Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2nd Edition Rulebook, Page 18, Terrain, Lava wrote:
Lava spaces are defined by a yellow line surrounding them. A figure entering a space containing lava immediately suffers one damage. Any figure that ends its turn in a lava space is immediately defeated. Heroes that are defeated in this way place their hero token in the nearest empty space (from where they were defeated) that does not contain lava.

We are playing in a PBF in which a hero was Thrown by an Ettin into a lava space, where that hero took 2 damage (one from the Throw and one from entering a lava space) but was still up. Then the Ettin attacked that hero and defeated him.

The question is, do we move that hero's token to the nearest empty non-lava space because he was defeated while occupying a lava space, or do we not move it because he was not defeated "in this way," where "this way" is given as a figure ending its turn on a lava space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvils Feldmanis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say, you move him to nearest "Safe" square!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Descent 2nd Edition Rulebook, Page 18, Terrain, Lava wrote:
Lava spaces are defined by a yellow line surrounding them. A figure entering a space containing lava immediately suffers one damage. Any figure that ends its turn in a lava space is immediately defeated. Heroes that are defeated in this way place their hero token in the nearest empty space (from where they were defeated) that does not contain lava.

We are playing in a PBF in which a hero was Thrown by an Ettin into a lava space, where that hero took 2 damage (one from the Throw and one from entering a lava space) but was still up. Then the Ettin attacked that hero and defeated him.

The question is, do we move that hero's token to the nearest empty non-lava space because he was defeated while occupying a lava space, or do we not move it because he was not defeated "in this way," where "this way" is given as a figure ending its turn on a lava space?

I brought this exact issue to the attention of FFG recently (pre-FAQ 1.5) and it was not included in those changes. Therefore, I can only assume that the intention is to play RAW here- unless you're defeated by the lava terrain, the lava terrain rule about moving the hero token doesn't apply. This does create a tough spot for the heroes (where that hero essentially must be saved by another) but it's also a rare occurrence, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's pretty clear cut it could easily have said "if you are defeated while on a lava space" but it doesn't it specifically says "Heroes that are defeated in this way" while talking about defeated BY the lava. For me it all revolves around "this way" because that specifies that they are talking about 1 situation in which a hero is defeated, there's no generalisation.

Paul's above comment regarding the FAQ just cements that to be true in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite sure you saw somewhere, that you respawn the hero on the nearest empty non-lava space. Otherwise he would wake up and die immediately with no option to get out of the mess on his own.

I do not think there is any difference if he died because he ended his movement in lava or because other creature killed him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:
I am quite sure you saw somewhere, that you respawn the hero on the nearest empty non-lava space. Otherwise he would wake up and die immediately with no option to get out of the mess on his own.

I do not think there is any difference if he died because he ended his movement in lava or because other creature killed him.

That's why it's called team work. No need to get up on your own if you've got a buddy to help you out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:

If he stood himself up, yes. Your teammates should be helping you up, though. This will give you two actions to move off of the lava.

There is a difference, and that is why this thread was opened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
... it specifically says "Heroes that are defeated in this way" while talking about defeated BY the lava.
While that is true, more confusing sentences exist in the D2e rulebook (see: Act Specific Rumors.)

I can absolutely understand a house rule that a hero being defeated in a lava space (for any reason) gets to place his hero token in the nearest empty space that's not lava- requiring another hero to enter the lava and pick the hero up (at risk of getting stuck in the same death loop as his teammate) is a high price. I just don't see any evidence from an official standpoint that suggests that RAW is not the intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.