Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks,

So, I did this playthrough of Eldritch Horror and I had some viewers pointing out a mistake I made... or not. There are two different opinions.

If you go to my video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQDo_Z1Rrk&list=PLXHOfQ8Jo5...) and go to timestamp 4:54 there is this Sea encounter where I'm ambushed by a Serpent People Monster. If I pass the Horror test, it talks to me about its past and I get the clue. If I fail the strenght test, I get bitten (and poisoned)...

The one viewer says I shouldn't fight the creature after 'convincing' it to tell me about its past, the other viewer says I still had to fight it.

Pure thematicaly, the first idea sounds more logic: why would the creature still try to bite you after revealing its past? On the other hand, the card doesn't say you don't have to fight, even when you got the clue...

My opinion after some thinking about it: I should do the strenght test as well (maybe it is as in the James Bond movies where the villain reveals all his plans to Bond and (foolishly) leaves him behind to die)... but it doesn't feel right thematicaly in my opinion.

Wow, long post... what do you all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing in the card text or the monster text that says you can avoid the Strength test, so you would still have to take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You played this right on the video. Being ambushed means you have to do a combat encounter based on the monsters stats.

Winning the Clue via a successful Will Test is the main bonus; losing ANY Health during the Str Test is the scary part!

As you guessed, the Serpent Creature would torment you with it's past as you face off against each other, not realising he was giving you another clue to the investigators quest, before shredding old Barney badly!!!

Keep up the good work with the vids! ... Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What? Are you saying that villains taking time to deliver their monologues makes no thematic sense???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
What? Are you saying that villains taking time to deliver their monologues makes no thematic sense???

Not unless they're republic serial villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
VetruvianGamer wrote:
If I fail the strenght test, I get bitten (and poisoned)...
Not really the question at hand, but just for the sake of completeness, that's not what the card says.

A test, even a combat test, is "successful" (and thus "not failed") when there's even one success - even if a mechanic like combat or spellcasting makes more successes than 1 useful or desirable.

The card asks for "not taking any damage" though, which is a stricter requirement than merely "not fail".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For this encounter, if you lose any HEALTH during the STR Test you will suffer the Poisoned Condition effect, and that Serpent Pest is one nasty biter!

Here's the card ...

... to see what's written ... Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.