XCOM: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official clarification from FFG on some items rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micah Paroni
United States
California
flag msg tools
A while ago I posed a couple of questions to FFG. Lukas Litzsinger responded today, I posted his answers below my questions.

1. If the players have managed to capture every enemy in the enemy deck, how are enemy tasks handled when a new mission is revealed?

ANSWER: If there are no more enemies available to place on a new mission or the base, then simply do not place those enemies. Enemy mission tasks with no enemies on them are completed without rolling.

2. At exactly what point can the chief scientist use the Laboratory to discard salvage to add a die to a research task?

ANSWER:The Chief Scientist can use the Laboratory and discard salvage only during the resolution of that task (you cannot add dice to a task until you have at least 1 die to roll).

3. What if the Commander wants to use something like Firestorm? Does the Commander need to wait until the "Global Defense" step of resolution, or can it be used as soon as the Resolution Phase begins?

ANSWER: The Commander can use the Firestorm tech card at any time he wants to during the Resolution Phase, provided there is an Interceptor assigned to that continent. He or she does not have to wait for the resolution of Global Defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Nice, 2 and 3 there can serve as precedent to answer almost any timing issue that come up, ie no-shenanigans if its resolution related and shenanigans-ok if it is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moriarity
Canada
flag msg tools
I hate #1. When we play, if we have all the cards, we'll play it so that whenever an alien needs to be drawn and placed, it comes at random from the salvage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
how often does the enemy deck run out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Never happened to me after ~10 plays .

We were either dead or done before it runs out .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pork1979 wrote:
how often does the enemy deck run out?

You would have to do it deliberately - most games, the Chief Scientist happily spends salvage as fast as it comes in.

With your base in South America, Archangel Armor researched Round 1, Thin Men in play, and the crisis that makes the first non-Thin Man enemy you kill self-replace coming up twice, you could, with an incredibly lucky (and stubborn) Squad Leader get all 21 salvage by the end of Round 2 - you'd have to hit all 5 self-replacing Thin Men as actual enemies rather than as any of the 4 cards you auto-salvage, you'd have to have 3 aliens for Base Defense both rounds, and you'd have to draw (and choose) a 2-alien mission both rounds too.

Realistically, with a good setup (base in South America, Archangel Armor early), and not spending any salvage, you'd be looking at running out of enemies before placing the (Final) Mission in Round 5 - and having spent maybe a dozen credits extra on research, or missed out on that much tech.

At best, it's a niche strategy with minimal payoff; at worst, it's a temptation to wreck your budget and doom yourselves to defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If we actually ran into this, I think I'd randomly pick a new enemy type from the box and add those to the enemy deck. 'cause I can't see the aliens stopping their invasion just because you're sitting on a stack of corpses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
If we actually ran into this, I think I'd randomly pick a new enemy type from the box and add those to the enemy deck. 'cause I can't see the aliens stopping their invasion just because you're sitting on a stack of corpses.

I don't know, as deterrents go, sitting on a throne made from the corpses of fallen enemies seems like it would be pretty effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capoeirista wrote:
beri wrote:

I don't know, as deterrents go, sitting on a throne made from the corpses of fallen enemies seems like it would be pretty effective.

Skulls for the Skull Throne?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
I'm largely sold on the consensus nowadays, but now also got an answer to this ole question:

Q: Does an enemy card on a mission card count as only an enemy task or both an enemy and mission task? (for interaction with various effects like SHIV)
Answer: An enemy task on a mission is both an enemy task and a mission task, and so you can use the SHIV against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.