Subject: Flank Speed - Another solo variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently tried out the solo variant that shipped with Arctic Bounty. I liked but found it a little complicated, so I've started trying to streamline the rules a little. In this variant, which uses the base game only, the auction phase is replaced with the suburbia style buying mechanic that I posted about here. You are playing against a single opposing captain who will either buy a card or launch a boat depending on the outcome of a boat card flip. To keep the market interesting, an additional boat card flip is used to determine whether an additional license is removed from the game at random. Also unlike the official solo rules, you don't get a 2 card draw if you don't make a license purchase. This is something that might need to change if it turns out the game isn't sufficiently balanced, but hopefully the fact that the captain doesn't buy every round and that you only have one opponent should compensate for that.

The current draft of the rules can be found HERE ON DROPBOX and they also serve as a playmat. The pdf is formatted to fit a single US Letter page. When you print it, you should turn off any print scaling and enable the borderless printing feature of your printer if it has one. I'll put the pdf in the files section so long as the rightholders are OK with my use of the game art.

Hope a few of you try it out. Let me know if there are issues with either the instructions or the file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A few rule clarifications:

0. These are rules for the base game only. I don't have the expansion so don't know what would need to change.
1. In the setup, I didn't include the rule to discard 4 common licenses used in the 3 player game. I've noticed this results in rarely getting through the license deck, so this might need to be included.
2. In the auction phase, if there is a tie for highest VP among the 3 licenses, the opposing captain takes the lowest positioned one. (Also, same for the discarded license)
3. At the end of the auction phase, if no licenses were purchased or discarded, discard all 3 licenses and refresh with new licenses.
4. End game scoring, the opposing captain scores King crab bonuses.

This will be fixed soon.

I just played a full game where I won 67 to 60, and had a previous game where I won 70 to 50. So if anything the game might be too easy. I am thinking about ways to have the captain take advantage of the licenses he owns when he deploys his fleet. e.g. license might allow the captain to deploy boats more frequently, buy licenses more frequently or both. But wary of making the game fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks interesting, and I'm curious if you (or anyone else) has tried to use this as a 2 player variant?

It seems to me that some simple tweaking (in the auction phase, for example, the two players bid for the first, the 2nd player uses the "add on" part on the mat, then use the "draw rules" for the AI captain.) this would fairly well without all the fiddly-ness of the "official" one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No haven't tried this version as a 2p. I have tried as a straight 2p (i.e. no dummy) with this variant a couple of times: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1274281/alternatives-auctio...

but I wasn't completely satisfied. Need more fiddling with the cost ramp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls