the people decide to remain members) would be even more of a disaster than my worst fears.
Because we will have had the vote many are asking for. Once we have had the vote they will have to shut up about asking for a vote for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Likely reluctant conservative although I'm new to the electorate (Essex side of the London-Essex border) and know little about the candidates here. Its a pretty affluent area so presumably Tories have a lock anyway.

The essential differences between Labor and the Tories are relatively fine at least in relation to the issues I most care about. But I don't think Labor has done enough to deserve government after their previous disaster and their leadership is extremely unimpressive.

UKIP are a one issue protest party whose issue is fairly nonsensical to me as an Australian. Their base is mainly that segment of society who is doing it tough for a whole lot of reasons that don't depend on whether the UK remains part of Europe or not. And Farage is just horrible.

I could vote for the Liberal Democrats. In terms of social issues they are probably closest to my own views. Their economic proposals on the other hand seem idealogically driven and I think they are due an absolute hiding this time around.

I don't really see the Greens as a real political party. They exist to try and maintain their specific issues in the political arena and don't even really bother to have a credible position overall. My wife doesn't mind this and often votes Green (presumably she will this time) but it doesn't work for me.

But overall I don't think much changes whether its a Tory or Labor led government. Their respective positions are finely calibrated to attract as much of the undecided vote as they can so they each end up in the middle by definition. Their are radicals on each side but their leaders keep them mostly in check. What I would not like to see is UKIP holding the balance of power either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Phil68 wrote:

How you would go about setting up this kind of system aside all you would achieve is politicians making only the most general pledges. And what if a pledge makes sense at the time but circumstances change such that its the absolute wrong thing to do? No thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Phil68 wrote:

How you would go about setting up this kind of system aside all you would achieve is politicians making only the most general pledges. And what if a pledge makes sense at the time but circumstances change such that its the absolute wrong thing to do? No thanks.
Then you get the liars you deserve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
myopia wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Phil68 wrote:

Then you get the liars you deserve.

Thats pretty snarky Steven. I don't think your idea is practical so I deserve lying politicians?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.