Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy yesterday, and after spending far too long trying to get the tiles out of their sheets, I decided that I would take up even more time to get the game ready to play and paint all the figures before my first go at the game. I must be really bad at this or something, 'cause it's taking quite awhile.

In any event, I'm just going with a relatively simple paint scheme for each one, with the main article of clothing for each figure a different color (knight = red, barbarian = orange, dwarf = yellow, thief = green, amazon = blue, and wizard = purple), and I'll paint the outer rim of their bases that color, too.

I have five of the six hero figures almost done (touch-up, the rims of the bases, and the figure's skins [save the barbarian, which I did a different flesh tone; no extra meaning ascribed to that] are all that I have left to do); I haven't started on the wizard or the dragon yet. I guess that will be tomorrow's project.

I'll post picture when I'm done, but I was just wondering if anyone else had undertaken a painting project yet for the figures and what you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been numerous people who have done amazing paint jobs on their Descent minis who have posted them on the FFG forums:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?boar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I finished, but my stupid camera is not able to focus this morning for some reason, so no pictures for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, here's some pictures. Most turned out alright, but some are fuzzy. I'm no photographer.

Spread:

Amazon:

Barbarian:

Dwarf:

Knight:

Thief:

Wizard:

Drakon:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I submit any of those to the database (maybe retake a few?)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may give them a spray of some kind of protective coating once they dry fully... but what is "dipping?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. The results are pretty compelling, but that sounds a helluva lot scarier than just painting them. I'd have to chip everything off and start over if I didn't like the end result. At least paint can be painted over. :-/

Were I to do it, do I just brush / dip it on evenly, or do I try to get "more" stuff in the "darker" places? What would it do to the overall colors... particularly the things like the gold, silver, and white parts? Would the metals still be shiny? I think I like the idea of what it might do to the "boney" parts of the dragon figure... but what about the dwarf's white beard, would it turn brown?

I'll definitely consider it, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what color stain do I use? The "tudor"? Or should I use a lighter shade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't actually paint the figures, but I did "wash" them. They are posted on the Drakon 3 page right now. I was too lazy to paint them, and "washing" them seemed to be the answer for a quick new look to bring out some detail. The dragon turned out particularly well I think- I did paint the gold coins around the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and did the stain trick, using Minwax "Antique Walnut."

I have mixed reactions.

Pro:
-The figures are even more "uniform" as a set now
-The satin finish is going to be much nicer
-The shading worked for the most part

Con:
-Most of my original paint was enamel; some thinned
-The stain was much too thin and puddled some
-As expected, the white is a bit muddy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're looking considerably better (less muddy) as they dry.

I think I'll be pleased with the overall effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not sure how I feel about them... but here's the end result.

They don't look as blotchy in person. I think the less guady, less glossy effect fits in better with the overall look and feel of the game. I may just go back in and whiten up some of those whites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaceyet hired me to paint the set for him. I found the figures a bit more challenging than most I paint. The figures were pretty detailed for their scale, however a lot of times the details were not very well defined. That slowed things down a bit as I tried to figure out how to paint them effectively. In all it took about three hours per figure.

I posted them to BGG, they are up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.