Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Folks,

Yesterday I got my copy of this game, ordered due to I did not have any game based on the Battle of Waterloo; I do have Age of Napoleon but was looking for a more tactical than strategic game.

I've been wargaming since the 80's so the concepts covered by NaW short rules are already well known by me, and have plans to play 1 or 2 sessions this weekend...

However, I do have some questions, or better should I say some comments which I wanted to share with you, with more experience on this game:

1-The rules mention that all, some or none units of an army might move, then fire...but it applies to artillery as well? by its very nature I feel artillery should either move or fire, but not both in the same turn since it takes more effort to move an artillery battery rather than a company of infantry or a cavalry squadron...

2-About terrain it specifies no unit can enter a woods hex unless it is through a road...I read through the original battle at wikipedia and did not mention that woods were a factor in the outcome, but I think if an infantry unit wants to take a better field position should be able to enter any woods hex(maybe paying 1 extra movement point); for cavalry/artillery I can understand it, but am unsure for infantry

3-In regards again to terrain, it says an unit can enter a buildings hex with one movement point; it should not pay one EXTRA movement point? supposedly it is more difficult for a group of men to move through a building hex than a clear hex.

In the meantime for the weekend I have plan using the rules from the box(artillery moving and firing, woods hex prohibited, etc), but if can get some of your comments will appreciate it.

Regards,

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumval wrote:
1-The rules mention that all, some or none units of an army might move, then fire...but it applies to artillery as well? by its very nature I feel artillery should either move or fire

Artillery has a lower movement allowance. Consider that a turn is 1 or 2 hours of real time (by memory).

Jumval wrote:
2-About terrain it specifies no unit can enter a woods hex unless it is through a road...

This is a very basic wargame. However, each counter represents one division (again, by memory) and I don't think any commander ever committed an entire division to move into woods when enough clear space was available for moneuver.

Jumval wrote:
3-In regards again to terrain, it says an unit can enter a buildings hex with one movement point; it should not pay one EXTRA movement point? supposedly it is more difficult for a group of men to move through a building hex than a clear hex.

Don't know this one, seems like a typo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickcia wrote:
Jumval wrote:
1-The rules mention that all, some or none units of an army might move, then fire...but it applies to artillery as well? by its very nature I feel artillery should either move or fire

Artillery has a lower movement allowance. Consider that a turn is 1 or 2 hours of real time (by memory).

Jumval wrote:
2-About terrain it specifies no unit can enter a woods hex unless it is through a road...

This is a very basic wargame. However, each counter represents one division (again, by memory) and I don't think any commander ever committed an entire division to move into woods when enough clear space was available for moneuver.

Jumval wrote:

Don't know this one, seems like a typo.

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your kind comments.

In regards to artillery your point is valid, since I realized those units have as you said, a lower movement rate when compared to cavalry/infantry. Also, since they can bombard at only 1 hex range or take part in regular combat with adjacent enemy units, to keep them 'behind' the line of fire makes no sense.

In the case of terrain I forgot these units are divisions, and to squeeze a full infantry division into the woods seems a nightmare for purposes of CCC(command, communication and control).

I also suspect the 'one movement point' to enter a building hex is a typo, an extra movement point is more logic.

Thanks for your help!

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correction

It only costs 1 movement point to enter a Building Hex. Not 1 extra(for 2mp)

The typo is -one extra

Every edition of the game(and I've owned the original since 1971) only has buildings/towns as costing 1 movement point for the hex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atakan Gurkan
Turkey
Çankaya
Ankara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumval wrote:

It may be counter intuitive but I am absolutely sure that it does not cost anything extra to enter (or leave) a buildings hex (by the way, these are "towns" rather than "buildings"). The rules of NaW I have are clear on this at two distinct points. Also, in similar games such as Napoleon's Art of War: Eylau and Dresden or Borodino such hexes do not cost any extra movement points with respect to clear terrain.

cheers,
atakan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumval wrote:
In regards to artillery your point is valid, since I realized those units have as you said, a lower movement rate when compared to cavalry/infantry.

Also, consider that we're talking of Napoleonic artillery, which was very mobile. Horse artillery should probably have a movement allowance higher than infantry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:

The typo is -one extra

Of course. I don't know why I thought it could be a typo, 1 MP is plausible. The main effect of entring a town should be an alteration of the formation, but such things are not contamplated in this game.

If you want a little more realism, try Napoleon's Last Battles, another classical wargame not much harder than this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickcia wrote:
jackiesavon wrote:

The typo is -one extra

Of course. I don't know why I thought it could be a typo, 1 MP is plausible. The main effect of entring a town should be an alteration of the formation, but such things are not contamplated in this game.

If you want a little more realism, try Napoleon's Last Battles, another classical wargame not much harder than this.

Exactly it was my point, Nicola...I assumed if an infantry division entered a town hex, somehow might loose some of its formation cohesiveness due to fact the soldiers have to move through buildings and houses, not in a common pattern as if moving through clear terrain...

But agreed if the rules say just 1 MP to enter a town/building hex so let be it.

Last weekend I had 3 sessions of this nice game with the rules from the box (including 1 MP per buildings hex), and it was a good experience. Despite its small size and low counter density, it provides for different tactics and options...

Cheers,

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.