Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: Do the clans have special abilities? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they were identical, but some are saying grab the add-on for variability. Do the clans have a unique trait/ability that only there faction possess'?

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, variability comes from drafting the god cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
The preview rulebook states the leaders and ships have special abilities printed on the player boards but don't define them. These may well be different. Eric Lang has said the game starts a little bit asymmetrical and gets more so as the game progresses (upgrades and clan improvement). I assume the leader and ship abilities are the most likely place for that starting asymmetry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
The preview rulebook states the leaders and ships have special abilities printed on the player boards but don't define them. These may well be different. Eric Lang has said the game starts a little bit asymmetrical and gets more so as the game progresses (upgrades and clan improvement). I assume the leader and ship abilities are the most likely place for that starting asymmetry.

On the Kickstarter comments they are saying there is no difference between the clans at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lang
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Clans do not have special abilities printed on their sheets, correct.

It was an obvious design choice, and I tried the game with special abilities to maximize asymmetry. But very quickly during testing we realized that the results of the draft differentiate players so much, and players upgrade so often and dynamically, that specials were getting in the way.

My aim with Blood Rage is to create a meaty, flavorful but streamlined strategy game that gives players maximum freedom to create their own special power tree. Because of how the draft works, players are completely asymmetrical (based on their choice of 6 cards) before the first player takes the first action of the game, that Clan abilities served only to complicate the game and shoehorn players into a direction.

No matter what specials were designed, they would synergize with some cards, and I did not want players to feel bad if they didn't get "their" cards by luck of the draw. Instead, the game rewards you for both finding a strategy through card synergies, and being flexible enough to adapt when needed.

Players who appreciate my style of asymmetrical design should enjoy Blood Rage. I just chose a different path from my other games; emergent asymmetry.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric, good design choice.

My question was really aimed at whether I was going for the expansion or not. It seems if you aren't going to play with 5 players you are really just getting it for the mini's.

Thanks!

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.