14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for U.S. revolution wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] wargames [+] [View All]
RJ Kenney
msg tools
Hello! I am new to this site and wargaming and I am looking to find a
American revolution game that is not too complex. I already have Civil War and Agean Strike from Victory Games and they were too complex for my current tastes. Another thing that would be nice is possibility of solitaire play, as family intrest in wargames is nil.

to summarize:

1. American revolution

2. low to moderate

3. posibility of solitaire play

I would appreciate any suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolf
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We the People

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only a couple of choices, most currently out of print.

First off,

We the People

OOP, and not playable really solitaire. A newer version of this should be coming out within a year or so, titled Washington's War.

Next up

Also OOP, but playable solitaire, (except for the battle matrix).

There's Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83 an in print block game treatment, but some folks don't think highly of it and I don't know anything much about it.

There's and old American Heritage game called Skirmish that is low-complexity, but again, OOP and hard to find except on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Stainbrook
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1776 is fun solitaire. Plus the box art is cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT's Revolutionary war titles should fit your needs perfectly. I recommend either Saratoga or Guilford as a first game. Guilford is actually two games in one, but I feel that Saratoga is the most balanced of the games.

Brandywine (same series) is even better, but bigger and perhaps a bit intimidating if you are new to these types of games. Savannah (same series) is a siege and thus perhaps more of an acquired taste. All of of these are tactical games of low to moderate complexity. They share a common rule book, so once you know the base rules you can play all the games in the series.

1777 Year of the Hangman by Clash of Arms is also a good American Revolutionary war game, though it is strategic rather than tactical. It covers the whole Philadelphia campaign. Complexity is low-moderate.

There are quite a few photos of these games posted here at BGG, so check them out. I know this because I posted many of them myself.

All the above games rate about a 4 on a 10 scale for complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a lower level tactical Revolutionary wargame--try Worthington Games Clash for a Continent: Battles of the American Revolution and French & Indian War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to comment on solitaire play.

The GMT series works better solitaire than does 1777, because there is no fog of war. In 1777 you can't see what's in your opponent's stack. It would be difficult to bluff yourself.

The GMT series of games has an optional rule for "tactics chits" to play in combat, and this creates a neat little game-within-a-game of bluffing. This aspect doesn't work too well solitaire, although people have tried and come up with some methods to incorporate the tactics chits into their solitaire games (see the BGG entry on these games for details). However, the tactics chits are an optional rule and in no way necessary to enjoy the games. I usually leave them out just to speed up game play, though it's occasionally fun to throw them in for a face to face game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone was unsure of how the block game Liberty played. I can comment on this. The game is quite excellent in the way the war plays out and the asymetrical strategies of the different armies.
I actually like this game much more than Hammer of the Scots. Solo play would be somewhat poor as the blocks do add the 'fog of war' that would be missing while playing solo.
I would probably second looking at Clash for a Continent (I have a solo play of Bunker Hill posted here under the game session section).
link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/502569#502569
I also own Guilford by GMT, which can be bought delivered for <$20.00 on eBay (if you look hard enough). I have not played it yet, but I am looking forward to playing it and it will probably be solo.
Good luck with the gaming!
ScottH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Check out this LIST of "FREE Wargames" here and especially upon #-17:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/6177

You may even want to enlarge that up to twice or double its 'size' then.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Kenney
msg tools
Thanks for the advice folks. I guess i'll go with gmt's saratoga as I can then play the others in the series without learning all new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider GMT's Guilford (same series) instead. It's cheaper, a bit simpler, and you get two maps / battles in the one box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Phil, at least partly. Guilford is indeed cheaper, and you get two games in one. However, I disagree that it is simpler. And Saratoga is the best balanced of the games in the series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Kenney
msg tools
Got Guilford on saturday. Two main reasons were:

1 The two maps
2 It was advertized with "special play aids" (whatever they are)

Also it was fairly cheap,and sarstoga is fairly cheap also, so I can et it too if I like the system-we shall see...

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
we have a copy of 1776 for sale at our shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.