Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"If a nation has occupied a region exclusively, tax chips of other nations are removed without being replaced. As soon as one of its ten tax chips is available again, the nation may place it in this empty region."

What does this mean exactly (without being replaced)?

At what point in time would you place a freed up tax chip on a space that would have allowed one if you had one free at the time? Immediately? On your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not at home and cannot check directly. However, each nation only has so many markers (and armies and fleets). If you extend your control over more territories than you have markers, then you cannot put a tax marker there. However you remove any other tax markers. If you later lose another territory and thus have a tax marker, then you are allowed to go ahead and use it in any controlled territory without one.

Remember, you do NOT place tax markers in home territories of any player nations. You can occupy player nation home spaces and can prevent their factories from producing this way (and you can even spend three armies to destroy a factory).

Something that may not be obvious to everyone. You will get a positive advance on the bottom track every time you do taxation - even if your tax is lower than the previous time - you will just get a smaller bump on the track. (Unless you get no tax!!)

DragonCat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but say I've played all 10 of my tax chips and get an 11th territory. Obviously I do not place a chip. Now say you knock one of my other tax chips off. Do I ever get to use this freed up tax chip on a territory of mine that didn't get one that should? Do I get it immediately? DO I get it on my turn? Do I have to completely leave and re-enter the space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
"If a nation has occupied a region exclusively, tax chips of other nations are removed without being replaced."

What does this mean exactly (without being replaced)?

In the paragraph preceeding this quote, it was noted that "the previous tax chip is removed and replaced by a tax chip of the present nation." Since the third paragraph refers to situations where a nation has (all) ten chips on the board, it is contrasting the prior situation.

Perhaps a clearer phrasing would be "If a nation has occupied a region exclusively, tax chips of other nations are removed without being replaced by the present nation's tax chip.

Regarding the other issue...

ekted wrote:
"As soon as one of its ten tax chips is available again, the nation may place it in this empty region."

At what point in time would you place a freed up tax chip on a space that would have allowed one if you had one free at the time? Immediately? On your turn?

I take "as soon as" to be immediately. I don't see ambiguity here.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Greg. Thanks for clarifying further.

Basically - at any moment that a country finds itself in sole possession of a territory and it has a tax chip to place - place it. If a country has a space and no spare tax chip - as soon as one is available it may be placed.

The idea is that you cannot exceed 10 tax chips - but you don't get penalized if the exact ones you happen to mark changes. Think of them as all having tax chips and the ones over 10 don't count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mind boggles at the idea any nation might be able to place more than ten. For most nations it would be almost an impossibility; I supppose in a three-player game Russia's controller might be able to manage it with a bot of assistance, but from a nation like GB it would be almost unthinkable IMO.

OK, my experience is limited, but we've not yet seen more than 5 tax chips placed, and they didn't last too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed - but you never know what group think can make happen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it back - we'd missed the rule that tax chips could be placed in sea areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question:

"Home provinces of foreign nations cannot be assigned tax chips."

Look at this image from the publisher's site:

There is a German tax chip on Russia. Is this just an error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, sorry for that, it's an error.

However, on the backside of the german box it's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is also unlikely that so many nations have made a few steps along the victory point track, yet have *absolutely nothing* on the board.

Just goes to show, these shots are often set up by photographers as examples of the game "in progress" without thought as to the exact rules of play. There are many examples of such errors - including some photographs I took of Perikles, having just thrown a few counters at the board to illustrate what the game looks like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I just wanted to make sure my understanding of "home provinces" was correct. When I first read it in the rules, I thought it might mean the spaces that got starting factories only, but the rest of the rules implied otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Norman
United Kingdom
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
Basically - at any moment that a country finds itself in sole possession of a territory and it has a tax chip to place - place it. If a country has a space and no spare tax chip - as soon as one is available it may be placed.

This came up in our game today, and a question came up. By the time the power in question had freed up a tax chip, the province which he had been forced to leave vacant of a tax chip had a fleet from another power also in the province. At this point, is he allowed to place the freed tax chip into this province, or is it too late since he is no longer the only power present in the province?

David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting case - and I am very surprised that it happened.

However, if you follow the reasoning I used earlier
Quote:
The idea is that you cannot exceed 10 tax chips - but you don't get penalized if the exact ones you happen to mark changes. Think of them as all having tax chips and the ones over 10 don't count.

then you would be able to place the tax chip.

However, this is not an official ruling - we will have to wait for Max.

However, it makes sense - you DO own the space. You just are not allowed to tax more than 10 spaces at a time.

To make it even more interesting - what if they move in and attack - thus leaving NO units in the space.

This should be rare enough not to really be a problem - but I would rule that you get to place the tax chip - in either of the cases mentioned above (with or without attack). You earned control of the space and should not be penalized for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hi,
I'm still confused about this tax thing.
Imagine i control the German government, can i put tax chips in german territory (as long as there's no other army)? Or are the tax chips only to be used in neutral countries (besides Switzerland)?

Thanks,
Luis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tax Chips never go in home countries. Ever. Never ever.

Tax Chips only go in neutral provices and sea provinces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.