Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So with 3 sets about to drop around 1 month after Yu-gi-oh dropped there's just no way I'm buying a gravity of each. It seems like Wiz Kids needs to pace themselves. I would probably pick up all three if they were 3 months apart but all in the same month!?

Poll
Which sets are you going to buy?
Yu-gi-oh
D&D
DC Justice League
Marvel Age of Ultron
      149 answers
Poll created by ironcates

Poll
Which would you buy if it was the only one in a 3 month timeframe?
Yu-gi-oh
D&D
DC Justice League
Marvel Age of Ultron
      143 answers
Poll created by ironcates

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
The Plains
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm just in for Marvel. If I hadn't bought in to Marvel, I probably would be interested in the D&D set. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see WizKids pump out a bunch of these sets and then stop supporting it in another year or so. Strike while the iron is hot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Cutler
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They didn't plan it this way. There was supposed to be a bigger gap until the strike happened on the west coast. They might not be able to afford to hold the stock to return to the original spacing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The poll went off the rails since we have more people buying now but wouldn't buy them if they were spaced out. Before it did, you had no difference on Age of Ultron, 10% less on the DC and 33% less on D&D and Yu-gi-oh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
The poll went off the rails

What does that even mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
ironcates wrote:

Oh, I got this one! Well... you see, polls only go in two directions... like rails... and if you go one place, you can't go the other... and sometimes you want to go somewhere else, but you can't get there... because you're on rails, see? Unless you're not.. and that's bad... because then you're not polar... and its always better to have your polls on your rails, then to have polls off rails... because you won't get anywhere if all you've got is a pole and no rail, right? So always stay on the straight and narrow, and keep an eye on your pole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
ironcates wrote:

If somebody answers the first poll but not the second, it messes with the validity of the poll. Granted, it's probably not valid anyway.

Maybe "going off the rails" is an American idiom that Brits aren't familiar with. Basically, it means something went wrong with a system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing they're banking on the crossover not being too great. I, for instance, am only interested in the Marvel and DC variations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
ironcates wrote:

If somebody answers the first poll but not the second, it messes with the validity of the poll. Granted, it's probably not valid anyway.

Maybe "going off the rails" is an American idiom that Brits aren't familiar with. Basically, it means something went wrong with a system.

I understand the idiom.

I don't understand why that invalidates the poll results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My big tip: buy sets of commons and uncommons on eBay. They're cheap and you get 2/3s of the set. Then you can decide which rares are worth buying. It's the sane way to buy Dice Masters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I believe the topic creator was trying to determine how many people would have bought into multiple sets if there was a reasonable amount of time between their releases. Since YGO and D&D (and possibly DC - anyone's guess at this point) released fairly close together, it might cause some people who were going to invest in both to only invest in one.

At least, that's what I think he was going for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I understand the idiom.

I think the OP feels that since the poll did not support his original theory that it is not valid.

Statistically, this poll shows that people are buying into the release schedule rather than not, regardless of the schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course we are. We are suckers for punishment. I love the collecting, my biggest concern is finding the ultimate storage solution for Dice Masters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmair62 wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
I understand the idiom.

I think the OP feels that since the poll did not support his original theory that it is not valid.

Since there's different number of respondents to each poll, and no mechanism to make sure the respondents are the same even if they do match, it does call the validity into question. As a self-selected internet poll it wouldn't be "valid" for some purposes even if constructed correctly, but it's not constructed correctly.

Which doesn't mean the results are not interesting.

Quote:
Statistically, this poll shows that people are buying into the release schedule rather than not, regardless of the schedule.

On its face, it shows that some people are buying into the release schedule *because* it's not spaced out, which is certainly a counterintuitive result to me. As of this post (98 respondents to first poll, 94 respondents to second poll), if we assume that all 94 respondents to the second poll also answered the first, we find that:

-2 to 2 people buying YGO would NOT buy YGO if it were spaced out.
7 to 11 people buying D&D would NOT buy D&D if it were spaced out.
-2 to 2 people buying DC would NOT buy DC if it were spaced out.
6 to 10 people buying M:AoU would NOT buy M:AoU if it were spaced out.

Given the high rate of DC adopters, it seems likely the release schedule has no significant effect on DC purchases. Given the low rate of YGO adopters, it seems likely at least one YGO purchaser would not do so if releases were spaced out. And it seems that a significant number of D&D and AoU purchasers (planned) would NOT buy it if the releases were spaced out by 3 months.

So I have to wonder what about spacing out the releases makes purchasing it could make it less attractive? I'm planning on 3 of 4 myself, but I would *prefer* that they be spaced out instead of clustered. Can someone who picked Yes in the first poll and No in the second poll please elaborate on your thinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree.

The polls may not be producing the data the OP was hoping for, and never would.

But the results are valid and interesting in and of themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Del Arroz
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah this release space is super tough and for people who really like to get involved and into stuff, I think it's going to turn some folk off to the game. Most of us I think are just interested in superhero properties, D&D is neat and cool, and then there's Yugioh, which really only Yugioh people are interested in.

That said, they do just keep reprinting these, so it's not like there's a rush to get your collections if you need to hold off for a sec to pace it. Just get the couple cards you need for decks and then pick up the rest later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really felt like I was in it for Marvel only. My son may collect DC and it will be cool for us to battle and mix the sets occasionally, but I had no interest in Yu-gi-oh or D&D....until I saw the D&D cards. They seem so awesome! Artwork blew me away and I love some of the mechanics I'm seeing. Maybe I will try D&D too....

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cheipaz geimur
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Only in for Marvel & DC

if they announce Disney Dice Masters or Nintendo Dice Masters or something like that, then just kill me now because I won't be able to control myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, if you are not playing this D&D set you are really missing out. Incredible gameplay. Best set thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.