Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's off the beaten path, most certainly, but, as you can see, the city has its charms. And there's plenty of work, too, especially if you're willing to get your hands dirty.

Hey, look, no need to get testy. You've got your own reasons to make your way to the edge of the world. I get that.

It's just my job to pick out those new in town. Make sure they're in the right place. Make sure trade activity around here goes on undisturbed. You get me?

So just let me know if you've got any questions, okay? Wouldn't want you stepping on someone's tail and getting locked up on dock duty all because you couldn't figure out which way was up.

www.cephalofair.com/gloomhaven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was wondering if you were going to post a link to your site. I was waiting to do it here to see if you did.

I've been following your posts and I have to say I can't wait for this, I'm a little curious how some of it will work out. Things like the cards for attack/move but also life with losing one each time you rest. Does this last for the entire dungeon or just one fight? Is there a way to heal?

Love the idea of leveling up the town so when a character leaves and/or a new one is added they are behind but not to far behind.

Can't say enough good things about your ideas and am anxiously awaiting for more news. Of course that could be abated by the arrival of Forge War! Shouldn't be long for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it just takes a little while to get things approved around here, but I think things are finally all set up.

Losing cards is just an in-scenario mechanic. You start each scenario with your class's max hand size (selected from a larger pool of cards available to you). And there are also mechanics to recover lost cards during battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nafmi Sanichar - van Herwijnen
Netherlands
Weesp
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude!

Just started reading your blog on the designproces and I have to say I'm more than impressed. I am unlike you a lover of dice, but I love your devotion to the whole notion of no dice. And I know a few friends of mine who share your feelings. I am all aboard for this one.

I'm personally hoping to try out Forgewar at Spiele or at a friend of mine (who did back) because I'm afraid that one might be to heavy for me.

But all in all stoked! And I can't wait to see what this will look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Yeah, it just takes a little while to get things approved around here, but I think things are finally all set up.

Losing cards is just an in-scenario mechanic. You start each scenario with your class's max hand size (selected from a larger pool of cards available to you). And there are also mechanics to recover lost cards during battle.

Defintely interesting, sounds a little like the Pathfinder card game with some interesting differences.

Approx. how long does one secanrio take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In play tests, we usually go about 30 minutes per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Franklin
United States
Clinton
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell you how excited I am for more info on this game! If you're able to accomplish all the things you've set out for according to your blog, this could be the closest thing I've ever seen to a PERFECT game (at least to me). Thank you for being you, Isaac!

Also, any more news on when the boats are rolling in for Forge Wars? Really excited to get that to the table. I've had my gaming group salivating for quite awhile, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
So is this going to be closer to a Mage Knight or a Pathfinder?

Also, with minis involved any idea on the price point yet? The presence or lack of anything exclusive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, let's see. I'd say it's similar to Pathfinder in its episodic nature and the mechanics of carrying over improved cards from adventure to adventure. The card mechanics probably more closely resemble Mage Knight, in that you are playing through a hand of cards that all do different things for you (move, attack, etc.) and you have to figure out the best way to play them. That said, though, there are no draw decks. You have access to all your cards at the beginning of each battle (8-12 cards depending on your class), so there's almost no randomness to what cards you have access to at any given time.

I haven't started talking to manufacturers yet, so I don't have an answer on the price point, but I don't foresee offering any exclusives during the Kickstarter. Not my style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Hmm, let's see. I'd say it's similar to Pathfinder in its episodic nature and the mechanics of carrying over improved cards from adventure to adventure. The card mechanics probably more closely resemble Mage Knight, in that you are playing through a hand of cards that all do different things for you (move, attack, etc.) and you have to figure out the best way to play them. That said, though, there are no draw decks. You have access to all your cards at the beginning of each battle (8-12 cards depending on your class), so there's almost no randomness to what cards you have access to at any given time.

I haven't started talking to manufacturers yet, so I don't have an answer on the price point, but I don't foresee offering any exclusives during the Kickstarter. Not my style.

Hmm, interesting. Color me intrigued for the moment. The lack of exclusives being the case I'll ask my usual question: what is the motivation for backing as opposed to picking it up later from say Amazon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SomewhatDamaged wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:

Hmm, interesting. Color me intrigued for the moment. The lack of exclusives being the case I'll ask my usual question: what is the motivation for backing as opposed to picking it up later from say Amazon?

Hey, I understand that some people will only get behind a project if they can get exclusives. That's totally cool.

For me, though, Kickstarter is about building a community who can watch and influence how a game develops over time. There's also the significant discount off the MSRP if you're into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as a backer of Forge War among others I'd hardly call myself an 'exclusive only' guy. But I do feel that backers deserve something for getting involved with the perils of kickstarter. Which you answer nicely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dringautzki
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
My Blog - Shades Of Boardgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
SomewhatDamaged wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:

Hey, I understand that some people will only get behind a project if they can get exclusives. That's totally cool.

For me, though, Kickstarter is about building a community who can watch and influence how a game develops over time. There's also the significant discount off the MSRP if you're into that.

Hi,
I am new to this show, where is the tavern with the public conversation? Actually I find it good that people have the possibility to create their games if they get enough support. But a lot of people are accustomed to specific standards in the gaming industry. This is pretty hard to manage for a new "born" and so most of them focus on getting a good quality in the game before they think about extras. Still everyone loves to see exclusive offers and it seems to be something people do expect. I can only say if the product does not convince you, do not back it. I will give you a quick example. I did not back a kickstarter and after the KS I got more and more interested. I never got hold of game except via expensive and/or complicate ways. Since then I decide twice if backing would not be the better option to just get it delivered to your doorstep and be sure of that. In addition I can assure you once you are part of the community and see a game change after your idea your put into the community, this is more than every wooden token can give you.

Ok I just getting into to much text, but I totally love supporting games or creation of games. Sometimes sadly my budget cuts me off of crowdfunding. Still support games you seem to like every bit helps and it's far from easy managing a campaign from idea til shipping of the final product. I stay tuned here and see what comes around.

See you,
Peat

PS. Love the introduction steps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nafmi Sanichar - van Herwijnen
Netherlands
Weesp
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:

Totally down with your sentiments on this, I always get really annoyed (not pointing any fingers) when people start asking (sometimes demanding) exclusives when it should be all about supporting the original project.

If budget allows me and the project lives up to what your ideas seem to indicate, I will fully support it.

Keeping my eye on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think if you "exclusive" be involed in the game that should be enough. Dont you think?

E.g. I have named a(quest)card - pretty happy. That gives me more than an extra mini / card. Or even the process that I throw in some Ideas of for Titels / quests.

Also some people got titels or some of them also pictures.

So exlcusive in this way is WAY MORE SATISFYING than extra stuff, again, dont you think ?

See on the other hand, if you missed the chance to back, you will be sad that you dont got the extra "5-cards-of-something" or the extra character (e.g. Zombiecide), or you will pay a huge amount for this (I think 1 zombicide figure hits the 150 $ from the first seasson?)

So I am pretty sure Issac will do a way better job than in Forge War (which was by far my best KS campaigne)

See you around

Edit: I missed that someone just asked if there is any exclusive stuff - correction here

ninja in and ninja out

Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good grief, since when is asking if there will be any the same as asking that there be some?

Blah, I for one am not going to highjack this thread for yet another debate on exclusives. I'm glad you all find the value that you find. I simply asked what the creator considered to be the value he offered to backers in exchange for startup money for an unknown entity. I ask every project creator that same question when I'm interested in a project. It can tell you a lot.

Stefan, if you would like to debate this in a more appropriate forum I am happy to oblige. Awesome avatar by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Phil,

uhh I see, I may got your wrong, sorry for that

But let´s take a discussion way from this - I am really interesting in your point of view

See you in kickstarter

Thanks for the Avatar, I love it^^ (too?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooo... I'd love to hear more about the Legacy aspect of this game. Any exciting thoughts/tidbits/whatever you would like to share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SomewhatDamaged wrote:
Sooo... I'd love to hear more about the Legacy aspect of this game. Any exciting thoughts/tidbits/whatever you would like to share?

In order to avoid writing an overly large essay on the subject, I invite you to read the overly large essay I've written on my website:

http://www.cephalofair.com/2015/02/turn-rpg-board-game-147-e...

I get to the point after the picture with the kittens, and the core is probably in this paragraph:

"And that’s really what persistent legacy games should be about – unlocking cool new stuff to try out and explore with a pace that keeps players constantly interested. So as players play, they see their own character grow in power and get ever closer to completing their career goal, they are constantly unlocking new dungeons to explore, new items to try out and new enemies to fight, they are progressing through a compelling story that they have a hand in creating, and they’re improving the central town, which gives them access to more powerful items and new characters to play."

Does that help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
SomewhatDamaged wrote:

In order to avoid writing an overly large essay on the subject, I invite you to read the overly large essay I've written on my website:

http://www.cephalofair.com/2015/02/turn-rpg-board-game-147-e...

I get to the point after the picture with the kittens, and the core is probably in this paragraph:

"And that’s really what persistent legacy games should be about – unlocking cool new stuff to try out and explore with a pace that keeps players constantly interested. So as players play, they see their own character grow in power and get ever closer to completing their career goal, they are constantly unlocking new dungeons to explore, new items to try out and new enemies to fight, they are progressing through a compelling story that they have a hand in creating, and they’re improving the central town, which gives them access to more powerful items and new characters to play."

Does that help?

It does. Sounds closer to the legacy style of pathfinder acg rather than say risk legacy. Would that be a fair assessment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SomewhatDamaged wrote:
It does. Sounds closer to the legacy style of pathfinder acg rather than say risk legacy. Would that be a fair assessment?

I wouldn't say that's entirely accurate. Yes, the character progression somewhat resembles Pathfinder, but that comparison fails to capture the scope of the world progression discussed in the post (i.e. evolution of the town and its shops, unlocked character classes and scenarios, non-linear story, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
SomewhatDamaged wrote:

I wouldn't say that's entirely accurate. Yes, the character progression somewhat resembles Pathfinder, but that comparison fails to capture the scope of the world progression discussed in the post (i.e. evolution of the town and its shops, unlocked character classes and scenarios, non-linear story, etc.).

So a bit of both worlds then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SomewhatDamaged wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:
SomewhatDamaged wrote:

So a bit of both worlds then?

I suppose so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can better compare this wolrd progressen (as far as I allready read) to Mage Knight when 1 Big City is revealed.

After that day, you have access to more powerful troops to recrute.

Before just the silver/normal, after discovering the City you have access also to "golden / elite" troops.

I guess with a bit imagination you can do it also with risk evolution, whenever you can add new stickers to a faction, so the faction improve/changed.

Hopefully I understand Isaac corretly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally came around to read the posts (some of them, at least... I've just finished Character Mechanics)... and I must say I'm really impressed by your idea.

If you manage to pull that off... with all of those ideas (character progression, making every class feel different and balanced, evolving world that makes you feel like you're a part of that evolution, missions that feel different, etc...) and making a game that plays well... It'll rocket into my favorite games ever.

Can't wait to know more about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.