Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: reference [+] ah [+] [View All]
Michael Matson
United States
Columbus
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran across the post below while searching for something else. Thought some of you veteran grognards would enjoy the read as I did. Do you remember your feelings when you heard AH was going out of business?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.board/E-Bx...

(Go to the post by "Yo Beowulf"(Bill Levay) at the top of the postings and click on it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great thread. I think maybe I even read it when it first appeared. I don't think I had any feelings when AH was going under. I was post University then, and the gaming I was doing was mostly D&D related. I figured computers were the future. It's funny how thing have taken a turn to the analog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
From 2008, but still feel pretty much the same as ever:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/318199/cocreating-dreams-and...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Beaudway
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss AH and The General. I'll never get rid of my Generals. Now I'm nostalgic and sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
I don't think I had any feelings when AH was going under.

I certainly had feelings. I'd been an AH General subscriber for more than two decades and AH games had been an important part of my life. I'd seen SPI going down as the end of an era, and AH going down was like covering the grave. I'm glad that board wargaming has survived and even flourished since, but at the time it was very depressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Dal Bello
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often check where people are located in case they are close enough for a face-to-face...

The first three posts...

equestriancdr...Columbia, MD
MikeOberly......Columbus, OH
West2 ..........Columbia, SC

Col-incidence?

(not close enough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joeseph McCarthy
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When Avalon Hill went under I was still pissed about the way they decided to not consolidate the rules of Squad Leader, but instead scrap the whole project and go with ASL. This is in addition to squashing groups like Wild Bill's Raiders who tried to consolidate Squad Leader on their own. Needless to say there was little love lost.

Mogadeet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First several wargames were all AH. I never got into Amoeba Wars though. While I figured it had some things going for it (for example, taking up only a very, very tiny bit of table space)I felt that I wouldn't be able to see the pieces very well and that they would be too easy to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwquinn wrote:
First several wargames were all AH. I never got into Amoeba Wars though. While I figured it had some things going for it (for example, taking up only a very, very tiny bit of table space)I felt that I wouldn't be able to see the pieces very well and that they would be too easy to lose.

You must have been looking at the Collector's Edition. The mass market version used counters instead of actual amoebas. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I saw anyone from AH was at an E3 conference in L.A. AH had just started publishing computer wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
equestriancdr wrote:
Ran across the post below while searching for something else. Thought some of you veteran grognards would enjoy the read as I did. Do you remember your feelings when you heard AH was going out of business?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.board/E-Bx...

(Go to the post by "Yo Beowulf"(Bill Levay) at the top of the postings and click on it.)

That thread reminds me of all the games that got me going on the board game kick, Civilization, Axis & Allies, Diplomacy, Risk, sigh. Not as many people to play these with any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall being stunned and saddened when Avalon Hill went away. I remember thinking my gaming days might be over.

About that same time I discovered Rio Grande Games, which at the time was importing games from Europe and translating them. That kept my gaming alive, though it certainly shifted my focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really angry when AH went under. I had just got my first real job teaching in Maryland and finally had some disposal income...and they slammed the doors shut just as I approached with my fistful of dollars!!!!
soblue

However, that same job got me into the web where I discovered GMT and other companies so it became "The worst of times and the best of times"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mogadeet wrote:
When Avalon Hill went under I was still pissed about the way they decided to not consolidate the rules of Squad Leader, but instead scrap the whole project and go with ASL.

Well, they sort of did consolidate all the rules. Bob Medrow's "Getting It All Together" article in The General 20-4 set out a consolidated rules proposal by specifying which rules to use from each module.

I used Medrow's article to build a consolidated "cut-and-paste" rulebook from photocopies of the original rules. I should go back and re-do that in PDF form, now that I think about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
MikeOberly wrote:
I don't think I had any feelings when AH was going under.

I certainly had feelings. I'd been an AH General subscriber for more than two decades and AH games had been an important part of my life. I'd seen SPI going down as the end of an era, and AH going down was like covering the grave. I'm glad that board wargaming has survived and even flourished since, but at the time it was very depressing.

There was a feeling akin to one felt from a death in the family circle. I made one last call to order some things during their close-out... thanking them for their years of excellent service. The days of bookcase sized shipping boxes, which varied only by depth, would be no more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Travers
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I used Medrow's article to build a consolidated "cut-and-paste" rulebook from photocopies of the original rules. I should go back and re-do that in PDF form, now that I think about it...

Maverick,

I did not have the General article, but did do the photocopy cut and paste thing you did. Just so you don't feel alone

I may actually still have it somewhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sztrave wrote:
Quote:

Maverick,

I did not have the General article, but did do the photocopy cut and paste thing you did. Just so you don't feel alone

I may actually still have it somewhere...

Gents,

The work that must have gone into such endeavour I'd imagine to be considerable. I still have Squad Leader with all three expansion, plus extra map boards. With the disorganised rule books, I found by the time I got Anvil of Victory that my playing was on the decline (although there are other factors as well). As I stopped playing board games in general I could not get rid of my Squad Leader collection and still have it. Even today most of the counters from Anvil of Victory are unpunched. If you do make a PDF format, I would be very interested in acquiring a copy. Thank you for the work and effort you have put into reorganising the four rule books.

Cheers,

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Adams
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at the World Science Fiction Convention when AH's closure was announced. As coincidence would have it, the WorldCon was held in Baltimore that year.

I don't remember a lot of details -- after all, it's been over fifteen years -- but I do remember talking to some fellow AH fans about the bad news. They may have even been AH employees.

I remember a feeling of surprise, AH was just something I assumed would always be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Having bought out AH I'm really curious what sort of asset it has been for Hasbro.

I'd have thought it would have been the name and/or the games. Well, nobody mistakes AH under the Hasbro umbrella as the AH of old, in fact it makes my skin crawl every time I see the new AH logo. I suspect many of AH's old customers feel the same.

The other is the games but again what has been done with these? Most have been archived, a few have been passed on to other companies to publish under licence presumably.

I personally think it would have been better if AH had been buried with dignity rather than allowed to continue in its zombie like existence under Hasbro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Adams
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Having bought out AH I'm really curious what sort of asset it has been for Hasbro.

I remember hearing the claim the Hasbro's interest was AH's European distribution network.

It wasn't the games -- a huge seller for AH was a drop in the bucket for Hasbro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Silver
Sweden
UmeƄ
Select a State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I thought this was it for real. That wargaming by cardboard was dead. The 1990's had been pretty bad for wargaming. 3W and a lot of other companies were but pale copies of the past. SPI and GDW were gone. Avalon Hill was clearly in decline, even if they had some excellent games as well. Computer games were taking over. Stores were closing down.

At the same time some new websites had appeared that made the wargaming world so much smaller (especially from a European perspective). For me, Avalon Hill's demise led me to finally abandoning wargaming altogether for a number of years. Perhaps in the end the disappearance of Avalon Hill helped GMT and others in taking over. It is fair to conclude that the wargaming world is much different today and in most respects far better than during the depressing 1990's. It was real sad to see Avalon Hill go, but I am not sure that the wargaming scene today would have been much better if they had survived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zilver wrote:
It was real sad to see Avalon Hill go, but I am not sure that the wargaming scene today would have been much better if they had survived.

Unfortunately - and it really is unfortunate - we will never know if that is the case. No field is ever so dominated by one player, that there is not room for lots of "niche" players to spring up. Personally, I think the widespread adoption of the internet would still have enabled the modern wargaming scene; it might be different but it definitely would still be here. Who knows, perhaps even the "Best of both worlds"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.