Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Some helpful reference for painting the miniatures in the digital art book rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the arrival of my base game now imminent (on the truck cool) I was perusing Richard Luong's art book to try a curtail my overexcitement. The illustrations of the models have some interesting descriptive notes regarding the creatures. I guess these are a combination of Richard's interpretations and any of Sandy's specific design requirements.

Some of the notes are quite specific regarding colour, structure and anything specific on the base. Hastur for example, has all white eyes, except for the one in the centre of the forehead. The King in Yellow's mask is described as being made of tightly wound flesh strips that have dried and hardened.

There are really no hard and fast rules for colour schemes, but if you are looking for inspiration, you'll find it here in cesspit quantities.

As an aside, I wanted to pass out a mass compliment to the folks that have painted and shared pics. The work that I've seen, as diverse as the styles are, has been tremendous, even from novice painters. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures as the remainder of the core game deliveries are completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bruce, I have been considering painting the figs but don't want to get too much away form the color scheme that the factions already have. I am considering priming, dry brushing in the factions color and then inking/washing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John, I've noticed a few people have done just that with their models, and I intend to do the same. I'll paint the figures in 'realistic' colours but I will be sure to keep the colour palette leaning toward the original faction colours.

The cultists for instance can have the detailing on their robes done in the faction colours. The King in Yellow will have yellow tatters. You can do some pretty amazing glow techniques by wet blending paints. Eyes really look great if you apply a base glow colour around the eye socket, then the actual eye colour, then swirl in a little highlight colour on the eye itself before the paint dries completely. It gives it a very organic appearance.

The design of the miniatures is terrific for ink washes and dry brushing. There is a wealth of surface detail that will pick up the highlights. With your dry brushing, apply a basecoat first, then wash, then use a lighter shade of your basecoat for your dry brushing. This re-keys your colour back to the original colour you used before the wash was applied, and makes the wash work as shadow detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Will
United States
Hays
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really surprised by Richard's notes about the gates. I was planning to paint mine with a blue glow effect similar to the art on the cardboard gates.
After reading Richard's description gulp, I see that I'll need to stock up on an extra bottle of Secret Weapon's "Drying Blood" wash. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a really good blood paint in Citadel's technical range too. They also have a wicked, gooey oozey yellow too.

I really love the blue glow colour in the art, and I was planning on doing that on the floor pattern with some blood effects on the surrounding rocks and bowls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tamiya Clear Red X-27 is great for making blood effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.