Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Harbour and the first thing that I really liked about it was the size of the package and how all the components are arranged in it.

Small package and everything is neatly packed inside and no extra space.

So many games I have the package is so much larger then the components and take extra space on the shelves that I reached the point where space is an issue.

Many of my fellow gamers (and myself) buy less games not because of financial issues or that we have too many games or that we don't have time to play as much as we want. It is simply the fact that we don't have shelves space and even if we want to buy new games we just can't and first we need to sell a game or two.

If most of the game were like Harbour then I guess I'd be able to buy probably twice the games I have now and it would help the gaming companies to sell more games. However I am aware to the fact that most people when buying a game and paying X$ expect a certain box size or they won't buy the game otherwise, but sometimes the ratio between the components and the box size is ridiculous.

Bottom line: I wish more games were like Harbour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two of FFG's Silver line games (the small box Red November, and Space Hulk: Death Angel) and I love how much gets packed in a small box that is made to fit the game.

The only other games I have that are packed that tight are base game boxes with all expansions in them (TI3, Elder Sign, a couple of others, Marvel Legendary).

I just get a bit tired of how much empty air is on my shelf. Its fine when the game is expecting expansions and I want to fit it in the main box but if each box was made to fit what comes in it, Having the base box and expansion box on the shelf wouldn't be that big of a deal since neither would take up that much room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Touchfuzzy wrote:
I have two of FFG's Silver line games (the small box Red November, and Space Hulk: Death Angel) and I love how much gets packed in a small box that is made to fit the game.

The only other games I have that are packed that tight are base game boxes with all expansions in them (TI3, Elder Sign, a couple of others, Marvel Legendary).

I just get a bit tired of how much empty air is on my shelf. Its fine when the game is expecting expansions and I want to fit it in the main box but if each box was made to fit what comes in it, Having the base box and expansion box on the shelf wouldn't be that big of a deal since neither would take up that much room.

Personally, I'd rather not have different boxes for every expansion, so I like base games that leave a little extra room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
The bigger the box the more spectacular it looks on your shelf and therefore you gain greater interest from your visiting parents who think you are doing really well for yourself being able to afford huge creations when in fact it is just Pathfinder the Card Game and the box only contains some cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
The bigger the box the more spectacular it looks on your shelf

. . . and on the game store's shelf. That's part of the reason game boxes have big flat fronts. Cereal boxes do that same thing in order to draw more customers' attention.

I'll agree with the concept that smaller is better. That said, don't hesitate to trash inserts and throw the expansions into the bigger boxes. I have a plastic clamshell box that holds four magazine wargames because it's easier than keeping them separate.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping the consequences of everything going online means smaller boxes in the future.

grendelsbayne wrote:
Touchfuzzy wrote:

Personally, I'd rather not have different boxes for every expansion, so I like base games that leave a little extra room.

I would rather the expansion box be larger to hold the base game in it so that those of us who don't tend to buy expansions aren't stuck with an oversized box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I'm hoping the consequences of everything going online means smaller boxes in the future.

grendelsbayne wrote:
Touchfuzzy wrote:

I would rather the expansion box be larger to hold the base game in it so that those of us who don't tend to buy expansions aren't stuck with an oversized box.

I'd be fine with that, too, although it would probably be tricky to pull off for games which get different expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Caldwell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really surprised when I opened the Diamonsters box at how much space there was in it... or rather... how little stuff was in it. I immediately thought, hmmmm, they must be planning an expansion already. Not that the box is big, I guess. Just relative to the space needed for the components.

Overall box size doesn't matter that much too me. I'd rather it be functional than cool though. The best example of that I can think of is Lords of Waterdeep. I hated that box because I couldn't set the base in the lid during play. I've since switched all of the components to the Scoundrels of Skullport expansion box and just tossed the original. Hated throwing it out, but there's no sense in keeping everything separated and no sense in putting an empty box on my shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chaon
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a game and this is one of the things I have to consider.

I am planning to make the box bigger, specifically for expansions. It may not need the room right away... but in the case that I am able to put out 4 or 5 expansions for it, the owner should be able to have space for them.

Also, there are a few unofficial game box dimensions that make your game look nice with other games in your collection, so there is that to consider as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my boxes full of air is a blessing in disguise. whistle

I have a limited space on a 2x4 Expedit shelf that I can use to store my board games. Right now it's 90% full and it makes me think critically about acquiring more games.

My wallet benefits from all those air taking up space. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My ideal box size would be the height of heroscape/monopoly box laid flat but the length and height of an expedit square.

The most annoying boxes are those half boxes that are the thickness of two "standard" board game boxes. ie Stone Age, Scoville, Alhambra, Keyflower, Redacted, Ancient Terrible Things etc. There is so much space behind them that is not taken up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick G
South Africa
flag msg tools
mb
This is always a strange problem for me, when I put down some hefty money for a game, I expect a big box with lots of stuff. However, after a week or two, the big box just takes up space as trying to store something is a task in its own. And I hate space stealer's! Quite a predicament . Just got Star Trek Attack wing starter kit and they packed that box so tightly it is amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I love those FFG silver line box sizes. I see a lot more companies are using them too. That is a trend I can get behind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a second . . . the boxes that I have been buying have GAMES in them????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Denby
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
And I'll form the Head!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeven wrote:
I am working on a game and this is one of the things I have to consider.

I am planning to make the box bigger, specifically for expansions. It may not need the room right away... but in the case that I am able to put out 4 or 5 expansions for it, the owner should be able to have space for them.

Also, there are a few unofficial game box dimensions that make your game look nice with other games in your collection, so there is that to consider as well.

My two cents, if this is your first game design don't build it with the plan to make expansions. Make your game as great as can be and worry about expanding it if it is a success. If it's not, then onto the next great game that isn't left half a game because it didn't get an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the publisher should be called Whole Lotta Space Cowboys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Maybe the publisher should be called Whole Lotta Space Cowboys.

That is a crime. Guess they have to justify the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chaon
United States
Cottage Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukedenby wrote:

My two cents, if this is your first game design don't build it with the plan to make expansions. Make your game as great as can be and worry about expanding it if it is a success. If it's not, then onto the next great game that isn't left half a game because it didn't get an expansion.

A valid point. I am shooting for it to be my first published game.

My game was not developed with expansion in mind... however, through play testing, similar thoughts for thematic expansions came up in each group. After playing around with the idea, I found that it would be a great fit for the game. But core game comes first! For now the expansions will be waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
That is a crime. Guess they have to justify the price.

Or maybe they are leaving space for half-a-dozen expansions?? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've cut up and remade a few of my games boxes for better component fitting. Merged some of the expansions into the main boxes similarly.

Turned out to be fun projects!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have often been grateful for expansive game boxes because I have been known to trick out my games with extra material. When my super-sized component upgrades still fit in the box, I'm happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Spence
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am like others...I like a little extra room in the base game box or even an expansion so all the components can fit. For instance Pandemic: One the Brink is like that I can keep everything in the one box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brycespence wrote:
I am like others...I like a little extra room in the base game box or even an expansion so all the components can fit. For instance Pandemic: One the Brink is like that I can keep everything in the one box...

The Pandemic boxes are near perfect in that they are designed to fit the game and all the expansions (a bit of problems with all boards + the pad in height, but it works. I'm hoping the new expansion comes with a new insert that fits all the old stuff plus itself.

I think Pandemic probably has one of the best inserts in any game. (Takenoko being another one with an excellent insert).

I don't mind boxes that are a bit larger if they use an insert made to conveniently and properly store the game, but when I pull out the entire insert because its terrible, and bagged up the box is about a third full, it gets ridiculous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Cheney
United Kingdom
derby
derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just bought the Machi Koro Harbour expansion, the box was so big compared to what you get inside I transferred the whole game into the expansion box- and it could still be half the size.

Just imagine if all games fitted neatly in their boxes how many more games we could own, how much cheaper they would be and how many more I could carry to my games nights, not even considering the trees here.

P.S Splendor looks silly In a small margarine tub which fits it perfectly. I think it's time to be confident about the quality of the game being sold and sell boxes to fit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my Splendor Retheme fitting inside a FFG silver line box

At this size it has seen so much more play because of how easy it is to travel with. I'd be more inclined to give board games as a gift if they weren't so big. Space is a definite premium among my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.