5 Posts

XCOM: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Threat Level During Base and Mission Defence rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Baglo
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello everyone. I just got this game and have played two times and was wondering if I'm doing something wrong. The way we've been doing the base defence is increasing the threat level each time a reroll is needed to defeat an enemy. If an enemy is successfully killed then we don't increase the threat for that roll. Is this correct? Or are we supposed to be increasing the threat every single time we roll regardless of if an enemy dies? If it's the latter then I'm starting to feel ultra scared at how to even accomplish anything in this game.

Example of how we've been playing:

On the base are three aliens. One requiring one success, one requiring two and one requiring three. I roll once against the alien that requires one success and I accomplish it removing him from the board as salvage. I do not increase the threat level since I'm not rerolling dice to complete the task. I move on to alien #2 and I get one success and a 2 on the threat die. I then increase the threat level to two. . . and so on and so on.

Should the threat level have increased after resolving that first roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Paroni
United States
California
flag msg tools
Threat goes up after rolling dice, regardless of any result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BonJaglo wrote:
If it's the latter then I'm starting to feel ultra scared at how to even accomplish anything in this game.

One of the major parts of this game is researching techs to help you mitigate the dice rolls. Left only to the dice rolling we don't stand a chance, but there are many techs that grant you automatic successes if you pay a certain cost. Go after those early and often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus you do not need to kill every attacker every time. In your example, I would go after the 1+2 success and left the 3 success alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aliens in the base don't stick around, unlike UFOs. They do their damage once then leave. So often you might just leave the largest enemy alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.