Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica
Lewis & Clark
RoboRally

Which of the above or something else? I'm not looking for anything too serious. Just something that is kind of fun and quick. I know Lewis & Clark doesn't exactly fit from what I've just said, but it looks interesting.

*EDIT*
Thank you everyone that helped. I ended up picking Robo Rally and Jamaica in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun and quick is Jamaica for sure. Roborally can be but often can take forever if you use a lot of boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
Ave Caesar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Rad
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jamaica is fun for a lighter game. Easy to teach to non gamers but there is quite a bit of randomness involved. Not sure about the others but I have just ordered RoboRally so hopefully that's enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are 3 radically different games. And of course, those are by no means the only racing games out there. So a lot of your decision will come down to theme.

Jamaica: do you like pirates and have 3+ players?
RoboRally: can you handle random chaos, time pressured programming, take that, and routine semi-random death? For me, all of that couples well with taking the game lightly. And yes, more than 1 board and the time goes up. OTOH, lots of variety. I feel more like a survivor than a racer though.

I'm looking forward to the release of Steampunk Rally as a themed racing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mooney
United States
Troy
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Formula One is easy, fast and fun. No dice for movement. An older game that still works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I would call any of those games racing games. Jamaica might be the best of the group but if you really want a simple good racing game go with: Ave Caesar, Power Boats, or Snow Tails
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Argiro
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark is one of my favorite games, but it's definitely not quick.

If you want something ridiculous, check out Hot Rod Creeps. It's quick, fun, and quite enjoyable if you like Cryptozoic type humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite racing themed game is Rallyman, great dice rolling and highly thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
I'm not looking for anything too serious. Just something that is kind of fun and quick.

I recommend this

The Hare & the Tortoise

Just bought it a few weeks back and my family has really been enjoying it. Cheap price, it plays really quick, it's lots of fun trying to manage which cards to play to get your animal to win and the deck are really balanced. It's a blast watching one of the animals come from behind and win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D is my go to racing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D is fantastic and very thematic (the dashboard and components help)
Rush n Crush is a great one with weapons and more player interaction as you shoot one another.
Whitewater is also great and has a unique but thematic co-op element as you partner up to paddle and steer your raft. One that often gets overlooked, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
K2 ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those 3, Jamaica seems like the obvious choice.

I think the alternatives Ave Caesar, Mississippi Queen, Fast Flowing Forest Fellers are really good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Rees
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really really like Lewis & Clark... So, I'd recommend that.

But, I'd also like to suggest Camel Up if you're looking for a lighter/party game... Though it is more of a betting-on-a-race game than a racing game. But, still, fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to thank everyone that helped out. I ended up going with Jamaica and Robo Rally for now. I have some new games on my radar thanks to everyone, but I felt that the games I chose would probably fit best with my kids for their birthdays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.