Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know why Rococo is priced at MSRP on CoolStuffInc.com? It is very rare to see a game that is not marked down around 30%.

I recently watched a review and was pretty impressed, but I don't think I was $60 impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eagle Griffin price fixes their games. Take a look at the Age of Empires III kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy it on amazon.de for about $25 (yes, in English), including shipping (that is, amortized, assuming you order other stuff as well). Not sure what the total price would be if you ordered just that, but I'm sure it would be under $60.

I'm not a fan of price fixing by Eagle (and Mayfair, and whoever else). I ended up buying it from Eagle, somewhat begrudgingly, and I have to admit, I'm not disappointed. The game really is great. But if I could do it again, I would order from amazon.de.

Disclosure: I work for Amazon, but I normally buy games from online game shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
Eagle Griffon price fixes their games. Take a look at the Age of Empires III kickstarter.

All publishers will fix the price of their games. But that doesn't explain why Rococo is still at MSRP everywhere. Look at Francis Drake, which is published by Eagle, it has been below MSRP many times.

My guess is that the inventory is low in the first print and the price won't go down until more copies are readily available. The only stores I see that have them in stock are CSI, Time Well Spent and of course Eagle.

You can get Rococo from Eagle's website for MSRP, and it includes the promo tiles if interested. That is what I did, if you're forced to spend MSRP, you might as well get added promo's for "free".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a thread talking about ordering from amazon.de: [AMAZON.DE] Many great deals!

I personally ordered three copies of Rokoko (the name of the German-market Rococo with English and German rules) for myself and two friends. I ended up paying under US$90 total for 3 copies, including shipping!

On warning: the games in my order came in perfect condition but I was not at all impressed with the packing. Other people reported damage in shipping and considering the boxing done on my order, I consider myself lucky that nothing happened.

BTW, there are a fair number of people selling (I assume) amazon.de sourced copies in the Geekmarket for around $40. If you can find one near you to minimize shipping costs, you may be able to get one for under $50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
12thManStanding wrote:
All publishers will fix the price of their games.

No, not really. Not sure why you would say that.

12thManStanding wrote:
My guess is that the inventory is low in the first print and the price won't go down until more copies are readily available.

Rococo is "special" for some reason. For the longest time it was only available directly from Eagle. Lots of discussion already. For example: Where can I buy this game other than "Eagle Games"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
12thManStanding wrote:
All publishers will fix the price of their games.

No, not really. Not sure why you would say that.
Because he doesn't know what was meant by "fix".

All publishers establish a MSRP, but some publishers adopt a Minimum Advertised Price policy which requires retailers/distributors to advertise the game at or above a certain price. Or if they advertise the game below the MAP, the publisher can refuse to sell the game to them.

This means that online stores will only sell the game at or above that price... as listing the game for sale at a price is effectively advertising it at that price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leoncavallo
United States
Rockland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy of Rococo from Amazon.de. Price, including shipping, was $40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokoko is great. I got my copy from Amazon.de delivered to the UK.

There are lots of other great deals on Amazon.de too. Postage to the UK is about 8 Euro for a game like Rokoko but that rises only very slightly if additional games get added to the order.

I don't know how expensive postage to the US would be, but it might be worthwhile checking how much/little it rises if further items are added.

I have got Kanban, Madeira, zhanguo, vinhos, coal baron, la isla, Strasbourg and others at great prices over the last few months. Usually ordering 2 or 3at a time to take advantage of postage. There has been at least one very active thread running on the Hot Deals Europe forum discussing Amazon.de board game deals.

Chris

Edit oops Ted already provided a link to the relevant forum thread above

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember being interested in Rococo when it first came out, but Eagle's pricing scheme pretty much killed all interest. There are already way more good games than time to play them, so it's easy just to choose something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can currently get it from Amazon.de for $35 shipped. That's pretty crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish is had known about amazon.de I finally ended up getting the game on a ding and dent sale for $38. I listed after this game for over a year after I played it, but the crazy price kept me away this whole time. The quality of the gameplay is worth MSRP, but the components are nothing fancy for that price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.