Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: (German) games that students can play & practice language rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Varela
msg tools
Hi all! I have a situation that I hope someone may be able to help out with. My wife is on the organizing committee for the annual "German Day" at her university, where high school students come in and participate in cultural activities, contests, etc. We thought it might be more fun if the students that won the spelling bee, video contest etc, didn't just get the generic prize of a German dictionary or some promotional picture book about Berlin, but rather that the school got a game that they could take back and play with their local German Club. So basically I am looking for suggestions for games that are

A. from Germany or a German-speaking country
and
B. can be played by high school-aged students learning the language.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca G
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Come to the dark side - we have cookieees.
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Anno Domini: America or any other of the series like Anno Domini: Deutschland or Anno Domini: Österreich / Anno Domini: Schweiz? Admittingly the latter proves to be problematic to me as well occationally whistle
I remember playing this in Spanish class which helped us memorising some dates and important events in history...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mb
Hm, as far as I can see, you have different options. Maybe there are some educational games designed to assist in learning a new language, but I doubt if they're fun games. When I get an english game, I don't want to improve language skills - I like to try a good game. Having to cope with instructions in another language is just a secondary condition to learn the game.

Then there's the group of modern classic gateways like Catan, Carcassonne or Ticket to ride. These games appeal to a lot of people and are usually easy to find, due to large print runs of the german editions. A slight drawback may be their language independency - once you translated and understood the rules, there's no reason to stop you fromplaying in any language you like.

A good choice may be games with a certain interaction between the players like Bohnanza. The game relies heavily on haggling and discussion. Doing that in a foreign language adds some extra challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
AmonRukh wrote:
Hi all! I have a situation that I hope someone may be able to help out with. My wife is on the organizing committee for the annual "German Day" at her university, where high school students come in and participate in cultural activities, contests, etc. We thought it might be more fun if the students that won the spelling bee, video contest etc, didn't just get the generic prize of a German dictionary or some promotional picture book about Berlin, but rather that the school got a game that they could take back and play with their local German Club. So basically I am looking for suggestions for games that are

and

Thanks in advance for any help!

does this mean you'll be buying several copies of the game to hand out to more than 1 person who receives a prize?

The anno Domini games could be good, but they migth not look to appealing. they certainly don't have much of a "wow factor".

I'm guessing you'll be ordering games form germany then?

I just checked amazon.de and they have stuff like Machi Koro for just 13 Euros. (not a very GERMAN game... but it's very accessible!). the german version also comes in a much smaller box than the US version.

(just seen they currently also have Rococo for 18 euros but that's probably pushing it.... probably you can get a bit too heavy for potential non-gamers).

You can also get Camel Up for 15 Euros.

I'm really having a hard time thinking of games that are specifically "german" unless you want to get something like Zug um Zug: Deutschland
or perhaps just a german copy of a classic like Settlers of Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Been thinking about this, and if you really are ordering from germay, "Ticket to Ride: Germany" really might be a nice and flavourful prize!

At just 26 Euros it's not too expensive either

(Disclaimer: i ahven't even played any of the TtR games, but some people consider them to be classics... so you can't really go too wrong)

http://www.amazon.de/Days-Wonder-851761-Zug-Deutschland/dp/B...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B. Hansen
Denmark
Odense N
flag msg tools
badge
"duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck duck" Ralph Wiggum .....
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game in german. My 14 year old daughter is planning to bring it to school and show her teacher. It was bought specifically to strengthen my daughters german. In german it is called "Es war einmal" and it comes in a smaller box(not as nice) than the english version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca G
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Come to the dark side - we have cookieees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want to give Black Stories a go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d highly recommend Team Work Original.

It can handle quite large numbers of players and is a lot of fun.
It is all about building phrases and the cards are quadrilingual so you can look at the english word if you´re not sure you got the German right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:

This shouldn't be too difficult.

Quote:

See this thread for recommendations on learning games: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/17215178#17215178

Do you want a game that actively teaches the players the Germany language? (Educational game)

Or do you want a game that can be played in German so that the pupils can play in German? (An easier communication game such as the suggested Bohnanza.)

Or do you just want an awesome game by a German author? (such as Uwe Rosenberg, Stefan Feld, Wolfgang Kramer, etc etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Despite being French I think Dixit would work well for this.

There is no language dependence on the cards but the students have to give a clue in the language you are using and they also need to be able to understand other peoples clues.

I imagine it could be fantastically competitive as people try to give clues using vocabulary that they think only one or two other people will know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.