7 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Geek rating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Di Bitonto
msg tools
Hi guys,
i have a stupid question: how does the geek rating work?

All the reviews i read about Cthulhu Wars rate it as a good or excellent game but in the rank is in the 1088th place...
Am i missing something?

One day, in a really distant future, i would like to convince my friends to buy this game with me... but only if there is a good game included with the fantastic miniatures

We really loves CitOW and i think this game could be a nice alternative to it (more than AGoT or Kemet, that i both own but we liked much less) but considering how much expensive it is i have to be really, and with really i mean REALLY, sure about the value of the game.

I'm absolutely NOT saying that if i have to buy a game the most important thing is the rank, in fact i really dislike most of the top rated games of BGG (i usually hate eurogame) but Twilight Struggle for example is hands down my favourite of all time...

I hope to have explained my thoughts clearly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogreye77 wrote:
i have a stupid question: how does the geek rating work?

All the reviews i read about Cthulhu Wars rate it as a good or excellent game but in the rank is in the 1088th place...
Am i missing something?

GeekRating is the average of the actual ratings, plus some large number of dummy 5.5 votes, to prevent games with just a few ratings from having very high or very low ratings. As more people rate a game, the GeekRating will approach the average rating. GeekRating also has some kind of anti-shill detection (e.g. if you create an account just to rate a game a 10, that rating will basically be ignored by the system).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Di Bitonto
msg tools
Hi Andrés and thank you for the reply! Do you also know how much dummy votes are assigned to every game? Because Cthulhu doesn't have many votes and i was thinking that maybe this dummy votes can low the average. Can this be true in your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
The number of dummy votes and how the system works exactly is a secret. The reason for this is that as soon as you tell someone exactly how something works they will figure out a way to get around it.

The purpose of the system is to reduce the ranking for games with low numbers of ratings so this not only can happen, it is expected. Imagine a game which only the designer and their immediate family has played and they all naturally rate it a 10. With an average of 10 is this really likely to be a better game than something which has thousands of ratings and an average of 9?

I wouldn't worry about the ranking for CW at the moment. It is not even available at retail yet. It should climb out of its current position when it is widely available to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
To decide if Cthulhu Wars is something you'd enjoy, I urge you to check out the Session Reports and the Reviews. There are plenty now to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
ogreye77 wrote:

Now ranked 1046. Might break 1000 over the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
CW's BGG ranking was something like 3,500 around the time the first physical copies started arriving with backers. Closing in on 1,000 represents a lot of progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.